mtbr member
    Apr 2012

sensible training or blast everywhere as usual?

I think I know the answer to this but it's nice to get opinions:

12hr local night race coming up in 6 or so weeks which I want to do well at as it's my home turf.
    I'm in good form having ridden and raced a lot this year and have just had a couple of weeks off the bike to enjoy eating, sleeping and generally being a normal human being with my family. Looking forward to throwing myself back into training for this event and a couple of short xc events around the same time.

Would you agree that curbing my enthusiasm and not just riding everywhere flat out and dividing my sessions into:

4-6hr road and off road, but at a moderate and conservative pace i.e. zone 2
    1-1.5hr interval sessions (much pain and sweating)

would be the best way to arrive at the race on fine form?

I inadvertently did this earlier in the season by completing a two day stage race with a mate at enjoy the mountains pace (av HR 130bpm over 14hrs) then 'accidentally' doing a 6hr race at flat out pace on my own two weeks later. Felt the best ever during the second race and did well and most importantly didn't cramp despite an av HR around 170bpm

I must add that my normal training style which has also been working well is to simply ride everywhere as fast as I can and play a lot in the woods with my buddies.

As you can probably tell I like to make sure I'm having fun on my bike but include pushing myself to my limits in the fun catagory.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You averaged 170bpm for 6 hours? What is your max hr?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've taken it to 192bpm before I wussed out.

The 170bpm av is an estimate. basically I set my HR moniter to bleep if I went over 160bpm. After two hours of racing the only time it stopped bleeping was for 1 minute after a pit stop. My HR was lurking around 170 most of the time during this period and then I switched it off because it was annoying me. I switched it back on a couple of times during the race and it was still merily beleping away so it went off again.

Therefore no proper data to support my claim but I did give it the beans for the whole race and never backed off. My lap times only deteriorated by about 3mins over 45min laps and despite feeling dog tired I still felt strong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, if you can do that for 6 hours, you don't need my help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ok lets forget my spurious claims. Being that I'm not a riding God, I'd welcome your advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do what is fun, unless it's your job, then do what works best. The organized plan is the "best" way to go for results, but having fun is more important to me. So, if you can kind of do both, have fun and get in shape, well...
    You don't want to go anaerobic on every ride. You need recovery time/rides. So, all out every ride is not good.
    And if you really can stay at LT for 6 hours, call Team RadioShack, they need you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cheers Lenny. Next time I race I'll not set the zone alarm and get some proper data. In the meantime, you said it; ride and have fun. I'll start with a nice long bimble tomorrow morning which will probably turn into a personal race within the hour as usual.