mtbr member
    Oct 2012

So how do you guys get your training volume in?

I am curious as to what percentage of time you all spend specifically mountain biking vs. road riding vs. commuting vs. running/swimming/lifting etc.

I work 7am to 5pm, and with family, work around the house, etc. riding time on weekdays is limited, but not impossible. On weekends there is more time, but its not unlimited either. I can usually commute 2-4 days per week (45 minutes each way) depending on weather an the need for car transport during the day. On weekends, I can usually get a medium (1-3 hours) and a long (3-5 hours) ride in on the weekends. Outside of weekday commuting I try to sprinkle in some time on my backyard loop just for some trail practice and maybe some high rep weight training to keep things balanced out.

What are some cross training alternatives that will carry over well to endurance XC? Do running/road cycling/something else have a higher training value per hour? At this point, the amount of training time (and energy) I have is fairly set in stone, so I need to find ways to make the most of whats available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It sounds like you have a good routine. I have a similar one to yours minus the commute. During the week I have my wife and son meet me at certain trail heads for a point to point ride. I ride from the house through the mtns, hang out with the family and hike/swim around a bit and then all go home together. It works out well one or two days a week. I ride mtb 100%.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It sounds like you're working it good, for a busy guy.

For tight schedules, in general, I just recommend to go long when you can, and when you can't, go really hard on the shorter rides.

For cross training, I have a half-hour dumbell/situp/pushup/plank routine I do twice a week in season, and do the xc ski thing in the winter, for both physical and psychological reasons.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For me, most of my training is on the road. I am lucky because my wife also rides. normally 4 road rides a week.(1.5-2 hours) followed by 2 long rides on the weekend. Without the road bike it would be really hard for me to train. I have at least a 30 min drive to the closest trail, and it has been very wet here this year.

More than a little slow
    I manage slightly more commuting than you do ( 1 hour each way, 5 days a week, I rarely need a car at work), some mid week rides, and rarely more than one long ride on the weekend. I've been doing body weight / dumbell stuff for almost ten years now too. I've also slowly built up my running over the last two years. I'm only doing about 5 km, three times a week but feel that it has really started to pay off this year.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    I am curious as to what percentage of time you all spend specifically mountain biking vs. road riding vs. commuting vs. running/swimming/lifting etc.

I work 7am to 5pm, and with family, work around the house, etc. riding time on weekdays is limited, but not impossible. On weekends there is more time, but its not unlimited either. I can usually commute 2-4 days per week (45 minutes each way) depending on weather an the need for car transport during the day. On weekends, I can usually get a medium (1-3 hours) and a long (3-5 hours) ride in on the weekends. Outside of weekday commuting I try to sprinkle in some time on my backyard loop just for some trail practice and maybe some high rep weight training to keep things balanced out.

What are some cross training alternatives that will carry over well to endurance XC? Do running/road cycling/something else have a higher training value per hour? At this point, the amount of training time (and energy) I have is fairly set in stone, so I need to find ways to make the most of whats available.
    If I was trying to get the most out of my routine in a limited time, I'd throw on a backpack with some weight in it, and keep increasing it weekly. I'm about 30 pounds overweight and ride with a 20 pound pack. My plan is to drop all that and subsequently fly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rumblefish: My schedule is similar to yours. I'm doing more road miles this year. Sometimes the best way to fit in miles is in my commute. I have a 45 minute commute as well and sometimes I extend my commute in one direction to get more saddle time in.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Rumblefish,
    It sounds like you have it pretty good for a busy family guy. Road bikes help a ton, just make sure you are using your riding time to the best you can. Some times you can sneak in intervals, others hills.

I like you I have the family, and a second kid on the way. I have had to resort to cross training on a treadmill at the gym, and getting up at 4 am to get a good ride in before work.
    Ray's Indoor Bike Park MKE.
    ------------------------------------------
    It's how I roll..

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006
    Same kind of deal -- full-time job, plus two kids under 5 in the house. Basically four lunchtime rides of 75 to 90 mins. each, and a 3 hour ride on a weekend morning. Predictably, I fade at the end of the 50-mile and longer distance races I attempt.

A good strategy I've found this year is to focus on the idea of training races. Even though I've crumbled in the final 1-2 hours of these events, I keep smiling because these races are still miles in the bank. You've got the hall pass from the family to be away on race day, so enjoy the chance to spend the day on your bike.

I held things together okay in the 70-mile Laramie Enduro -- still faded but not as hard as I feared. I have one more event scheduled in Sept., a 50-miler. Hoping that I'll stay strong throughout in that one.

That's IF my butt ever heals from the Laramie race! Taking a week off now before getting things going again.

Happy Trails

So how do you guys get your training volume in?

Night lights! And commuting.
    So how do you guys get your training volume in?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375760904.976839.jpg

I race a few times per year on consistent 6-10 hours a week of training, but I have a run-focused second half of the year leading up to my annual marathon, and a bike-intensive first half that includes a lot of commuting and regular three to five hour trail and road rides.

Commuting is the real key, though, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    In the past I mostly was trail running and doing 50k-100m ultras races, then I'd just toss in the random 24hr solo here and there when some would be like "did you know there a 24hr race going on this weekend" never did anything you could call a training schedule, more like fun runs and group rides. I think my past suscess is my age(28) and positive attitude toward running and riding simply because I don't train and so I never have that mental strain of "I need to do this kind of ride today" style of thinking.

I haven't been running or cycling for about a year because I got lazy and bored so with my first 24hr solo race only 5 weeks out I figure ill just commute to and from work everyday so I can kill to birds with one stone. Commute is a road ride 30 miles each way into a fierce head wind(7mph in the granny gear in the drops on the flats) both directions for about half the ride so its about 3hrs a day of saddle time. The kicker is my 5am-3:30pm work schedule so I wake up at 2:40am and go to bed at 8pm. God I wish I worked 10-15miles away from home on a epic single track