mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Shoulder injury-HT29er or FS SC BlurXCc

Last Thursday I managed to sustain a grade III shoulder separation. I'm already back on my trainer and plan to start riding the road bike next week. I'm in Leadville this year and basically have 4 weeks to finish preparations. Training and fitness aside which bike would you ride having the shoulder injury. I'm generally faster on the Niner emd but with it being a hard tail, I'm debating riding my SC BlurXCc instead for the comfort facter. Any recommendations or similar experiences? Goal was to attempt to finish in under 9 hours. That is pretty much out so just looking to finish in 12 now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I tore my rotator about 2 months before a goal event once. It was a long time ago, but I remember it hurting when the front end wanted to twist on downhill bumps.

So, my advice is the bike with the stiffest (torsionally) front-end; and with the slowest steering. You don't want the bars making sudden movements on you.

mtbr member
    I suffered a grade III about three months ago, and was back riding my mtb in about two weeks. The most painful part was doing any drops with the front end (log jumps, rock ledges, etc.). I ride a full suspension, but I don't think having the rear suspension made much of a difference with how my shoulder felt. You would probably be fine on either bike.

I did buy a EVS shoulder brace, and it really helped hold everything together so you may want to look into that. I raced about 6 weeks later, and it didn't really bother me.
    2010 GF HiFi Deluxe

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW Special K View Post
    I suffered a grade III about three months ago, and was back riding my mtb in about two weeks. The most painful part was doing any drops with the front end (log jumps, rock ledges, etc.). I ride a full suspension, but I don't think having the rear suspension made much of a difference with how my shoulder felt. You would probably be fine on either bike.

I did buy a EVS shoulder brace, and it really helped hold everything together so you may want to look into that. I raced about 6 weeks later, and it didn't really bother me.
    Could you use a heart rate monitor with that thing? Comfortable? Too hot? I just fractured/separated my shoulder and I'm supposed to ride Breck in a couple weeks. I'm curious about the brace and if it might be worth getting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Definitely like the idea of the shoulder brace. Sounds like I might be better off on the Niner so that may be my choice.

mtbr member

Shoulder injury-HT29er or FS SC BlurXCc

Eddy- I don't use a heart monitor but it does strap right across your chest. It's pretty adjustable and probably higher than a HR strap so you might be able to wear both. I wore the brace over my jersey, but didn't really notice the extra warmth.

The only drawback I found was that after a couple of hours on the bike my shoulder muscles became slightly fatigued from the restrictive nature of the brace. No sharp pains though and it really helped me get back on the bike the first few weeks after my crash,
    2010 GF HiFi Deluxe