Is it play time yet?

Sorta OT:What shifters do you prefer?

I have been riding with SRAM X.9 shifters (X.0 rear dérailleur) for most of 2005. Although shift engagement is good, I find the effort to push the down shift trigger difficult after a few hours. I do not think I have weak hands but I find myself skipping downshifts because of the high effort required (my cables are good). I rode my Shimano equipped bike this past weekend and found myself liking the lighter shift action.

Anyway, I have gone ahead and ordered SRAM X.0 twist shifters. I am thinking these won;t require as much hand effort and will still provide positive shifts. Am I nuts

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    what are shifters?

Is it play time yet?
    Damb, I knew I should have put in a disclaimer.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    SRAM X-9 triggers and rear der.
    It's great stuff!!! Never had shifting issues like with my ShimaNO XT. I am now SRAM for life!

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

You'll like it

Quote Originally Posted by erik99
    Anyway, I have gone ahead and ordered SRAM X.0 twist shifters. I am thinking these won;t require as much hand effort and will still provide positive shifts. Am I nuts
    I used XO grip shift on one bike this year, XTR on a couple others. I've come to prefer the XO - as close to maintenance free as shifting gets, easy to shift. The only downside that I've heard, not experienced, is it gets slippery when wet.
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

mtbr member

Combo...

X9 trigger right pulling on an X0 rear derailleur, X9 twisty left pulling on an XT front der. I like to be able to trim the front der.

Category Winner

X9's

Last gearie I had was equipped with X9's. They were far better than the XT's I used to run. I got out of the gear business before dual-action Shimanos were offered. Maybe your shifter's innards need a little TLC.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    X9 trigger right pulling on an X0 rear derailleur, X9 twisty left pulling on an XT front der. I like to be able to trim the front der.

I've been using this same set up with an X9 trigger and X0 twister for a over a year now and love it. I was getting cramps in my thumb when shifting the front der and now with the twister that issue is gone and I get the bonus of trimming the front der. Also the rear trigger is spot on with it's duties.

Eddie O

Tribe Member
    Grip shift works best for me....plus with the twist shift you can really adjust the ft der. Now if I could only get my X-Gen ft der to work properly????
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Hup, Hup
    I switched to X.9 derailleur with X.9 triggers last season after MANY years of using twisties and absolutely love them. I feel that the performance of the X.9 system is very precise and accurate and needed almost no maintenance. However, I will be giving the Shimano XT dual controls a try next season so we will see how that goes.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    X.0 twisters with X.9 der. I won't go back to shimano.

mtbr member

X.0 / X.0

I run X.0 on my bike, both Shifters and Rear Derailleur... In fact if you dont count the Front Derailleur, I am running a full SRAM drivetrain totally awesome stuff. I will never go back to Shimano on the MTB.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Members who have read this thread: 0