Dagenham Dave

TOP FUEL 110 or ANTHEM LE?

Dear MTBR members

My mate is about to buy a new XC rig - to be used only for XC riding/racing and some team XC endurance races.

He has narrowed it to 2 options. Money is not the main concern - he wants the better bike.

2006 Trek Top Fuel 110 (with REBA World Cup 100mm instead of the SIDs) or ANTHEM LE (available here in Australia - RaceFace Next components, full XTR drivetrain and disc brakes, and Crossmax SL wheelset, Fox F100 RLT in front, Answer Manitou S-Type SPV in rear).

I have a Trek Top Fuel 110 so I am biased. The Anthem does seem great value, but again, money is not his main concern. He wants the better bike.

Other bikes are not really an option as not sold by LBS.

Opinions?

Dave V.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Both are rock'n bikes. 'Bout the only major difference is the carbon frame vs. the alum. frame. Rumor is that the Anthem LE will be carbon in 2007. You could filp a coin on this one. I say go to the Giant, cause I was on their NRS for 5 years and never had issues with it in any way. Plus the new suspension set up for the Anthem is supposed to "hook-up" better in all situations. On the other hand, I work at the LBS and sell Trek...they make a good bnag-for-the-buck prodcut.

I say throw darts at the rspected pictures to see which one to get

Happy shopping.

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    Both are rock'n bikes. 'Bout the only major difference is the carbon frame vs. the alum. frame. Rumor is that the Anthem LE will be carbon in 2007. You could filp a coin on this one. I say go to the Giant, cause I was on their NRS for 5 years and never had issues with it in any way. Plus the new suspension set up for the Anthem is supposed to "hook-up" better in all situations. On the other hand, I work at the LBS and sell Trek...they make a good bnag-for-the-buck prodcut.

I say throw darts at the rspected pictures to see which one to get

Happy shopping.

Cheers Jeff. So how much lighter will the CARBON version be?

Are you riding the ANTHEM yet?

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I am not sure as to the weight of the Fuel....maybe around 25lbs.

The Anthem is said to weight less than the former NRS Carbon. That was per my Giant contact at Interbike this year.

I will not be on a Anthem this year. The team is switching to the
    Cannondale RUSH

Dagenham Dave

... and if we just ...

I am not sure as to the weight of the Fuel....maybe around 25lbs.

The Anthem is said to weight less than the former NRS Carbon. That was per my Giant contact at Interbike this year.

I will not be on a Anthem this year. The team is switching to the
    Cannondale RUSH
    So no allegiance to Giant anymore then?

What Rush will you be riding, and what's its weight?

BTW - I think they're a SWEEEEET looking bike!

Dave V.

PS I think the Top Fuel 110 is way better than the Anthem LE!

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

The Fuel rocks da house!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave V.
    Dear MTBR members

My mate is about to buy a new XC rig - to be used only for XC riding/racing and some team XC endurance races.

He has narrowed it to 2 options. Money is not the main concern - he wants the better bike.

Opinions?

Dave V.
    Haven't ridden the Giant, so can't compare, but I've been on Fuels for 4 years now and they positively rock. I ditched the SID in favor of a REBA a few months back and the bike got so much better. 1/2 lb heavier, but with no noodle up front it freaking rails. The rear shock has as much adjustability as the reba - infinite...

Wicked fast for 2 hours or 24...
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    So no allegiance to Giant anymore then?

What Rush will you be riding, and what's its weight?

BTW - I think they're a SWEEEEET looking bike!

Dave V.

PS I think the Top Fuel 110 is way better than the Anthem LE!
    Oh, I have allegiance to Giant. They just don't to me.

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball_dh
    Haven't ridden the Giant, so can't compare, but I've been on Fuels for 4 years now and they positively rock. I ditched the SID in favor of a REBA a few months back and the bike got so much better. 1/2 lb heavier, but with no noodle up front it freaking rails. The rear shock has as much adjustability as the reba - infinite...

Wicked fast for 2 hours or 24...

I've just put REBA World Cup on my 2006 Fuel 110 and am hanging to ride it. This weekend I hope!
    Last edited by Dave V.; 02-27-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Dagenham Dave
    Oh, I have allegiance to Giant. They just don't to me.

LOL!

Maybe you'll be happier on the Rush? It certainly looks like an awesome bike.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    I've just put REBA World Cup on my 2006 Fuel 110 and am hanging to ride it. This weekend I hope!
    Sweet. Assuming the WC setup is the same as the RACE, you have a choice of 85mm, 100mm, and 115mm. Not that I'm recommending this...but mine is setup at 100 and I dropped the stem to account for the 15mm. The frame isn't really made for that setup, but it handles infinitely better than with the SID.

I dunno why...but don't be afraid to experiment. That REBA is one nice, reliable fork.

BTW, this is the rig Eatough used at Whistler last year.
    Dave

2 Epic

Dagenham Dave
    Sweet. Assuming the WC setup is the same as the RACE, you have a choice of 85mm, 100mm, and 115mm. Not that I'm recommending this...but mine is setup at 100 and I dropped the stem to account for the 15mm. The frame isn't really made for that setup, but it handles infinitely better than with the SID.

I dunno why...but don't be afraid to experiment. That REBA is one nice, reliable fork.

BTW, this is the rig Eatough used at Whistler last year.

Hey Dave

The WC only has 100mm or 80mm internal adjust. It comes pre-set at 100mm, and I'm gonna leave it at that. I was wondering if I should drop my stem a little to account for the rise, or just go with a higher handlebar position. Most people reckon try the higher position...?

And yeah I know about E's conquests on his Top Fuel 110 with REBAs...gotta be a good bike!

Dave V.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

trial and error?

Hey Dave

The WC only has 100mm or 80mm internal adjust. It comes pre-set at 100mm, and I'm gonna leave it at that. I was wondering if I should drop my stem a little to account for the rise, or just go with a higher handlebar position. Most people reckon try the higher position...?

And yeah I know about E's conquests on his Top Fuel 110 with REBAs...gotta be a good bike!

Dave V.
    I prefered to drop the stem to account for the rise. At first I didn't change the stem height, but I found the front end to be too light - not enough weight on the wheel. Plus, the last event I did was a fast course so I went for low, euro/aero front end, and handling was much improved. There's a lot that goes into that tho, so I'd say give it a whirl unchanged and make the call after a few rides.

Enjoy that new toy, I know you're salivating at what you have hanging in the garage right now
    Dave

2 Epic

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    probably one thing that will greatly affect your decision is the fact that the anthem le actually comes with an 80mm manitou r7 platinum fork - not the fox f100rlt as the anthem 1 does.

why have you chosen the anthem le when for 600 bucks less you can have the anthem 1 with sram not shi*mano. anyway, each to their own.

that being said - i love the r7 - it's just that most people steer away from manitou.

me personally - loving manitou forks and it was definitely only between the fuel 110 and the anthem le i'd take the giant. it'll be lighter, the frame itself is lighter - large weighs 2448 grams including shock - check weightweenies.starbike.com for fuel frame weights. then on top of that - the platform is better in my opinion, my only issue is water bottle clearance.

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    probably one thing that will greatly affect your decision is the fact that the anthem le actually comes with an 80mm manitou r7 platinum fork - not the fox f100rlt as the anthem 1 does.

why have you chosen the anthem le when for 600 bucks less you can have the anthem 1 with sram not shi*mano. anyway, each to their own.

that being said - i love the r7 - it's just that most people steer away from manitou.

me personally - loving manitou forks and it was definitely only between the fuel 110 and the anthem le i'd take the giant. it'll be lighter, the frame itself is lighter - large weighs 2448 grams including shock - check weightweenies.starbike.com for fuel frame weights. then on top of that - the platform is better in my opinion, my only issue is water bottle clearance.
    Hi Aussie Yeti

A slight adjustment...(additions/changes in red)...

It appears you may be correct: the LE (according to Giant Australia) does come with the Manitou 80 mm forks.

whereas in that article review by Cyclingnews.com, Giant does say the following:

Shortly after the above review was posted on Cyclingnews, we received the following comments from Michael Howes at Giant Australia clarifying a couple of details of the Anthem LE.
    "Regarding the comments about the rear-weighting of the bike during climbing, please bear in mind that in Australia, we spec the whole Anthem range with 100mm forks (in other markets, the bike uses 80mm forks). We do this for several reasons...

Which is correct - who knows?

In terms of weight, I disagree with you...

According to Dave Hughes' review in Cyclingnews.com, the Anthem LE is actually 25 pounds (11.4 kg) for the 18" frame, which is heavier than the Top Fuel 110 - Chris Eatough's 19.5" Top Fuel 110 weighs 23.2 pounds with SID World Cup up front. With REBA World Cup, it is only a pound heavier, still lighter than the smaller frame size Anthem LE, and better spec'd...

And also, IMHO, SHIMANO XTR shits on SRAM. I hate SRAM's trigger shift - it feels really unnatural. Just my opinion though!

Dave V.
    Last edited by Dave V.; 03-01-2006 at 03:38 AM.

Dagenham Dave
    I prefered to drop the stem to account for the rise. At first I didn't change the stem height, but I found the front end to be too light - not enough weight on the wheel. Plus, the last event I did was a fast course so I went for low, euro/aero front end, and handling was much improved. There's a lot that goes into that tho, so I'd say give it a whirl unchanged and make the call after a few rides.

Enjoy that new toy, I know you're salivating at what you have hanging in the garage right now

What do you mean garage, my bike stays in the house!

Check it out in My Gallery...

Members who have read this thread: 0