mtbr member
    Mar 2004

stomach question

did a 12hr yesterday and was putting together my best race then at hr 8 my stomach went crazy. I started feeling sick and started getting cramps from gas/diarrhea (sorry). I was eating energy bars (about 1/2 a bar every 1hr). I was taking endurolytes and anti fatigue pills every 2hrs (but I take that combo all the time and never had any problems).
    Is going to a "liquid" only diet during the race easier on my stomach? If so what do you guys recommend? what causes this?
    This has never happened to me....so I was bummed because I was getting closer to breaking into the top-3 when I started feeling sick and had to find a bathroom....I ended up calling it a day.
    Last edited by ptfmb71; 06-13-2010 at 01:47 PM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    What are those anti fatigue pills that you are talking about? composition?
    Composition of the energy bars?
    How was your hydration?
    Anything else you were eating/drinking?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Did you eat something out of the ordinary for breakfast maybe? I know it could've hit earlier, but never know. Or could've been something like a stomach bug (I've heard a few people having issues this past week).

Was it a similar nutrition schedule to your previous events? I haven't done one in awhile, but my stomach was starting to go south on my 5th/final lap of a 4 woman team, so I just went out with plain water, but then I sort of ran out of steam

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    the only changes I made were eating "Bonk Breaker" bars more than normal (I ate like 3 of them). I have taken those supplements for a few years now with no problems.
    It may have been dehydration...I had a work off-site in palm springs the thursday and friday before and like an idiot I had a few drinks on Thursday night. I had woken up with cotton mouth the Friday and race day morning.

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    Cotton Mouth = Serious warning sign!

If I remember right, bonk breakers are very tasty, but also on the heavy side of race food. Have you tried gels or shot blocks/chomps/etc.?
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

BBW
    mtbr member
    with the info, my guess is dehydration and high osmolality whas the cause...
    when dehydrated, the absorption rate is decreased and on top of that if you are ingesting too much or too concentrated food it will cause gastric upset. Once all that food abandons the stomach into the intenstine, it will cause an osmotic diarrhea (too many particles dragging water)
    Don't know the composition of thse bars that you're reffering to but stay away from fiber if they have an "weird" carbs like manitol, sorbitol, etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster
    Cotton Mouth = Serious warning sign!

If I remember right, bonk breakers are very tasty, but also on the heavy side of race food. Have you tried gels or shot blocks/chomps/etc.?
    I always have cotton mouth in XC racing

But yeah, those bars do have quite a high amount of fat also, so your gut may have been doing a lot more digesting than normal? Even though it was only half a bar, maybe more calories/fat than you could handle.

They are good, though!

Not sure it'd help, but I was eating bananas with almond butter (ymmv - you may want to have peanut butter with some salt included?) in between a few of my laps.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Could have been that you just had a gut bug? Some bad road food?

When you think of how often people get some sort of intestinal crud on a regular day, it seems possible that you could have just eaten a bad burrito or something.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    the only changes I made were eating "Bonk Breaker" bars more than normal (I ate like 3 of them). I have taken those supplements for a few years now with no problems.
    It may have been dehydration...I had a work off-site in palm springs the thursday and friday before and like an idiot I had a few drinks on Thursday night. I had woken up with cotton mouth the Friday and race day morning.

Back to the energy pills ???? what and how many?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    did a 12hr yesterday and was putting together my best race then at hr 8 my stomach went crazy. I started feeling sick and started getting cramps from gas/diarrhea (sorry). I was eating energy bars (about 1/2 a bar every 1hr). I was taking endurolytes and anti fatigue pills every 2hrs (but I take that combo all the time and never had any problems).
    Is going to a "liquid" only diet during the race easier on my stomach? If so what do you guys recommend? what causes this?
    This has never happened to me....so I was bummed because I was getting closer to breaking into the top-3 when I started feeling sick and had to find a bathroom....I ended up calling it a day.
    Have you used the exact same nutrition protocol in other 12hr, at the same level of intensity, under the same kind of environmental conditions?

Looking at the Bonk Breaker bars, and considering a fairly steady mtb race workload with intermittent hard spikes, I'm not surprised you had some stomach issues when looking at the composition of the bars and the levels of protein/fats/carbs per bar. But if they have worked for you at race pace in the past, who can argue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think the answer is in the bars. I think it was too much Bonk Breaker bars with a slight dehydration....that was the only difference than any other similar race.

What do you guys/gals recommend for a liquid only diet?
    Last edited by ptfmb71; 06-14-2010 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think the answer is in the bars. I think it was too much Bonk Breaker bars with a slight dehydration....that was the only difference than any other similar race.

What do you guys recommend for a liquid only diet?
    It doesn't have actual protein in it (or fats), but I've had really good luck on some of my longer rides using First Endurance products. Actually, they also have bars, but I have yet to try them

I have gone out and not really taken in an ideal amount of calories while riding for 4 hours or so and still feel fine, just really need to focus on recovery nutrition.

But, just using EFS Liquid Shot and and Drink has worked really well for me. Lots of good electrolytes and amino acids. You could supplement with a 1/2 bar every other lap or something in addition.

I suggest checking out their products either way just in case - http://www.firstendurance.com

I really like the taste of the Fruit Punch drink and Vanilla shot. Very clean and smooth IMO.

Other products with protein - Accelerade (I have used this on cold days - not sure how it would be in the heat) or maybe Perpetuem (I have not used this recently, some people love it others have issues with it?).

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I just did my first 24 solo race on EFS Liquid Shot and drink (grape is also excellent) and had excellent energy and decent hydration the entire time. I didn't do any solids (except breakfast the morning of, and burped them all up in the first 3 hours). My only issue was diarrhea in the final 10 hours, necessitating stops mid-lap at the wilderness pit toilet. I'm wondering if I actually needed to add some solids to the mix, even though I had burped up my breakfast (apple-cinnamon instant oatmeal and a bagel). Anyone? I know it's a little gross and personal, but it fits the vein of this discussion...
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo
    I just did my first 24 solo race on EFS Liquid Shot and drink (grape is also excellent) and had excellent energy and decent hydration the entire time. I didn't do any solids (except breakfast the morning of, and burped them all up in the first 3 hours). My only issue was diarrhea in the final 10 hours, necessitating stops mid-lap at the wilderness pit toilet. I'm wondering if I actually needed to add some solids to the mix, even though I had burped up my breakfast (apple-cinnamon instant oatmeal and a bagel). Anyone? I know it's a little gross and personal, but it fits the vein of this discussion...
    12hrs I could see going only liquid but 24hrs seems quite long to go without solids. I'm sure others have good advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    12hrs I could see going only liquid but 24hrs seems quite long to go without solids. I'm sure others have good advice.
    You didn't answer my question "Have you used the exact same nutrition protocol in other 12hrs, at the same level of intensity, under the same kind of environmental conditions?" Your answer might help in figuring out what happened.

As for staying on liquid fuel for 24hrs I don't think it's hard and I've done it several times, longest I've gone is 30+hrs.

Go to this weeks thread, Hammer Nutrition - Perpetuem?? and you can scroll through the entire thread or start at post #19 where I jumped in with some opinion on this subject, read further on into the thread and you might get some answers to your liquid fuel question.

Race nutrition comes up every week in this forum and everyone has an opinion, don't take anyone's advice as gospel, what works best for you will require experimentation and forming trends, at race pace and multi-hour.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Check out the Infint site. That's what I use at the 24 hr races. They ae very helpful if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm wondering if I actually needed to add some solids to the mix, even though I had burped up my breakfast (apple-cinnamon instant oatmeal and a bagel). Anyone? I know it's a little gross and personal, but it fits the vein of this discussion...
    I've never done a 24, so can't remotely comment as to that really, but I've heard a lot of people like to try a can of soup at night?

BBW
    mtbr member
    you don't "need" solid food for 24h (i.e. for a short period of time). What you need to realize is that liquids abandon the stomach faster that solids
    good thing: you won't have food bouncing and energy will go to the working muscles faster bad thing: get things more concentrated that your capacity to absorb them and you will upset your stomach...
    Try not to exceeed 8% concentrations
    For example if you are going to get some carb gels (they usually have around 20-30g of carbs, dilute them with 8oz of water to match that concentration) You can dilute them more to match your energy requirements and how your body reacts to it but try not to go over that and eat at regular intervals to avoid overloading your digestive system with too much at a time

Members who have read this thread: 0