Thread: Toe pain ?

achiever

Toe pain ?

I did my first longish race this past weekend, the Darkhorse 40, which is not very long to most on this forum but I had a problem that developed toward the end of the race. The 3 or 4 smaller toes on my left foot were in excruciating pain. I really don't know what happened. I did crash once but I don't think I did anything then...

I was wondering if this may be related to cleat placement? I've ridden 25-30 mile rides comfortably and never had a problem. I have a fifty miler (I know, another sprint!) coming up and am thinking about moving the cleat back slightly. Maybe it's a bit far forward? As I write this, I think I'm answering my own question but if anyone has a similar experience, please offer some advice.

Thanks!

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    I did my first longish race this past weekend, the Darkhorse 40, which is not very long to most on this forum but I had a problem that developed toward the end of the race. The 3 or 4 smaller toes on my left foot were in excruciating pain. I really don't know what happened. I did crash once but I don't think I did anything then...

I was wondering if this may be related to cleat placement? I've ridden 25-30 mile rides comfortably and never had a problem. I have a fifty miler (I know, another sprint!) coming up and am thinking about moving the cleat back slightly. Maybe it's a bit far forward? As I write this, I think I'm answering my own question but if anyone has a similar experience, please offer some advice.

Thanks!

Make sure your nails are trimmed short, I get this when they get long and hit the end of the shoe. After a while while whole toe gets numb from bad circulation.

I also get many rocks to hit my toes these days, I don't really know why. I blame it on bad luck and you probably wouldn't post here if this was your situation too.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Was the course really rough? I used to have a pair of shoes that were bigger in the toe box than I needed and when I rode longer races on really rough courses my toes would hurt like you mentioned. My toes were bouncing around inside the shoe and eventually starting to hurt.

At one point I actually taped them together like a splint and the pain didn't happen. I have since bought new shoes with a better fitting toe box and the pain hasn't come back.

Cheers,

It ain't easy being Green
    The pain sure sounds like "hot foot", a common ailment amongst endurance cyclists both road and mtb. The likely culprit is your cleat placement, as you already deduced, and the solution is to move the cleat away from your toes towards the mid-foot area. The line of your pedal spindle should run across your foot at (or just below) the widest part of your foot, typically indicated by a bulge on the inside edge just below your big toe joint.

If your cleat is already there then the problem lies elsewhere; check your seat position to make sure that the leading edge of your knee is immediately above your pedal when you have the pedals in the neutral position; also, do you have any float on your pedals? If your feet are locked into pedals with no float then cleat rotation becomes (more) important.

Of course, the problem could also be that your shoes just don't fit...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For me and everything I have read and learned about cleat placement is that it manifests in your knees.

This sounds like a circulation issue to me. I learned through the years that when I had my shoes too tight, my feet would hurt across the top, which would move into my toes over time.

This could also be a diet issue. Did you eat anything unusual? Some foods could cause a normally unnoticed inflammatory response....swelling your feet, and causing the pain.

I now keep my shoes looser and wear Swiftwick 4 socks when I ride. This solved the problem.

mtbr member
    I'm just going to throw a couple of ideas out.

1. Did your shoes stretch, my domintors stretch a bit during the course of a ride espically if the had gotten wet previously or if its hot and my feet are sweating like crazy. So the shoe becomes lose and your foot can slide around.

2. Were you riding out of the saddle a lot, this can cause you foot to slide forward in the shoe. Jamming your tes into the front of the shoe.

It ain't easy being Green
    http://davebyers.blogspot.com/2009/05/hot-foot.html

"After some research, it is pretty obvious that I am suffering from Metatarsalgia, or what endurance cyclists refer to as "Hot Foot"... Many riders solve hot foot by moving their cleats to the rear by as much as 8 mm... "

achiever
    Thanks for the responses. I think it's cleat placement. My nails are cut and the shoes are tight, I've had them for a year and they're pretty well broken in. Funny thing though, this never happened on the road during longer rides.

In any case, I forgot that my left foot is close to a half size smaller than my right and I set the cleats up in the same position on both shoes. I moved the cleat on my left foot back a few millimeters and we'll see if that helped on the next long ride.

Thanks again for the suggestons.

Members who have read this thread: 0