mtbr member
    Jul 2010

So what SS gearing are YOU running at the Lumberjack 100?

Can a few in the know chime in with some gearing suggestions/experience for this race? I am coming out from the Tetons (Victor, ID) where I have been running and racing 32x20 and 34x20 on a 29er for the last couple years. I know the course is flatter than what I normally ride and race on out here, so what are folks running who have raced before or regularly ride in the area?

Thanks for the help!
    Dan

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ran 34x18 the past 2 years to a 4th and 5th in the SS class. Lots of long, flat sections. A few short, punchy climbs thrown in. Im back to gears this year. Good luck!
    Live slow, Race fast!

mtbr member
    I am running 34/19...a little easier than MTB23, but I am towards the other end of the finishing order, but I did finish. this is my year to start improving on my time.
    "I ain't right!"
    Fatback 190
    Stumpy Marathon
    El Mariachi SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Not on the SS this year but I also ran 34x18 on a 29er the past two years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    34 x 18 it is, just changed the cog over! Thanks for all the help, car is loaded, now time to start the 25 hour drive

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ran a 37/19 last year on a 29er and wished I had a 36/19 on the last lap. It was good till about 70 miles or so then got a little hard to push. Going with a 2x10 this year and I will have all the gear I need. Good luck its a pretty good ss corse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    34x18 is a good gear for LJ100. Just remember, it will be sandy and hot upper 80's on Sat. Goodluck!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gcadelina View Post
    34x18 is a good gear for LJ100. Just remember, it will be sandy and hot upper 80's on Sat. Goodluck!!
    National Weather Service now has the forecasted high only 79 F but sandy it will be. I wish the race was today its only 37 F up there this morning.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I spotted that low temperature, it was making me start to rethink which sleeping bag I was going to camp with!
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    It was HOT and sandy every where. Race update from our SS friends?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Overall, a fun race and experience with a lot of lessons learned. 34 x 18 ended being a great gear, though I wished for a 32 ring at points on the last lap. I went out fast on the pavement to avoid the pile up at the entrance to the single track and got in a good groove with some geared folks. Unfortunately I stuffed it hard when I caught my climbing grip on a rouge tree at 20+ mph somewhere around mile 10-15 ish, before the first aid. I was okay but lost my glasses (and, oh yea, all my momentum). I came through the first lap in 2:36.

Lap 2 was all right, but I struggled with some cramping, funny that it came on all the roads and fast single track sections. I was cramping in my hamstrings during extending periods of spinning, so much so that I was psyched to see a steep grunt to "relax" my legs. Also, I got a bit sucked in by my computer rather than racing, I was more concerned with what my average speed was or the time than just riding and focusing. Lap 2 was slower, as expected, in 2:52.

I turned off my computer at the start of lap 3, turns out looking down at a number doesn't make you go faster... information was not the limiting factor! Lap 3 was the most fun and felt the best. I rode clean and focused on being efficient, I didn't have a computer to look at and just rode as hard and smooth as I could. It was the slowest lap, 3:02, but was less of a loss than the lap 1 to 2 differential. 8:30 and 14th overall, good enough for my first 100 and first race over 50 miles. My longest training ride coming in was 50 miles and I definitely did not have the endurance base needed to go much faster than I did, it was painfully obvious through most of lap 2 how much training it takes to hang at the front.

Course was fun, race was well organized, and I made it my wedding a week later an hour to the north. I don't know if I'll make the drive from Idaho for it next year, but if I was within 12 hours I would for sure!