mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A Solution to Heart Rate Drops/Spikes

I am looking for a GPS/HRM device and have seen some negative reviews concerning inaccurate heart rate readings with Garmin devices. I came across the article below in case anyone is interested.

A solution to heart rate dropouts/spikes with Garmin HR Soft Straps | DC Rainmaker

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I've definitely had better luck with the newer garmin soft strap then the older one. The older one would spike often in cold, dry conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ive never had an issue with mine, and been using it for years. I always lick the little contacts prior to putting it on, not sure if that helps it or not.

Grip it and rip it.
    I always lick the little contacts prior to putting it on.
    Mmmm, SALTY!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    I have the older Garmin version. I Nearly always put a pea sized drop of Spectra 360 Electrode Gel on the contact areas and get consistent readings. Once in a while i will do the lick method and it may take a while to get good readings until i start to sweat a bit. I'm sure these versions are more comfortable. But, the old one isn't uncomfortable and so far it works with spit or gel. No need to change yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i sweat a lot. works for me