mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Which sections of Cohutta and Fools Gold would you preride?

I am looking at racing one/both of these races next year and have a chance to potentially fit in a single day(probably closer to half day) of riding on each in the early spring. The family has agreed to let me ride one on the way down and one on the way back from spring break.

Most of my riding experience is in Michigan, so with that in mind, if you had a half day, probably in the 30-50 mile ride range, what section(s) would you pick to preride.

I am thinking some of the bigger climbs and or terrain that is different than what I normally see in Michigan.

Tentative plans are for the family to stay on in Chattanooga, TN while I ride Cohutta, and Atlanta, GA while I ride Fools Gold. Are there any bike shops in the area that would be good sources of info on either of these races.

Thanks,

Bob

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The climbs are long and dirt/gravel. Absolutely nothing special or worth pre riding. Tape the distances of each climb to your top tube if you want to know how much further as you won't recognize it on race day.

I'd say definitely do the first 17 miles to the fire road and the last 10 miles. This can easily be done as a loop. See my strava file if you want to see how that works out: Bike Ride Profile | Cohutta 100 near Polk, TN, USA | Times and Records | Strava

The first 17 miles are mostly single track and the last 10 are as well. When you're really exhausted hitting those final miles, you don't want to make any mistakes, especially because the trail doesn't exactly allow for any.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You can preride the back part of Cohutta by parking at Mulberry Gap and doing a out and back or loop it.The singletrack is typical for Southeast...lots of roots,some rocks,some flow,some punchy climbs.
    The Gravel climbs are long and steep at times and IMHO would be worth preriding if you haven't done much of that type of thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to these races.

BDT
    mtbr member
    If you are going to Chattanooga, I would use my half day of riding Raccoon Mtn and the other amazing trails around that area. I've done both of the races you are planning to do - both are fun. IMO pre-riding fireroads won't really help that much, I would try to get in some local singletrack. Not as familiar with ATL, I've been to Blanket's Creek and it's a great time.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Try Five Points trail system in Rising Fawn, Ga. Get a map and park and the Nickajack trailhead and ride the connector trail to Five Points. Do all the trails then return. About 30 to 35 miles of nice riding. Also, outside of Dalton, you have Snake Creek and also the dry Creek trail system.