Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    OMD in Portugal kicks off tonight. Only 10 doing it... the 66h cut-off for 300 miles will be brutal considering that temps are predicted in the 100s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    For some East Coast Love...Patapsco 100. 85% singletrack, 15k of climbing, some hike-a-bike. Almost 90% DNF's this year (100 starters)...the first year. I made two laps (66 miles) and it was tough. I'll be back next year.

Grip it and rip it.
    I challenge everyone here to do Iron Bike before giving an answer to this thread. I can't see how any mtb event could be tougher. The stats don't do it justice but an average day out of the eight days would have about 4500 meters of climbing over about 80km, which is around 8-11 hours every day for most riders. Oh, and you'll spend a few hours every day doing hike a bike too.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Love those Patapsco trails! Used to live in Columbia, MD... you're fortunate to have such great singeltrack.

DNF % is another way to look at it, I suppose. 100 miles on those super-twisted, rooty, slimy East Coast trails is no joke. Your 66 earns you a trip to the Wharf Rat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode the A-strecke (211, 7050 meter climbing) of the Salzkammergut Trophy this year. I needed 15 hours to complete the race. It is a very tough race for sure but much is depending on the circumstance you have during the race. This year it was almost perfect and that made it a relative easy race.

Most difficult race has to be the Ironbike in Italy. You can read a nice race report here from Matt Page who finished fifth : Iron Bike 2013 - Round-up & Photos - A Cycling

In totally he needed 50 hours to ride/walk the 620 km and climb 29.000 meters.

mtbr member
    Maah Daah Hey 100
    minimal aid, extreme temperatures (100+ deg this year), and unforgiving terrain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    Maah Daah Hey 100

That's on my list....

I heard its an amazing experience.

mtbr member
    OMD for 2014 is not on the calendar yet, but won't disappoint.
    We'd like to get more foreigners in the mix.
    Portugal in the summer should be an easy sell.

Part 1 of my race report linked below... Disclaimer: I'm a total hack at blogging and never found myself "in contention"
    Cycling Rentals

mtbr member

Re: Toughest Endurance Race

Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    Maah Daah Hey 100
    +1
    I think one would be hard pressed to find a tougher race than this. People look at the elevation profile and think "meh, that doesn't look so bad" and "its north dakota, how hot can it be?" But in reality, its absolutely brutal. I did a section of it last summer in temps in the 70s, and it was much more difficult than I anticipated. Couldn't imagine doing the 100 in 90+ degree heat.....as we say up north.....UFF DA!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Try this: Get Lost!! Running, Racing this year. It will be 40 hours in two stages in Henry Coe park, night and day. Since this is a rogaine (collect control points in any order), you can go as far or as little as you can. Oh, and you need to find your own way and plan the route. Not the longest of the toughest, but the format makes it more accessible to normal people. Solo, or teams up to five..

Henry Coe park means a LOT of climbing. And a lot of nice trails as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4