Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    I've got a pair arriving in the mail tomorrow and will let you know.
    MX237 (not endurance): 400g, right shoe, size 42
    MX241 endurance: 385, right shoe, size 42

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Didn't get a chance to try my Shimano MW5's on the weekend.
    In my normal Diadora XC shoes, my toes were getting a little frosty, but the rain stopped after 20min so I didn't get a chance to change shoes and try the waterproof ones.
    On a test ride, they were very comfortable and only got wet inside after 45min of torrential rain.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    MX237 (not endurance): 400g, right shoe, size 42
    MX241 endurance: 385, right shoe, size 42
    Thank you for posting the weight! It's what I was afraid of though. How they feel fit wise?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The MX241 endurance shapes to the foot much better than the 237 when tightening the dials, has a more natural, roomier toe box and has a much better heel cup. It's night and day more comfortable than the 237 when trying them on back-to-back. I should also note that I have PI x-project PRO, Northwave Ghost XC, Gaerne Carbon Ltd, Mavic Crossmax Ultimate and Scott RC Ultimate shoes here (ordered them all to try out - free returns....). The MX241 is far, far more comfortable than any of the above, with the best toe box for my feet. They easily match or exceed construction quality of the other contenders (as much as I can tell). Ventilation looks better and they seem to be plenty stiff. I'm waiting on the S-Works 6 XC shoes to arrive as my last comparison, but it's going to be pretty hard to beat the MX241 endurance. The S-Works are ridiculously light, but lightness won't help much if my feet are in serious pain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    I go between a set of Giro VR90 lace ups
    cheapest I can find in my size for the VR90 is $300.... are they worth it ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The MX241 endurance shapes to the foot much better than the 237 when tightening the dials, has a more natural, roomier toe box and has a much better heel cup. It's night and day more comfortable than the 237 when trying them on back-to-back.
    fyi, they're built on the same last and fwiw your observations are not consistent with mine. But that's part of the fun with shoes (and probably saddles)... everyone has different needs

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    fyi, they're built on the same last and fwiw your observations are not consistent with mine. But that's part of the fun with shoes (and probably saddles)... everyone has different needs
    Exactly. The best thing I did was order every shoe I was remotely interested in. Others' experiences will only get you so far!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    The MX241 endurance shapes to the foot much better than the 237 when tightening the dials, has a more natural, roomier toe box and has a much better heel cup. It's night and day more comfortable than the 237 when trying them on back-to-back. I should also note that I have PI x-project PRO, Northwave Ghost XC, Gaerne Carbon Ltd, Mavic Crossmax Ultimate and Scott RC Ultimate shoes here (ordered them all to try out - free returns....). The MX241 is far, far more comfortable than any of the above, with the best toe box for my feet. They easily match or exceed construction quality of the other contenders (as much as I can tell). Ventilation looks better and they seem to be plenty stiff. I'm waiting on the S-Works 6 XC shoes to arrive as my last comparison, but it's going to be pretty hard to beat the MX241 endurance. The S-Works are ridiculously light, but lightness won't help much if my feet are in serious pain.
    I ended up ordering the S-works 6 but am still in the sitting on the couch phase. Very light shoe. Very roomy toe box. I have the dials cranked down and no numbness as of yet. Can't wait to see what there like on the bike. Racing ORAMM in 3 weeks so hoping to have the shoe issue resolved by ne t week for sure. The bontrager XXX I'm coming from was ok however I developed an almost hot blister like feeling on the bottom of my big toe after I Ride for 2+ hours and just too narrow of a toe box. If theses a-works don't work then I'm Lake bound

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just a quick update. I have a good amount of miles on my Lakes in all sort of conditions and love them! The ONLY draw back is if you have to walk up hill the top strand of cable really digs into the front of your ankle, but if you don't ride a single speed then you should be GTG...

Oh I did have a Boa dial seize up. I disassembled it and found the cable was a bit knotted up. I had plenty of room to cut the cable back and re-lace it. Works good now, Boa's are easy to repair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A note on the Boas, they are guaranteed for the life of whatever you're using them on. If that cable gets too messed up get in touch and they'll ship a free rebuild kit with cable, knob and ratchet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic View Post
    A note on the Boas, they are guaranteed for the life of whatever you're using them on. If that cable gets too messed up get in touch and they'll ship a free rebuild kit with cable, knob and ratchet.
    I had no idea, never would have thought to look into the warranty of it. Thank you very much for the heads up!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    The ONLY draw back is if you have to walk up hill the top strand of cable really digs into the front of your ankle, but if you don't ride a single speed then you should be GTG...
    This happens to me on my 237's but not my 241's. I just back it off a click or two and it gets better. It is annoying though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Why do you care what your shoes weigh? Do you really think it's going to make a difference?

Why wouldn't it? Carrying extra weight does make a difference and shoes are rotating weight, in a 24 hour race you might lift each foot 100,000 times or so. If you add 100 grams to each shoe you'll have to lift an extra 40,000 pounds over the course of the race. Not saying weight should be top priority but for me at least it's a consideration.

Anyhow, I need some new shoes and the Lakes do look pretty good. My Sidis (dominators) have served me well for 6,000 miles or so but are finally starting to give up the ghost, they are comfy as heck and evidently pretty durable but are heavy as bricks. Anyone have any thoughts on Sidis compared to Lake shoes?
    I brake for stinkbugs

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Why wouldn't it? Carrying extra weight does make a difference and shoes are rotating weight, in a 24 hour race you might lift each foot 100,000 times or so. If you add 100 grams to each shoe you'll have to lift an extra 40,000 pounds over the course of the race. Not saying weight should be top priority but for me at least it's a consideration.

Anyhow, I need some new shoes and the Lakes do look pretty good. My Sidis (dominators) have served me well for 6,000 miles or so but are finally starting to give up the ghost, they are comfy as heck and evidently pretty durable but are heavy as bricks. Anyone have any thoughts on Sidis compared to Lake shoes?
    That's also 40,000 lbs of extra weight on the front of the stroke too

Wanna ride bikes?
    I think this pretty well sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    I think OneSpeed's point is that weight is pretty far down the list of factors to consider for a new shoe. I'd rate them as follows:

1) Fit
    2) Fit
    3) Fit
    4) efficiency / comfort
    5) durability
    6) weight

Those are very different shoes that fit differently and have somewhat different intended application. If it really comes down to a couple shoes that are really down similar, fit well and meet your needs, then you might start considering weight.
    In one of my last big races after 11.5 hours and 93 hard miles I was forced to quit just short of the end because of my feet. At that point I had established my position and it didn't change the outcome of the event for me, but my legs were fine and my ride was over because of my feet.

Being able to pedal in comfort and ride undistracted by unnecessary levels of pain far far far outweighs counting grams.

I'll say it again. The weight of your shoes will NEVER change the outcome of your race. However not being able to finish will almost always change the outcome. Comfort takes priority when endurance is involved.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    In one of my last big races after 11.5 hours and 93 hard miles I was forced to quit just short of the end because of my feet. At that point I had established my position and it didn't change the outcome of the event for me, but my legs were fine and my ride was over because of my feet.
    Well then you should buy some more comfortable shoes

I totally agree that fit and comfort are priority, no doubt about it. But if 2 shoes are equally comfortable and one of them is 1 pound and the other is 2 which one are you going to choose? If weight makes no difference why aren't all racers riding 40 pound bikes that are more durable?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Good point. Those must have been some kind of sore feet!!
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 RSL

Wanna ride bikes?
    If weight makes no difference why aren't all racers riding 40 pound bikes that are more durable?
    I know you understand my point but that sentence has nothing to do with what I said.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

I've ridden Sidis and am now on Lakes. Lakes feel like featherbeds compared to Sidis, but I'm not feeling any power loss for it. Stout carbon soles on both, so stiffness ought to be comparable, but the Lakes just sort of mold to my foot, whereas the Sidis always felt like I was trying wrap stiff uppers around a foot that didn't quite match. MX241 Endurance has me sold right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This happens to me on my 237's but not my 241's. I just back it off a click or two and it gets better. It is annoying though.
    Will do, thank you!

mtbr member
    I know you understand my point but that sentence has nothing to do with what I said.

Not really, maybe I misinterpreted your post. Honestly I never meant to be argumentative but you seemed to say that weight isn't a factor for shoes and I disagree, as with any component I think there's a happy balance between weight, performance and durability.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I've ridden Sidis and am now on Lakes. Lakes feel like featherbeds compared to Sidis, but I'm not feeling any power loss for it. Stout carbon soles on both, so stiffness ought to be comparable, but the Lakes just sort of mold to my foot, whereas the Sidis always felt like I was trying wrap stiff uppers around a foot that didn't quite match. MX241 Endurance has me sold right now.

Thanks, I was about set to go with the Sidis again because they worked out pretty well for me but based on your experience I'm reconsidering.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Wanna ride bikes?
    Not really, maybe I misinterpreted your post. Honestly I never meant to be argumentative but you seemed to say that weight isn't a factor for shoes and I disagree, as with any component I think there's a happy balance between weight, performance and durability.
    I never said the weight of your bike doesn't matter. I certainly never suggested anyone race a 40lb bike. And I never said anything about durability of said bike. This whole thread is about shoes. That's what I'm commenting on. Shoes.

My point is that comfortable shoes that weigh 50g more are well worth the weight penalty and will not change the outcome of your race. Buy a quality product that is comfortable. We are discussing a quality product that costs $350, it's not going to be made of lead.

You and a couple others are making dramatic statements about shoes that weigh 2 lbs and bikes that weigh 40 lbs.

Perhaps reading more carefully before overreacting would solve the problem.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I never said the weight of your bike doesn't matter. I certainly never suggested anyone race a 40lb bike. And I never said anything about durability of said bike. This whole thread is about shoes. That's what I'm commenting on. Shoes.

My point is that comfortable shoes that weigh 50g more are well worth the weight penalty and will not change the outcome of your race. Buy a quality product that is comfortable. We are discussing a quality product that costs $350, it's not going to be made of lead.

You and a couple others are making dramatic statements about shoes that weigh 2 lbs and bikes that weigh 40 lbs.

Perhaps reading more carefully before overreacting would solve the problem.

I was commenting on this post below-

Why do you care what your shoes weigh? Do you really think it's going to make a difference?

The 40 pound bike comment may have been overkill but I was only trying to say that if shoe weight doesn't matter then why would bike weight matter either. Again, I didn't mean to be dramatic or argumentative and apologies if I came off that way.

Also my shoes cost nearly $300 and as mentioned they are comfortable and well made but very heavy, looking around it seems I could easily lose 100 grams per shoe and if I could get that with the same quality & comfort I think it would definitely be beneficial for me. So personally I don't think it's dumb to consider weight along with everything else when looking at shoes.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Update on the s-works 6XC. I got a quick 2 hour workout Ride in today and my first impression is wow. Power transfer felt better. Shoes are very comfortable. The 2 BOA dials are positioned well. No numbness or hot spots.

Most of all, I definitely felt lighter on the pedal. These shoes dropped nearly 3/4 lb for me and I feel it. I'm sure most of its mental but I swear I could feel a difference. I'll report back after ORAMM but for now they are keepers.
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 RSL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12