mtbr member

Training advice for Leadville (and longer events)?

I have sent my entry in for Leadville, but if I don't get in, I still plan to sign up for other 100's in CO. I did Leadville in 1997, and just basically rode lots of miles. I wasn't fast, but finished just fine. Almost 10 years and 1 kid later, I am much more time constrained, and I am wondering if there is a more efficient way to train for these races. Do many of you focus more on anaerobic training - long intervals at high atlitude - or do you just go out and ride for 10-15 hours at a hard pace?

Steve, who is anxiously waiting for the mail from Leadville...

mtbr member
    Finding time to ride is tough these days. As a father of 3 and work full time in a frickin office...I find that I am able to train early in the morning or late at night. During the week I am able to get 2.5 hrs/day riding trainer, or roads, or trails. On the weekend I am able to get at least one ride of 4hrs in. I find that the longer rides are best performed on the road bike. As for altitude training...take the family for a weekend getaway to Leadville or Breckenridge or Steamboat or where-ever and sneak out for a long ride or Ride to the destination and meet up with the family.

If you want to improve your climbing, do hill repeats on the road bike. This will improve your endurance and strength and can be performed in 1 - 2hrs.

Team Cspine

Try this...

I singed up for Lynda's 100 mile finisher plan because I'm taking my first shot at one of these darn things in Laramie!

She has a nice site and always answers questions in the forums fairly quickly.
    Sorry what?

Members who have read this thread: 0