mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Time for new endurance shoes...

As the title says I am needing a new pair of XC race shoes. I only do endurance races, and typically do long rides just for fun. I have been in Shimano shoes of some sort for many years and have been ok with them. I have wide-ish feet and like room for my feet to move around and for swelling that can occur late in solo 24 hour races. I ride SPD cleats if that is of any consideration.

After looking at most of the new shoes out there I have narrowed it down to the Lake MX241 Endurance. I like the design concept and how they are made, but there are none in my area to try on so I will have to buy blind.

I would like any opinions on these specific shoes good and bad. Also any suggestions for other shoes to look at before I decide. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I go between a set of Giro VR90 lace ups and Pearl Izumi X project Pros and they work fine for me. Had Sworks prior to that and like them, just didn't like the price. I'll look at BONT or the newest Sworks shoes the next time around.
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I wear 2E running shoes in most brands/models. If there were a 3e, that would probably be spot on. But to the point/question...

I have a set of lakes 45.5 wide 237s if I remember correctly. Verrrrrrrrrrry comfy but they also look like hell after a season. Alllegedly the 241s have stuff in places to keep them looking good. I'd also prefer the boa dials be more towards the top. I've grazed them a few times and they keep working but it seems like it's just a matter of time before something knocks them off.

I have a pair of Bonts but wouldn't recommend them to anyone who actually gets off their bike or is even small sections of hike-a-bike happen in any of your events. Why? the lugs are bonded to the carbon tub and detach with the slightest breeze.

I'd also second looking at the Pearl Izumi x-project. I haven't worn them for anything more than a few 4-ish hr rides so far but they're pretty comfy and the boa is on top which is small but I like.

Northwave appears to have a wide last on several higher end models, if they're in your neck of the woods check them out.

I've also tried shimano wides and didn't feel like they were anywhere close to a "wide" shoe but if you're comfy in their last, I'd bet the PI shoes would fit like a glove.

good luck!

mtbr member
    I like the X-Project Pros...a lot. I have wide-ish, short feet w/ a high instep and they have been magic. Also the customizable inserts are great for different types of feet. Didn't pay full price for them. Competitive Cyclist seems to always have them on sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Shimano wide shoes I have used in the past have been ok, but not great. After 100 miles or so I start getting ready to take them off (but that is probably going to happen with any shoe).

I tried a pair of the PI X-Project when they very first came out. They seemed to be very nice but were defiantly too narrow. I ended up only riding in them about 30 miles and gave them to a friend. I have not looked at them since b/c of how narrow they felt. Maybe I should re-visit them, thanks for the heads up! I have been looking at Bontrager and appreciate the heads up about the lugs. I also have been looking at the S-Works but they get spendy fast!

I do walk occasionally as I ride and race a single speed. So walking comfort is important. Nothing worse than being in a long race and getting stuck behind someone with Eagle on a long steep climb who parks it in the 50. If I can pass I will but usually the trail is too tight to get by on the bike so time to get off and run past in the bushes.

Thanks again guys, good stuff! Keep it coming...

wanna ride bikes?
    subscribed
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have wide feet with a high arch and a low fore foot. Looks like shovels. Absolutely love my Lake road shoes. Just perfect.

Off road, I've been liking my Giro Privateers 46 HV. Very comfy but heavier than they need to be. I'd go to one of their lighter models for racing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Narrow heel, wide-ish forefoot.

I've had good luck in the past with Shimano, Specialized and Pearl Izumi.

Over the years (decades) I've tried on Sidis a few times and not gotten along with them at all.

Currently riding Bontrager Cambions and love the fit and the weight. The only caveat is not a whole lot of sole lugs, which seems to be par for the course in this type of shoe.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another Lake 237W rider here, very happy with them although they do scuff up too easily. Was on Sidi Mega's for years and they were good but not designed for hike a bike very well. I tried the S-Works wide after they came out a year ago and there is nothing like them for light weight and putting power down but as it turned out they are only +5mm vs the Lake +15mm so my feet protested after 3-4 hours. Went back to the Lake's.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did not realize that Lake's wide shoes offered an extra 15mm, that's sweet! Definitely on the short list, thanks for the heads up!

viva la v-brakes!
    Those Lake 241ís are $$$! I just destroyed a pair of similarly expensive Shimano shoes in a season and a half and am reluctant to spend so much again. Are the MX 228 or 218 similar / any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    I have had great luck with Fizik shoes. They seem to fit my odd feet perfectly. I ran a pair of Specialized before that and for some reason fell in between two sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm going to try out the Fizik Terra X5 suede this season

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The PI X-Project 1.0 only lasted a year for me. The tightening system blew out on both shoes. I was disappointed as I was expecting more durability. I've since moved to Sidi and they are more comfortable and seem to be more durable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    I go between a set of Giro VR90 lace ups.
    I have super narrow feet and feel like this are pretty narrow, fwiw. Particularly in the forefoot.

Work great for me, but I doubt they would for people with wide feet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    I have super narrow feet and feel like this are pretty narrow, fwiw. Particularly in the forefoot.

Work great for me, but I doubt they would for people with wide feet.
    good to know, thanks

HIYAH
    Have been going between giro terra durra and codes for long races and I gotta say that the terra durra, despite being heavier and gravity oriented, are more comfortable at hour 5 or 6.

For breck epic where there is mandatory hike a bike they are even better.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had the Lake mx241's for about two weeks now and am REALLY digging them. Have the wide lasts and the adjustability/fit is phenomenal. The only thing that scares me a little is the durability of the foam/mesh stuff. That's tbd but aside from the placement of the boa dials that's the only weak link I see (so far). Haven't done anything but trainer miles on them so far.

eri
    mtbr member
    Lots of different feet in the world. I tried.. 7-8 pairs of shoes and was only happy in the giro vr 90. I wore them around the office all day to test them.

The laces let me precisely wrap the front of my foot to control it. Not great to walk in but good enough, most important they give me all day comfort when riding.

I bought a second pair around black Friday when I found my size on sale for $160.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was able to try on some Giro HV VR70's today and they were definitely not wide enough. My big toe was cramped as was the little toe back to about mud foot. After all my research I think I am going to roll the dice on some Lake MX 241 Endurance wide. I cant find any local to try on but I really like how they are made. I sure hope they fit! Ill update with what shakes out, thanks for all the help thus far!

I am Walt
    I just went through this process for the same purpose, and settled on Lake MX237ís. Great fit, real leather, and super stiff, but with enough lugs on the bottom if you have to step off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Right on, thanks for the info! I think that is where I'm heading...

no batteries required
    Bont, spendy but heat moldable insoles and highly customizable.

https://www.bontcycling.com/
    "Bicycles have the magic power to go
    to enchanted places cars will never know." - mafo

viva la v-brakes!
    Have you (or anyone) actually ridden Bont shoes? They look like something Cinderella would wear.

I just trashed a pair of Shimano XC90's in less than a season-and-a-half, so I'm wary of wimpy XC racer-boy shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Bont, spendy but heat moldable insoles and highly customizable.

https://www.bontcycling.com/

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    I'm wary of wimpy XC racer-boy shoes.
    ^^This

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Have you (or anyone) actually ridden Bont shoes? They look like something Cinderella would wear.

I just trashed a pair of Shimano XC90's in less than a season-and-a-half, so I'm wary of wimpy XC racer-boy shoes.

I prefer that my shoes fit well (which they do), appearance is a secondary consideration. But to each their own.
    "Bicycles have the magic power to go
    to enchanted places cars will never know." - mafo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Pearl Izumi X-Project 1.0. Lifetime warranty, light, comfortable for wide feet, stiff, BOA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    I prefer that my shoes fit well (which they do), appearance is a secondary consideration. But to each their own.
    I also like my shoes to fit well. But I need a $370 shoe to last a whole lot longer than 9 months of use.

The Bonts donít look very durable. Iíd like to know if thatís true or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a few pairs of SIDI Dragon 4. They will accept spikes in the front which was a requirement for La Ruta this past fall. I like to support my LBS but Backcountry.com has a great return policy for shoes. They sent a few different pairs to me to try on and immediately credited me when I sent them back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Pearl Izumi X-Project 1.0. Lifetime warranty, light, comfortable for wide feet, stiff, BOA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Totally agree. Love mine - got 2 pair cause I was afraid they'd discontinue them.