Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks Cowan

If I come then it will be with a friend and we would be riding fully rigid singlespeed steel bikes ... extra low maintenance and ultra reliable

What airport would I need to fly to and how easy is it to get back from finish ??
    shoestring-racing.blogspot.com

Derailleur? No thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This is a great thread.

mtbr member
    Hi Paul, I agree
    Unfortunately the registration is over.

But I belive if you register and write an request email, you will have a chance to start as VIP or so.
    Jan Kopka does it so when foregin rider applies. Worth the try.

From finish it is best to take train to Praha and take a plane home.
    How to get to the start? Well some racers take train from Praha.
    You could also fly to Bratislava and take a train from there. But I am not an expert and there could be an better option.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Race Across America is a brutal race.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 01-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    You mean RAAM?
    Yes, it is a different cup of tea. You are absolutely dependent on your support team.

On the other hand - 1000miles in terrain, all alone.. There are not many races where any kind of support is excluded.
    RAAM distance: 4800km of tarmac, elevation: 32km, support: absolutly necessary - everything - even feeding, time limit: 12 days
    1000miles adventure 2012: 1730km mostly terrain, elevation: 35km, support: 0, time limit: none (best did it in 8 resp. 9 days)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yaw, RAAM is what I meant to say. Guys break down with all kinds of ailments including kidney failure, pneumonia, etc. Guys seems to die from getting hit from cars. It would be a great accomplishment if you have the ability to do it.

mtbr member
    RAAM is really beyond my grasp. Racers sometimes do not know even where and who they are. It is like riding unconscious. Really extreme in this way.

On 1000miles you MUST stay conscious, or you get hurt or die. You can rely only on yourself.

mtbr member

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    RAAM does seem dangerous! I'm probably not single minded enough to stay on a road bike over 18 hours a day for 12 days. I am sure at some point I would say enough and quit. I just know me and I would....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For a "short" race, the old Ouachita 80 mile course (with the two big climbs/descents put at the end of the course instead of the beginning, as they now do on the 60 miler) seemed pretty nasty. Plus, it's always in early April.

TI can be beyond painful, depending on the weather.

VT125 sounds painful and amazing at the same time

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

ABSA Cape Epic

The ultimate in XC events... Cape Epic. This must be the benchmark for all stage races.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowan View Post
    RAAM is really beyond my grasp. Racers sometimes do not know even where and who they are. It is like riding unconscious. Really extreme in this way.

On 1000miles you MUST stay conscious, or you get hurt or die. You can rely only on yourself.
    I try to be open minded about things, each to his own and all that.For example, I have no interest in ultra running, but respect that people do enjoy it.

I have to say though, that I think RAAM is kind of dumb. I watched a documentary on it once, after i felt it was the worst endurance I've ever heard of.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yaw, just grinding away on a road bike would melt my brain down very quickly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Interesting topic - like the breakdown of different style races.

FWIW 70 miles on > 95% single track I had never ridden (PCPT) seemed harder to me than Puff 100 climb and descend format (although the 2012 version a muddy sufferfest but that's beside the point). What's hard for one person, can be right in another's wheelhouse (more technical/DH versus grinding out miles).

IMHO the question is what's very hard but still maintains the reasons I love to ride my bike. So far Puff 100, PCPT fit the bill, BC bike and Transrockies are calling.
    Go that way really fast......if anything gets in your way turn.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

A Couple More For Thought

Just a couple more to think about (not that I have ever done them/could do them)

Iron Bike bills itself as the hardest and from what I've seen it looks like it is pretty damn tough. I posted up some video and some links on my work blog if you want to check it out HERE.

The now defunct Montezuma's Revenge ranked up there for sure too. No one ever actually finished the entire proposed route in the time limit. Although Josh Tostado put in one of the longest attempts during his 2005 win by racing for 156 miles and climbing 32,350 feet in 24 hours.

Also to reiterate what some previous posters said Yak Attack ranks up there (no pun intended) for sure. That is one sick HIGH elevation race.

From what I have covered for XXC Magazine and xxcmag.com, some of the hardest races out there now seem to be the self supported ITTs for sure. Colorado Trail Race, Arizona Trail Race, the Grand Loop, Vapor Trail, Stagecoach 400, etc., Great races that are super hard and free. No prizes, no free t shirts, etc., but some BIG ass routes that can be conquered by racers (not me, ha!).
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by kingshredd View Post
    For its 56 miles and 11000 ft of climbing I vote Vision Quest in Southern California, happens each spring in the Cleveland national forest!

Thanks.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

psycho cyclo addict
    For a one-day event, the 15-hour Patapsco 100 is looking to be brutal (~5,500 ft. of climb over a 33 mile loop x 3). The Mid Atlantic heat in July will take the starch out of some for sure and with that in mind, I'd say it will be tougher than the SM 100.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Thanks.
    Sells out fast.

mtbr member
    I have raced p2p, vision quest, Breck epic, 12 hr lap... These are a cake walk compared to unsupported ultras. The stagecoach 400 was very difficult as it is a midrange (relative to CTR) so you are putting yourself into the red but still have a long way to go with variables. In a 24 hr lap race, you can change clothes, have a meal, fix bike, warm up, cool down or even quit. In the ultra ITTs at times you keep riding, moving or perish. There are no course markers which is another physical/mental drain. Things can interesting in the darkness when your Garmin dies and no cell reception in middle of nowhere.

mtbr member
    The Oh Meu Deus (OMD) is coming up... August 9-11... great time to visit Portugal!

I'd be happy to host a few people if anyone is making it over.

More info...
    http://www.horizontes.com.pt/
    500km, 16,000m of climbing 66h cutoff.

XCdude

Absa Cape- epic 15000 meters of climbing

800 kilometers, 100 degree temps all done in 8 days. The fastest mtb guys did it in 30 hrs. Thats 2 weeks of the Tour of France.
    Absa Cape Epic | The Untamed African MTB Race

mtbr member
    I still dream about a 150 mile MTB race with a course similar to the Wilderness 101 or SM100. Would have to set qualifications for entry, like finishing the SM101 in under 9:30 or the W101 in under 9:00 within the last year. Cut off times would be harsh and inflexible. Hold it on June 21st for the most daylight. Superfast people would finish in ~11 hours so normal fast and not doped would be finishing in ~ 13 hours.

nOOb
    May 2008
    This is how I feel about endurance races. If I want to walk my bike I'll just take up mountaineering and carry it with me.
    When I think about endurance racing that is fun I think of a few things:

It should be hard, training and being in good shape should be the minimum just to finish.
    It shouldn't kill you, you should be able to complete it tired, sore, but with a feeling of accomplishment. Of course fitness determines a lot of this, but I'm talking about someone in good shape already.
    It should be worthy of a mountain bike, not a road race, but it shouldn't be un-rideable. Anyone can make a course so tough that most people can't complete it, the challenge is to make it a challenge and fun imho.

I hope to sign up for the Breck. 100 this year depending on my work schedule. It looks like a challenge for me, I feel a little bit apprehensive contemplating it, which is good I think.

Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    People used to ask me why I didn't ever to Montezuma's Revenge. (or some reason I can't understand they thought it was right up my alley ) My reply was "because I have no desire to hump my bike over the top of Greys Peak in the middle of the night".

I'm the course designer of the Breck 100 and my philosophy has always been a little hike a bike is fine but keep it to not much more than 45 min or so. I think most people don't mind some walking, but most prefer to suffer while pedaling, not walking. When Thane changed loop 1 of the B100 to go up Miners Creek to the crest of the Ten Mile one year, the vast majority of the racers didn't like it because it added so much hike a bike. Yes, it was harder, but that didn't necessarily add any enjoyment to the loop so Thane changed it back to the original layout the next year.

Of course everyone's different with what they like and want. Pick your poison, there are plenty of sufferfests out there to choose from.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Vapor trail 125 sounds like the toughest 1 day on paper. 125 miles, 20k of climbing, all at altitude and a significant amount of singletrack. It starts at 10pm and finishers finish the next afeternoon.

mtbr member
    Breck 100 is crazy tough....at least for me. I think about half the guys in my class DNF'ed. I'm not sure if I would even consider doing the Vapor Trail. That ride sounds crazy for a one day ride.
    The LPG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast