Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Spot Tracker

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60

    Spot Tracker

    Anyone have experience using one of these devices. Im thinking about getting one not so much for doing long distance events but for when Im doing long rides in remote places. my wife is wanting it to ease her mind while im out there.
    - what one do you use?
    - do you like it?
    - do you recommend another brand?
    - would you get it again?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,293

    gen2 SPOT

    Quote Originally Posted by OSKIN100 View Post
    Anyone have experience using one of these devices. Im thinking about getting one not so much for doing long distance events but for when Im doing long rides in remote places. my wife is wanting it to ease her mind while im out there...
    I have one of these: SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

    I mainly use it for exactly the same purpose you're talking about. I go by myself most often, mainly because I don't know many people near here who ride my pace. I don't like to wait for people and I don't like spending all day chasing people (which is usually what happens, people as slow as I don't often do the long rides). And I like the peace of solitude when I'm on a long ride.

    I would not push the 911 button unless I was really in big, big trouble. I seek to be prepared such that I would never need to be bailed out. Some people knock SPOT Trackers because there are people who think of them as a safety valve, like having AAA for the outdoors. People who think like that do suck, and often they wind up getting hurt because having Search and Rescue find you isn't as straightforward as having AAA send a wrecker to where you're broken down on the interstate. Better off having what you need and knowing where you are. Use the SPOT to keep your SO's mind at ease.

    I like my SPOT. I do find that the batteries need to be reasonably fresh or sometimes the breadcrumbs will not appear as reliably. When hauling a$$ sometimes nothing appears on your tracking site for a while. Seems to help to have it mounted outside your pack somewhere, e.g. not in your pocket.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,356
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I have one of these: SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

    I mainly use it for exactly the same purpose you're talking about. I go by myself most often, mainly because I don't know many people near here who ride my pace. I don't like to wait for people and I don't like spending all day chasing people (which is usually what happens, people as slow as I don't often do the long rides). And I like the peace of solitude when I'm on a long ride.

    I would not push the 911 button unless I was really in big, big trouble. I seek to be prepared such that I would never need to be bailed out. Some people knock SPOT Trackers because there are people who think of them as a safety valve, like having AAA for the outdoors. People who think like that do suck, and often they wind up getting hurt because having Search and Rescue find you isn't as straightforward as having AAA send a wrecker to where you're broken down on the interstate. Better off having what you need and knowing where you are. Use the SPOT to keep your SO's mind at ease.

    I like my SPOT. I do find that the batteries need to be reasonably fresh or sometimes the breadcrumbs will not appear as reliably. When hauling a$$ sometimes nothing appears on your tracking site for a while. Seems to help to have it mounted outside your pack somewhere, e.g. not in your pocket.
    I have one for the same reason and agree with you entirely. I use the breadcrumb tracking so my wife knows where I am, and even race with it sometimes so she can see how far out I am from an aid station. Occasionally the regular tracking skips a few checkins, but no big deal because only multiple checkins from one location would indicate a potential problem.

    There is plenty of discussion on the gps board, I believe most detractors complain because it is not entirely fool proof and maybe not as good as a plb, but its perfect for what I'm looking for.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    668
    - what one do you use?
    I use the new Spot 2 Messenger

    - do you like it?
    It does what it is suppose to. Works flawlessly, but I ride in wide open spaces. It might not work as well in heavily forested spots.

    - do you recommend another brand?
    Nope, I think Spot is the best out there currently

    - would you get it again?
    I probably would not have gotten it in the first place, but my wife and mom insisted.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheOuvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    49

    Garmin GTU 10

    Along the same lines, has anyone used one of Garmin's GTU 10... https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=67686 ?????

    Any input would be great!

  6. #6
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,293

    Purchase + annual subscription

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOuvs View Post
    Along the same lines, has anyone used one of Garmin's GTU 10... https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=67686 ?????

    Any input would be great!
    I don't know anything about that unit, but have a pretty high opinion of garmin stuff in general.

    You might want to go over to bikepacking.net and ask them about it.

    EDIT: whatever unit you are evaluating, be sure to find out what the total cost is including any subscriptions you might need. The SPOT yearly subscription is $99. Not sure what might be needed with the garmin unit.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  7. #7
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,118
    Quote Originally Posted by OSKIN100 View Post
    Anyone have experience using one of these devices. Im thinking about getting one not so much for doing long distance events but for when Im doing long rides in remote places. my wife is wanting it to ease her mind while im out there.
    - what one do you use?
    - do you like it?
    - do you recommend another brand?
    - would you get it again?

    Thanks
    I have a Spot 2. I do lots of long solo rides and it keeps my wife aware of where I am and gives us an extra sense of security.

    My first Spot 2 died on me during a fairly remote, long race (Vapor Trail 125). That was pretty frustrating. My friends and family were wondering why my Spot didn't move forever and I wouldn't have been able to summon help if needed (there is a sweep on the course, so it probably wouldn't have been a big deal). The unit was replaced under warranty and the new one has been working fine.
    baker

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    587
    Thought I'd bump this just in case anyone has experience with any of the new toys (Spot Connect, Delorme p60... ...etc.)

  9. #9
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    My first Spot 2 died on me during a fairly remote, long race (Vapor Trail 125). That was pretty frustrating. My friends and family were wondering why my Spot didn't move forever and I wouldn't have been able to summon help if needed (there is a sweep on the course, so it probably wouldn't have been a big deal). The unit was replaced under warranty and the new one has been working fine.
    Mine died late in an evening, as I was ascending near the top of a peak in Montana while racing in the Tour Divide. It left some people wondering if I was okay, they're not without occasional issues. I'd echo the sentiments given by TomP, I'd have to be pretty much dead before I'd be pressing the emergency button.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •