mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Tire Choices for SHEN 100

Pending decently dry weather. What are some good tire choices for the Shenandoah 100 on Sept 1? Who's run what?

mtbr member
    May 2009

4 years running on brand new sets of WTB Wolverine 2.2 Race tires, no flats

I've been using WTB Wolverine 2.2 Race tires, set up tubeless. I ride a 26" full suspension at SM100, and have been either extremely lucky or have made good equipment choices for the past 4 years, probably a bit of both. No flats. Zero.

I buy them a month or so before the race, put them on a spare wheelset with tubes so they'll relax from being folded up, (so that they will air up nicely once I install them for real), and install them for good a week or so out. I usually ride on them once or twice to make sure nothing is out of whack and to get used to them again.

I think they roll fast, have enough volume to handle the Wolf, Braley, and Chestnut downhill rocks, and if it's somewhat dry, I think the tread pattern is good for the soils there.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadefatsax View Post
    Pending decently dry weather. What are some good tire choices for the Shenandoah 100 on Sept 1? Who's run what?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ran Continenetal X Kings, and they worked perfectly fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Over the years I've run Race Kings, Crows, and Racing Ralphs. If you really want to be fast BUT not worry, do the RaRa's 2.25 Snake Skin. There is enough gnar on this course to far offset the advantage of a pure speed tire. Just my .02.
    Kev

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heaviek View Post
    There is enough gnar on this course to far offset the advantage of a pure speed tire. Just my .02.
    Kev
    I totally agree and also recommend using tires that are not just speed or light weight focused. I am running what I always run, 2.2 Racing Ralphs evo snakeskins. Making sure to add in ore sealant later today.

Living the Dream
    Any concerns with running a RARA snakeskin back with a 2.35 nobby nic front? Would the Nobby be too slow? Thanks.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

They call me Shoogs
    DOnt overthink you'll see ppl running everything and don't forget to add sealant

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Ran Maxxis Crossmarks in 08

Ran MAXXIS Aspens in 11

Both were awesome.

R

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I went back and forth between Rocket Ron Snake Skin and Ardent front and Nobby Nic Rear (I know not noramlly a rear tire but I had it laying aorund). In the end with all the wet rain we have had leaving on the Ardent and Nic refreshed sealant last weekend, had put the RoRo back on for a weekend but one wet ride on them reminded of how much more finesse they require when it is wet, finesse I might not have near the end. Just figured like someone else said the little bit of gnar worth the slower rolling resistance if your going aftrer a goal time and not a set position. Good luck all.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I have ran a Nobby Nic Snakeskin front and rear in the past and will do the same this weekend.
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    front - Racing Ralph 2.4, HUGE volume, still fast-rolling
    rear - Conti Race King 2.2, also big volume, durable sidewalls, very fast-rolling

same tires I've been using all year

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Ikon exo, same as last year. Hoping for drier conditions though!
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Now broadcasting from CO
    Same tire I run just about everywhere: Racing Ralph 2.25 Snakeskin. A bit expensive, but there is no other race tire IMO.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, a family medical situation is keeping me from it this year.

I'll be thinkin' about yas out there.

HAVE A BLAST!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Always have just run my standard tire, the Ardent 29x2.4 EXO f/r with no issues. Not a racy tire but they ride well and I'm used to them. Had to go with an Ikon rear this year due to newfound tire clearance issues. Hope they hold up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Ikon exo, same as last year. Hoping for drier conditions though!
    Recently mounted a 2.35 Ikon EXO up front to go with a 2.2 Ikon EXO on the rear. That new, bigger Ikon is the best thing since canned coke.

Living the Dream
    I went with racing ralphs front and rear and had a good race until the last 3 miles. I flatted (through the tread) and it took 25 frigging minutes to change because I could not get the valve stem off. I ended up 9:27. I am back on Ikons next year. I flatted twice with racing ralphs at the W101 and once at the SM 100 and I have not flatted ever on Ikons. All of the RARA flats have been between the knobs on the The racing ralphs were great on descents and gave me pretty good confidence, but they were scary on wet roots on Wolf Ridge.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"