mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Speedplay Frogs anyone?

I used to ride Speedplay road pedals and currently have SPDs on all my bikes. I like the SPDs but wish they had more float.

I have used Times but broke them, same for Crank Bros. Mulitple warranties with both so won't use them again.

The Speedplay Frogs look good from a float standpoint, but I am curious how the pedals hold up to:

Mud
    Extended hike a bikes

If they could handle these as well as SPDs I would like to try some out.

Any feedback on these pedals much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've been wondering the same thing lately, I've been wanting to make the switch over from xtr's. Hoping for something with a bit more platform and more float. so hopefully someone has some feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've been using Speedplay frogs for 11+ yrs. I very happy with them, the amount of float, the cleat engagement, the size of the platform and the ease and low cost of rebuilding them are all positives in my book. I've have used XTR's, Crank bros. and Ritchey's. They cleats can be a bit tricky to set up when using stiff soled shoes, espicially Sidi and the platform body seem to become brittle after a season or 2. Theytend to lose chunks of material though they still work with big pieces missing. I've ridden them in mud, snow, dry sand, dirt, racing XC, CX, hundred milers, 24hr races, rocky singletrack and and they have always performed well.
    Last edited by RyderX; 02-07-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Clarity

LightJunction.com
    I bought some a while back, but after installing them, I decided to use them on my around-town commuter. There's a little rubber piece in the cleat that seems like it could get torn up by packed-in mud. I'm curious about the durability as well. I can't say I've ever seen a pair out on the trail.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've had Speedplays on my roadbikes for years but I can't imagine doing an extended hike-a-bike with those cleats. Do the Frogs have different cleats than the road version?

AZ
    banned
    Speedplay has some new mtb pedals coming out that maybe worth having a look at.

Speedplay Syzr Mountain Bike Pedal ? First Look - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ123 View Post
    I've had Speedplays on my roadbikes for years but I can't imagine doing an extended hike-a-bike with those cleats. Do the Frogs have different cleats than the road version?
    The Frogs still have a cleat with moving parts (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) but they are recessed in the shoe.

Hairshirt Rider
    For all day epics and endurance events I think they are great, especially if you are looking for the float.

I have used them on and off over the last 10 years and they were my go to pedal when I did a lot of XC racing. I found them to be durable and held up well to rock strikes, the cleat design clears out pretty good and I'd say they are on par with spds in the same conditions. Seems like the cleat would be the weak link, but I've used them on my single speed and done a fair bit of hike a bike and haven't had any problems. I remember there used to be fit issues with the cleat and some shoes that required trimming of material in the cleat well.

My only issue, and the reason I run spds most of the time, is that I ride a lot of techy stuff these days and don't like the release action in quick get off situations and they seem a bit slickery when I'm unclipped but still trying to turn the wheels. Spds seem to have more bits for the sole to hook up on.

I had the same experience as you with Time and Crank Bros.

Sweep the leg!
    My wife likes her Frogs on her road bike.

I know that sounds like a wiseass comment, but that's what she runs. That way she can walk in touring/mtb shoes instead of goofy road shoes.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have been running the same pair of Frogs for 14 years now. Many hike a bike miles over rocky terrain and only changed the cleats once. The body's show many rock hits but are holding up very well.
    My knees love the float.
    They do not care about mud.
    Remove a screw and give them a squirt of grease once a year and thats it for service
    One of the biggest comments is they do not "click in" If you can get by this minor flaw, they are a very good pedal, and they are light.
    2014 STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP
    1998 KLEIN QUANTUM RACE

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    I used to ride Speedplay road pedals and currently have SPDs on all my bikes. I like the SPDs but wish they had more float.

I have used Times but broke them, same for Crank Bros. Mulitple warranties with both so won't use them again.

The Speedplay Frogs look good from a float standpoint, but I am curious how the pedals hold up to:

Mud
    Extended hike a bikes

If they could handle these as well as SPDs I would like to try some out.

Any feedback on these pedals much appreciated.

I have been riding Speedplay Frog pedals since 2005.
    Easy in / easy out.
    Great for knees, not just people with problems.
    If you are below the 80kg limit and don't use the bike for free ride / jumping + have deep pockets, the titanium version is the lightest pedal I know of 256 grams including cleat on the market for walk-able pedals.
    If you are heavier the stainless version is the second lightest (to my knowledge) and have no riders limit. They are 40 grams heavier at 296 grams including cleats.
    Maintenance: Grease (easily done - 3 minutes each pedal) according to you need. I give them new grease every 4 - 6 months.
    Cleats are much smaller than the road model's cleats.

NedwannaB

Glad I saw this post

I got this style pedal +\- 11 years ago getting back into serious riding and got my first single speed. Couple of the guys that brought me over to the dark side of riding SS (before 29rs and 650b's became "it"....) and since I had knee issues earlier in life I thought I'd try them out. Used well for 5-6 years until I really got the cycling bug and upgraded to another dark side of XTR spd's when the cleat style changed on the Frogs. that rubber piece didn't seem to work for all season riding like before.

Been seeing them at times rummaging thru parts bin lately. Maybe I'll pull the best set out and see what servicing can be done to get them back functioning and use on the SS again for the coming dry season.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Grip it and rip it.
    I have used Times but broke them
    How the hell did you break a set of Times??? I used to get a few seasons out of them when I was starting riding, even now they easily last me a full season.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    FWIW, I used to break/bend the wire retaining springs on CB Eggbeaters way too often and easily.

The new ones are forged, and I have been beating the crap out of them for two seasons now, with no failures.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My biggest beef with the Frogs is the inability to release when your heel rotates inward (unless they changed that with recent versions). In crashes, I'd either end up with one foot still stuck in the pedal, or I'd just break the stop off the composite pedal body that keeps the cleat from rotating inward.

Also, they worked great in mud, but got packed up with dust during the summer and had trouble engaging sometimes. A quick squirt of water got them working well again, but it was kind of annoying. After 10+ years on them, I recently switched to crank bros. We'll see how they do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, I tried some Frogs and returned them after one ride. They felt too strange to me and I kept fiddling to see if my cleat was actually engaged.

Eh, back to SPDs. Just got a new pair of 540s, they are excellent just like the others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tried them for single speed about six years ago and it was downright incompatible. slipped out all of the time and I got a few bad shin scrapes from slip outs.

However, I do know of a bunch of enduro roadies in California who love them on the road bike......as the road cleats suck up debris when walking on the side of the road to pee....but the Frogs work well for them. So no use for singlespeedand better use for road us my experience. No go for SS mountain bike. Definite no go.