Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Category Winner
    Tour de Burg...

You have no idea.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Surprised the Pisgah 111k hasn't been mentioned

Suffering per mile, I would imagine this one ranks near the top. Tis burly.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Suffering per mile, I would imagine this one ranks near the top. Tis burly.
    As the guy who came up with the course, I asked Eric if we should back it off in 2013 (having just finished totally brutalized).

He said, "nope."
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Tour de Burg...

You have no idea.
    When you going to come out and ride the Vapor Trail 125, ya Sally?

(Just kidding, I know your real name is Angela).
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    When you going to come out and ride the Vapor Trail 125, ya Sally?

(Just kidding, I know your real name is Angela).
    Can I get UCI points at the VT125? Wanna upgrade my license to Über-Pro.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Can I get UCI points at the VT125? Wanna upgrade my license to Über-Pro.
    Hmm, sorry no.

You can score points toward being identified as a reckless person, and I believe the Ministry of Silly Walks will give your application for enrollment stronger consideration as a Vapor Trail 125 finisher.

EDIT: Almost forgot! This year you can get one of these in your goodie bag:

Zukes for Dogs - Hip Action, Mini Naturals, Z-Bones, Jerky Naturals, Power Bones, Z-Filets

A sweet custom wool hat.

Free Red Bull at aid stations.
    Last edited by TomP; 08-30-2012 at 10:23 AM.

mutaullyassuredsuffering
    For one day on Dirt, I don't think it gets harder than Vapor Trail 125. Breck 100 is darn close because of terrain, but the simplicity of not riding 8 hours in the dark (and hiking a 13,000 ft peak with your bike on your back in that dark) makes it an easier event to finish
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mutaullyassuredsuffering
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Hmm, sorry no.

You can score points toward being identified as a reckless person, and I believe the Ministry of Silly Walks will give your application for enrollment stronger consideration as a Vapor Trail 125 finisher.

EDIT: Almost forgot! This year you can get one of these in your goodie bag:

Zukes for Dogs - Hip Action, Mini Naturals, Z-Bones, Jerky Naturals, Power Bones, Z-Filets

A sweet custom wool hat.

Free Red Bull at aid stations.
    Bummed I'm gonna miss it again...2 years in a row thanks to this silly work thing...
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Team Velveeta™

take care of business

Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard View Post
    Bummed I'm gonna miss it again...2 years in a row thanks to this silly work thing...
    We're sorry you won't be there Matt. You'll be back. Sometimes you have to take care of what's important--but it'll come back around.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Test of Endurance 100 in Blodgett, Oregon would be a bearcat of a race. I did the 50 and did 8,500 in climbing. You double that and how a tough race....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I nominate the Pisgah 36 (aka The Most Horrible Thing Ever). Starts at midnight on Friday runs till noon on Sunday and is held in February. Lots of cold, lots of darkness, lots of creek crossings. Rarely has any finishers...

mutaullyassuredsuffering
    Remembering some of dicky's old blog posts on the pisgah deathmarches....i dont doubt they are a serious competitor for the hardest out there. Id love to suffer out there someday

Just Ride
    For its 56 miles and 11000 ft of climbing I vote Vision Quest in Southern California, happens each spring in the Cleveland national forest!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post
    I nominate the Pisgah 36 (aka The Most Horrible Thing Ever). Starts at midnight on Friday runs till noon on Sunday and is held in February. Lots of cold, lots of darkness, lots of creek crossings. Rarely has any finishers...
    Sounds miserable but what do I know

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cascade Cream Puff has to be on the list - especially this year, total sufferfest. 18,000 feet of climbing

Fat Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    If the CTR was the same distance as the TDR.........
    Now that would put the CTR in a world of it's own. One in which I would never ever consider doing. approx 500miles of Hike a Bike
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard View Post
    For one day on Dirt, I don't think it gets harder than Vapor Trail 125. Breck 100 is darn close because of terrain, but the simplicity of not riding 8 hours in the dark (and hiking a 13,000 ft peak with your bike on your back in that dark) makes it an easier event to finish
    People used to ask me why I didn't ever to Montezuma's Revenge. (or some reason I can't understand they thought it was right up my alley ) My reply was "because I have no desire to hump my bike over the top of Greys Peak in the middle of the night".

I'm the course designer of the Breck 100 and my philosophy has always been a little hike a bike is fine but keep it to not much more than 45 min or so. I think most people don't mind some walking, but most prefer to suffer while pedaling, not walking. When Thane changed loop 1 of the B100 to go up Miners Creek to the crest of the Ten Mile one year, the vast majority of the racers didn't like it because it added so much hike a bike. Yes, it was harder, but that didn't necessarily add any enjoyment to the loop so Thane changed it back to the original layout the next year.

Of course everyone's different with what they like and want. Pick your poison, there are plenty of sufferfests out there to choose from.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    One day race - Strathpuffer 24hr. Scotland, just north of Inverness, first weekend of January. It's dark for about 19hrs and usually snowing, quite a lot. You have to be a special kind of stupid to try that.

Most technical - Transvesubienne, La Colmaine to Nice, France. Less than 100km but took me nearly 12hrs, including the prolouge. 12,000ft of climbs and 20,000ft of downhill, and I was scared for pretty much all of the DH, never ridden anything like that before.

Iron Bike?

There was one in Finland that only 3 pairs finished from 100 starters, anyone know what that was? Mate did it and I can't remember the name.

mutaullyassuredsuffering
    Interesting reply. We don't often get to hear of such folly as it seems most of us are here in the states. Those sound like fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Dirty Kanza is the hardest thing I've done on a bike for sure. Is it the toughest out there? Probably not. My vote is for Tour Divide. I can't imagine doing doing those miles day after day, self contained.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Don't forget the AZT 300. I don't think I've ever heard it referred to as easy, but if it's not enough there's the AZT700.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Andrewh8877, Offroad Finnmark I think is the race you mean.

Difficult to decide on toughest race as its very subjective ... My day at Dirty Kanza was far harder than my Arrowhead 135 race as I hate the heat.

Yak Attack as a stage race is very tough as at 5400m there isn't much air

Salzkammergut Trophy is also a big day ... 211km and 7050m of climbing.

I think Trans Iowa willl top everything I have done to date but then I forsee events yet to run that will be tougher
    shoestring-racing.blogspot.com

Derailleur? No thanks.

mtbr member
    Hi! does anyone of you consider : Craft 1000 miles Trans Czecho-Slovakia ?

Registration for the race is on the first of January 2013 at 0.00 pm.
    According to 2012 experience all the places are taken within 60 minutes.

So if you plan a great adventure without any support at all, 1700km long, 38.000m elevation, average speed 10km/h Do not hesitate! The registration fee is only 200EUR and I promise it will be one of the hardest races you have ever riden.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hi Cowan

I had tried to find this event on the internet a few weeks back but couldn't remember what it was called so thanks.

Have you ridden it ?? any idea how easy it is to get to the start and back from the finish ???
    shoestring-racing.blogspot.com

Derailleur? No thanks.

mtbr member
    Hi Paul,
    sure, happy to help
    I´ve ridden the 2011. After few days it is all about your head. One can have a great shape, but when head fails...
    You need a strong motive to keep going really fast. Otherwise you became gastro-tour zombie
    I did not finish the 2012 /resp. finished 500miles only/ because lack of motivation when I arrived there.
    You see, there is an option to finish only 500miles. If you decice so during the race.
    The difficulty: it is very demanding. Even new bikes are wrecked in finish. New top forks stop to work after 3 days, holes in carbon frames, tires, broken alu frames..
    I belive only Alaska Iditarod is tougher race because of the extreme temperatures and dangerous surface.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast