mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Stupid leadville question from a rookie

Since most of Leadville is dirt roads and pavement. Why doesn't anyone ride a cross bike on it? I would think a trio of decent riders could ride away and get through the technicle sections before the main body could catch them. Maybe if I read the rules there may be something that says you can't. Am I on the right track here?

mtbr member

Looks like the B line would be better on a Mountain bike.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Its been done on a cross bike before. Can't remember who but it was an experienced Ledaville racer. After the race, he said it was the dumbest thing he's ever done. Powerline, parts of Sugar Loaf and St. Kevin's, and Upper Columbine would be pretty difficult on a cross bike. Lots of chunky sections throughout that would cause problems on a cross bike.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Perfect guys. Thank you. I knew there was some rough area's but I was thinking that if you could get of a lead those area's would only slow a person down and that lead could be maintained. I didn't know that anyone had ever tried it. It looks doable. Doesn't matter. I don't even own a cross bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Was the camera man on a motorcycle? If so, I would have been pretty pissed off the way he rode up to and passed riders. Looks real sketchy to me.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr View Post
    Was the camera man on a motorcycle? If so, I would have been pretty pissed off the way he rode up to and passed riders. Looks real sketchy to me.
    what you're seeing there is how a mountain biker descends vs guys who mainly ride road on mountain bikes.

re: cx the main issue is pinch flats they simply don't have enough tyre to handle the rough stuff, then there's brakes (mech) and handling (small bars). they have their limits, they're great for climbing however.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb101 View Post
    what you're seeing there is how a mountain biker descends vs guys who mainly ride road on mountain bikes.

re: cx the main issue is pinch flats they simply don't have enough tyre to handle the rough stuff, then there's brakes (mech) and handling (small bars). they have their limits, they're great for climbing however.
    Thanks. He/She was just flying by so many people, I could not tell!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr View Post
    Thanks. He/She was just flying by so many people, I could not tell!
    The powerline descent is really a crazy thing for middle pack folks. I haven't done Leadville since 2007. Most of the parts leading up to the powerline outbound allow an intermediate offroad bike handler who is a really strong pedaler to be in front of lots of outstanding bike handlers who aren't necessarily above average climbers. The result is total fuggin' chaos. That was true in 2007, I'm sure it's true in spades now that they are letting twice as many riders in.

The deal is, if you are capable of riding the hero line (like, right down the middle of the deep ruts in sharp loose chunder) you can pass 80% of the mid-pack Leadville riders. But the wildcard is that lots of those strong climbers who wound up in front of you are totally over their heads on that descent, even riding the safest line they can see. They are likely to either crash and fall into your path or make a sudden and unexpected turn into your path.

I did Leadville three times. The first year I played the game and took crazy chances to pass people on the powerline descent. Never did it again. It can be frustrating to follow somebody who's freaked out and nearly stopping for every little rut crossing, but ultimately the best you're going to do is pick up 5-10 minutes. The worst you're going to do is stack really bad, break a bone and DNF. If you're mid-pack anyway, the risk is totally not worth it. You're not going to win with that extra 5 minutes, and if you're that marginal to finish in 12 hours you just need to train harder. If you're fast enough to be in big-buckle territory, you probably aren't facing too many novice bike handlers on the powerline with you.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    I'm with TomP on this. I've done it 4 times, all with "Big Buckle" results and probably irritated more than one person when I was descending Powerline "slow". I once descended it on the wheel of Leadville legend "Ricky" (he's ridden every edition and most or all of them are sub 9 hours, many pretty close to 8 hours). I commented at the bottom that I appreciated following a good wheel down that section (and we'd been passed by at least a dozen riders) and his response was "you don't win it on Powerline, but you sure can lose it there" -- absolutely true. That being said, the guy in the video looked totally in control and never looked to endanger anyone he passed.

I ride a cross bike a lot, often on trails that most often see fat tires. I would never consider using a cross bike at Leadville -- IMO it would be a seriously bad choice. Yes, the route has quite a bit of pavement and improved gravel road, but even the fast double track of the pipeline section would be very slow on a cross bike. I think you'ld lose 10 minutes on a cross bike descending off of Columbine on the gravel portion alone. As noted, there's just not enough volume in the tires to deal with the rocks at the speed you can ride it on a mtb. Better choice is to use low profile, fast rolling mtb tires that can take a blow and has some flotation on soft surfaces and roll as fast (or almost as fast) as a cross tire on pavement.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...