Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stoked: one hour shaved off 7-hour race (training works!)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  markowe 
#1 ·
Just want to encourage anyone who is just starting out with endurance events, or XC in general - it DOES get better!

In 2007 I did the big national XCM marathon in my country, an 80 km (50 mile), 2500 m (8200 ft) job and it was hell on earth, took me 6h56m, I was among the last to return, lunch had gone cold!

2009 I did it 35 minutes faster (wrote it up on my blog - have a read and come and ride it next year!), this year I did it in another 25 minutes faster, 5:54, and felt it was way too easy. I rode very conservatively, zone 2-3, slow but steady, and I now feel I should really be doing it in sub-5:30. I took first place in my cat (local Masters), though unfortunately "thanks" to the former champ wiping out badly early on on an unexpected drop. Also beat a number of guys who ALWAYS thrash me over the shorter distances.

I just wanna say it DOES get better - find yourself a decent training program (Friel is fine) and STICK AT IT (190 hours on the bike since November), especially if you are pushing 40 like me and can't just get on the bike after a few weeks of prep and sail through like some of those "youngsters".

The winning time (Wouter Cleppe, Belgium) was 4:25, and the course record is 4:06, and I know I will never reach those dizzy heights, but set yourself personal goals, be consistent and you can really surprise yourself! Training works!

See less See more
#3 ·
Val Garou said:
Nice to see this kind of encouragement. It's true. Keep riding your bikes, folks--and seriously consider hiring a coach rather than blinging out a new set of wheels.
That's so true, I don't have the budget to spend 1000s on constantly improving my bike - my bike's a beater. I've just got a bit of TIME to invest in some decent, purposeful training. And I don't have a personal coach but the owner of my club is the ex-national XC champion in my country, and one conversation or ride with him and I learn enough to keep me busy for months!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.