Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Toughest Endurance Race

22K views 101 replies 61 participants last post by  Mike123456 
#1 ·
Tough... difficult... epic... whatever.. Consider what you want (technical, length, duration, level of competition, weather, percent of racers who finish, etc.), but no fixed criteria... based on your own perceptions.

Basically, what is the most challenging race out there for those who like to go long on dirt.

I'll put out the third stage of the OMD in Portugal this year. OH MEU DEUS :: TRAIL BIKE :: NOTÍCIAS

August in Portugal with 500km (Euro-miles?),13,000m of vertical and a 66h time limit. Mostly fire roads with some singletrack and a few sections of pavement. First aid station was 90km in... I didn't finish the joint, so I hope they make it harder next year... I don't want any of that "well last year was tougher" after I roll the finish in 2013.

This thread has probably already been covered, but it is time for a refresher.

#37 ·
Remembering some of dicky's old blog posts on the pisgah deathmarches....i dont doubt they are a serious competitor for the hardest out there. Id love to suffer out there someday :)

#43 ·
One day race - Strathpuffer 24hr. Scotland, just north of Inverness, first weekend of January. It's dark for about 19hrs and usually snowing, quite a lot. You have to be a special kind of stupid to try that.

Most technical - Transvesubienne, La Colmaine to Nice, France. Less than 100km but took me nearly 12hrs, including the prolouge. 12,000ft of climbs and 20,000ft of downhill, and I was scared for pretty much all of the DH, never ridden anything like that before.

Iron Bike?

There was one in Finland that only 3 pairs finished from 100 starters, anyone know what that was? Mate did it and I can't remember the name.

#95 ·
One day race - Strathpuffer 24hr. Scotland, just north of Inverness, first weekend of January. It's dark for about 19hrs and usually snowing, quite a lot. You have to be a special kind of stupid to try that...
I'm that special type of stupid and on a rigid singlespeed. :)

I don't think it can be compared to one of the USA long distance epics, it's a different sort of beast. However in 24 hour circles it's held in high esteem, and solo positions sell out in under 2 minutes when it opens for entries.

The race depends on the weather. It's been a bit soft lately IMO, but it's been run on blizzard conditions and 80mph winds. Other times almost the entire course was sheet ice, and that was before we could get studded tyres.

As far as 24 hour races I've ridden, it's harder than the national 24 hour solo championships I've ridden - I also did the world 24 hours solo last year, and it's tougher than that IMO.

It's at its worst when the weather is "warm", ie sleet. It's really difficult to keep any heat in your body because there's usually wind too, and the mud become epic - I've seen an entire bike get submerged when the rider fell off on the wrong line.

It is on the bucket list of just about every 24 hour racer in this country, and the dread list of support crew because it is truly miserable for them. It's not in a trail centre, so there's no provided facilities or shelter other than the event marquee. I do it unsupported for this reason, just leave a pile of gear and food beside the track and just try to survive.

It is a notorious component wrecker. It's not unknown to get through several sets of brake pads - granite mud is abrasive - and some folk end up having to replace their entire drivetrain midrace.

Edit: just to clarify - all races are tough, because even if it's a flat loop you drive your body too hard, it's the conditions this one is run in that make it special. For example, a midsummer 12 hour race used to be run on the same loop as the StrathPuffer, and in the 12 hour I used to do as many laps in the 12 hours as I could do in the 24 hour.

#47 ·
Andrewh8877, Offroad Finnmark I think is the race you mean.

Difficult to decide on toughest race as its very subjective ... My day at Dirty Kanza was far harder than my Arrowhead 135 race as I hate the heat.

Yak Attack as a stage race is very tough as at 5400m there isn't much air :)

Salzkammergut Trophy is also a big day ... 211km and 7050m of climbing.

I think Trans Iowa willl top everything I have done to date but then I forsee events yet to run that will be tougher :)

#48 ·
Hi! does anyone of you consider : Craft 1000 miles Trans Czecho-Slovakia ?

Registration for the race is on the first of January 2013 at 0.00 pm.
According to 2012 experience all the places are taken within 60 minutes.

So if you plan a great adventure without any support at all, 1700km long, 38.000m elevation, average speed 10km/h Do not hesitate!:) The registration fee is only 200EUR and I promise it will be one of the hardest races you have ever riden.

#49 ·
Hi Cowan

I had tried to find this event on the internet a few weeks back but couldn't remember what it was called so thanks.

Have you ridden it ?? any idea how easy it is to get to the start and back from the finish ???

#50 ·
Hi Paul,
sure, happy to help :)
I´ve ridden the 2011. After few days it is all about your head. One can have a great shape, but when head fails...
You need a strong motive to keep going really fast. Otherwise you became gastro-tour zombie :)
I did not finish the 2012 /resp. finished 500miles only/ because lack of motivation when I arrived there.
You see, there is an option to finish only 500miles. If you decice so during the race.
The difficulty: it is very demanding. Even new bikes are wrecked in finish. New top forks stop to work after 3 days, holes in carbon frames, tires, broken alu frames..
I belive only Alaska Iditarod is tougher race because of the extreme temperatures and dangerous surface.

#51 ·
Thanks Cowan

If I come then it will be with a friend and we would be riding fully rigid singlespeed steel bikes ... extra low maintenance and ultra reliable :)

What airport would I need to fly to and how easy is it to get back from finish ??

#53 ·
Hi Paul, I agree :)
Unfortunately the registration is over.

But I belive if you register and write an request email, you will have a chance to start as VIP or so.
Jan Kopka does it so when foregin rider applies. Worth the try.

From finish it is best to take train to Praha and take a plane home.
How to get to the start? Well some racers take train from Praha.
You could also fly to Bratislava and take a train from there. But I am not an expert and there could be an better option.

#55 ·
You mean RAAM?
Yes, it is a different cup of tea. You are absolutely dependent on your support team.

On the other hand - 1000miles in terrain, all alone.. There are not many races where any kind of support is excluded.
RAAM distance: 4800km of tarmac, elevation: 32km, support: absolutly necessary - everything - even feeding, time limit: 12 days
1000miles adventure 2012: 1730km mostly terrain, elevation: 35km, support: 0, time limit: none (best did it in 8 resp. 9 days)

#62 ·
I try to be open minded about things, each to his own and all that.For example, I have no interest in ultra running, but respect that people do enjoy it.

I have to say though, that I think RAAM is kind of dumb. I watched a documentary on it once, after i felt it was the worst endurance I've ever heard of.

#60 ·
For a "short" race, the old Ouachita 80 mile course (with the two big climbs/descents put at the end of the course instead of the beginning, as they now do on the 60 miler) seemed pretty nasty. Plus, it's always in early April.

TI can be beyond painful, depending on the weather.

VT125 sounds painful and amazing at the same time :)

#64 ·
Interesting topic - like the breakdown of different style races.

FWIW 70 miles on > 95% single track I had never ridden (PCPT) seemed harder to me than Puff 100 climb and descend format (although the 2012 version a muddy sufferfest but that's beside the point). What's hard for one person, can be right in another's wheelhouse (more technical/DH versus grinding out miles).

IMHO the question is what's very hard but still maintains the reasons I love to ride my bike. So far Puff 100, PCPT fit the bill, BC bike and Transrockies are calling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.