Thread: Tire Question

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Tire Question

I have races xc and used really lightweight tires. I want to do a 100k race and am wondering if you would prefer a lightweight tire like say an sworks vs a heavier tire for durability in a long race? I know terrain plays a part in this as well but I am wondering about durability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Personally, in long races with some rugged sections, I go with a slightly more durable casing, but the same tread (fast in back, a little more knob in front for me).

If you just choose the Control version of your favorite tires, rather than the S-Works, you'll be golden, IMO.

Especially if you're running tubeless.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Terrain dictates tire choice. I raced the leadville 100 and ran super wimpy tires because there is nothing but roads. Raced the Breckenridge 100 and ran a maxxis ardent in front and an ikon in back. Ikon had me a little nervous but it held up well

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've run only Maxxis Ikon and Schwalbe Rocket Rons. Obviously I like a big tire. Between the two, I like the Ikons for most.

Gumnut Peddler
    I run a rocket ron/racing ralph setup all year around. Some of the tracks are a little more flat firetrail based than others, but I like the way this combo runs on my bike.

Maybe I am a little naive, but I figured that if I am on a good thing, then no point in changing it.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I used crossmark and fast trak (s-works) to much success these past two weekends on trails that were polar opposites. First was a 6 hr race with 1.5k ft of "elevation" that I did 69 mi in 5 hrs 47 min, second was a 100k with 9k feet of climbing that took me 7 hrs 42 min on the rockiest/most treacherous course in our area. In both races the tires held absolutely fine. It's a lot of luck and rider skill plays a big part. Don't pick stupid lines. I've never cut a sidewall (knock on wood) on anything but a nail that went into my tire... and in that case, even DH tire casing won't save you.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I like the Specialized Renegade, it is similar to other light weight tires. For TDR, I did 1600 miles on the tire. It was in fairly bad shape wear wise but zero flats and no tire cuts. Eventually I did cut the tire but at that point I had well over 2k miles and the tread was just about all gone at top.

The Renegade/Fast Track and/or other similar light and fast tires work great for longer distance races provided the course is good in terms of traction. If it was super rocky and/or loose conditions I might run a Fast Trak on the back and Captain up front but for most races my go to setup would be Renegade rear and a Fast Trak up front.
    Mark Farnsworth
    http://febikes.wordpress.com, Raleigh, NC

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    I like the Specialized Renegade, it is similar to other light weight tires. For TDR, I did 1600 miles on the tire. It was in fairly bad shape wear wise but zero flats and no tire cuts. Eventually I did cut the tire but at that point I had well over 2k miles and the tread was just about all gone at top.

The Renegade/Fast Track and/or other similar light and fast tires work great for longer distance races provided the course is good in terms of traction. If it was super rocky and/or loose conditions I might run a Fast Trak on the back and Captain up front but for most races my go to setup would be Renegade rear and a Fast Trak up front.
    Those must be some super grippy trails. To me, a renegade is for XC racing only where you have to take risks to win. I don't want to focus heavily on cornering for 6 hours like I would with a renegade. Don't get me wrong, they're great tires and I put mine on from time to time, but usually not for endurance events.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

NedwannaB

Setup?

Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    I used crossmark and fast trak (s-works).
    Where did you position them on bike?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    Those must be some super grippy trails. To me, a renegade is for XC racing only where you have to take risks to win. I don't want to focus heavily on cornering for 6 hours like I would with a renegade. Don't get me wrong, they're great tires and I put mine on from time to time, but usually not for endurance events.
    I've recently heard the line of reasoning that for an endurance event, you're not going at as fast of a pace as XC, so you can get away with a lighter tire/less traction primarily because you're not taking as many chances.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been running crossmark lust. Heavy but I don't carry spare tubes or tire irons. Now if I'm doing a 100 miles out and back I carry some spares. Some don't use sealant with them but I'm not that brave.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Where did you position them on bike?
    One on the handle bar and the other wrapped around my non-drive side crank arm

Crossmark front, Fast Trak rear. I'm not sure it makes too much of a difference because the treads are fairly similar.

Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I've recently heard the line of reasoning that for an endurance event, you're not going at as fast of a pace as XC, so you can get away with a lighter tire/less traction primarily because you're not taking as many chances.
    That makes sense, but it seems to me the drop in pace from a 2 hr XC race to a 6 hr endurance race is not enough to counter-act the extra physical and mental fatigue that the 6 hour brings... Funny thing is, the 2 races I've won recently were a XC race with beefy tires and an endurance race with beefy (for the course that it was held on) tires. So that leaves me with absolutely zero conclusive evidence...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm fastest when I'm not in the bushes.

Lately, I'm doing the Schwalbe RoRo/RaRa combination, in 2.25". It's a bit heavier and I haven't had it on a race course yet, but it doesn't seem to have hurt my ability to chip away at my Strava times. The biggest reason was just to go back to a bit lower pressure, though - at the end of the day, I wanted a smoother, grippier ride. So if I'm faster too it's a not-unexpected bonus.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Now broadcasting from CO
    I've found that S-works casing tires don't work in the area where I ride, so I ride Control tires all the time (most recently Fast Trak 2.2s) This year I've managed to pick up enough RaRa Snakeskins to last me the season, so I'll be on those. I always prefer slightly heavier tires for endurance racing because no matter how "tame" the race course is, a lot can happen over 100 mi/km etc. I'd hate for a race to be ruined by tire choice. Jeff Schalk felt the same way (if I remember the cyclingdirt interview correctly) and it paid off for him.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use an S-Works Captain 2.0 in the front and Control Fastrack-Low Knob in the back.....never a problem even over rocky courses. Disclaimer: In endurance races I tend to ride lightly to keep both me and the bike in good working order so I avoid rocks and do not blast over or through them unless it is necessary to do so.

Cormac
    maxxis ikon is my favorite tire for racing. such a fast tire and you can get the exo casing if you are concerned of durability.
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No actual data

Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I've run only Maxxis Ikon and Schwalbe Rocket Rons. Obviously I like a big tire. Between the two, I like the Ikons for most.
    I'm getting signals from the pleasure area of the brain that the Ikon rolls much better than the Rons when on the rear of the bike. Obviously, I have no actual data --just the sensation of joy from riding with Ikon on the back. I Strava-ed a few segments as well.

Here's the context: I have done the local 10 mile loop about 16 times in the last 5 weeks. 13 times with a well broken in Rocket Ron 2.25. Yesterday, I did three laps with the Ikon and it just felt so much faster. I had have ridden with the IKons front and rear many, many times but it had been about 8 months since I had ridden them on this particular flowie trail.

Due to the twisty, rocky, rooty nature of the trail, tire pressure is critical. Too much and you will loose grip, too little and you will stress out your sidewalls and get the mushy feeling. I feel the EXO (?) casing just works so much better than the PaceStar in this situation.

I had been running the Rons at 28-30. I started the Icons at 28 but they dropped to 26 during the ride. I attribute this the casing stretching a bit, but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I really like the Ikon Exo for endurance. I'm also a fan of the Fast Trak Control tires. Sometimes I'll run a Fast Trak on the back and an Ikon on the front for a touch of extra speed, as the Fast Trak rolls better. But, if it's loose I just stick to the Ikons... they corner great.