mtbr member

Spinners…..help needed

I just started racing XC but have been riding mbikes for 20 years. I have two races under my belt and came to this conclusion. I am terrible and spinning and getting smoked on the flats. I pass many riders climbing and descending but after the hills they take me.
    Any advice on how I can improve my spinning on the flats?

mtbr member
    Road bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I asked/wrote the same thing last year to my new coach. Long story short: a lot of work on the road biking at higher rpm. Tempo work, intervals, one-legged drills, climbing, etc. Coming from many years of big ring climbing but having below average speed, cadence and endurance on the flats, it took several months of varying duration and intensity on the road bike, mtb and singlespeed before I felt comfortable training and racing at a higher cadence. Lots of patience required!

Formerly of Kent
    Why do you think it is your cadence? On typical 29x2.0 tires, with a 26/39 x 11-36, at 80rpm you'd be going over 24mph. At 90rpm, over 27mph.

I'm guessing most people in beginner MTB races aren't doing that. It's an overall strength thing. Do intervals. Long ones, short ones. High cadence, low cadence.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Spin class helped me alot. The spin bike forces you to spin because the weight in the disc is fixed to the cranks so there is no coasting and if you have a choppy pedal stroke this weighted disc will punish you. Intern you learn to spin better
    27.2 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the great advice! This weekend I think I will hit the road on my mbike (don't have a road bike).

AZ
    banned
    Get yourself a computer that measures cadence, they can be had cheap. I find doing cadence drills on the trainer to be really helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Get yourself a computer that measures cadence, they can be had cheap. I find doing cadence drills on the trainer to be really helpful.
    A buddy of mine that races expert suggested a road route and to keep my speed in-between 17-20 mph (don't have a cadence sensor for my Garmin). It was a 2+ hour ride and was challenging. I am going to keep doing it for a few weeks and see if it helps.