mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Shenandoah 100 - would it be ridiculous to run XX1?

This will be my first year for Shenandoah 100. Would it be ridiculous to run SRAM XX1 with a 32 chainring? Considering the climbing is mostly fire roads, any reason 32 x 42 wouldn't be more than adequate? In the same vein, would I be cursing myself for only having 32 x 11 and having the top end limited?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by saltz View Post
    This will be my first year for Shenandoah 100. Would it be ridiculous to run SRAM XX1 with a 32 chainring? Considering the climbing is mostly fire roads, any reason 32 x 42 wouldn't be more than adequate? In the same vein, would I be cursing myself for only having 32 x 11 and having the top end limited?
    considering the accumulated total climbing for the event it's: 13 000 feet = 3 962.4 metres. I would want all the gears I can get 1. to ensure I finish, more importantly to enjoy the pain of the event without being limited by gear choice. unless of course ... you have trained with similar gearing over that kind of climbing & distance, then again if you had you might not be asking here. guess I'm saying don't underestimate what the climbing + distance can do to your legs.

mtbr member
    I don't think it would be ridiculous. The course doesn't have that many super fast sections where you would be missing out with 32X11 and 32X42 should be fairly easy to push on most hills (except lynn but most people walk anyway). It's really up to you and your fitness level. I know single speeders doing sub 9hr with 32X18 but no way I could pull that off. You've got plenty of time to train with that setup and test it out on hills so I say give it a go.

Dirty South Underdog
    You'll find the large gaps between gears way before you find either end of the cassette
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Don't think it's unreasonable, but there are some flat roads were you can get on pace lines and cruise to the next climb/fire road. I can think of several sections like this where you'd be happier with another chain ring.
    I ran 39/26 with 11-36, although due to some serious mud (tropical storm) some horrible chain suck definitely limited my gearing options!

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Pat Blair won the SS race last year on 32/18, and was only an hr behind Bishop.

I think you could use a 42

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've done SS twice. XX1 would be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    XX1 would work fine. The climbing is not terribly steep. Reddish knob is is just really long. Honestly unless your in front you will be walking most of the challenging single track climbs such as wolf ridge due to really long conga lines

I thought the Shenandoah 100 was hard but then I signed up for the Pisgah 111K and it made the 100 look like a cake walk.

The Shenandoah 100 is a really fun race, one of my favorites. The camping, beer, food, and checkpoints are all amazing. Just a good time all around. Definitely check out the onsite observatory.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Try about 18300 +/- feet of climbing! This race kicked my butt!