Thread: Seat Pack

mtbr member

Seat Pack

Looking for a good seat pack to carry a 29r tube and some levers or suggestions on methods you have used. Was trying to keep the jersey pockets open for food, jacket, bottle, etc.
    Seen some nice ones but 29r tube wont fit, trying to stay away from anything too bulky. Big Air CO2 strapped to seat tube currently...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use the Specialized Wedgie bag on my bikes. Fits a 29er tube, levers, multitool, couple of CO2 cartridges, car keys in it with a bit of space left. Doesn't take up too much room under the seat.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Twin Six METAL Team
    Here's what I use: Topeak« Cycling Accessories ? Products - Aero Wedge Pack, micro (Strap Mount)

It holds a 29er tube, CO2 Big Air can (with nozzle), Topeak tool, lever, spare PowerLink, patches, tire boots, and small tube of butt butter without an issue!
    Last edited by chrisgardner73; 05-07-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Wrong Link

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    I quit trying to carry a legitimate 29er tube in a seat pack and now pack a 700c x28/32 tube -- takes up about half the space. I also shove a second tube in, a 700c x 23/25 tube (road size), so that if it's a really bad day I don't have to walk home (and those days have happened). So, a multi-tool, tire levers, two tubes, and a patch kit (with a small tube of chain oil in the little plastic box) fits into the bag shown (some sort of Blackburn bag, at least 10 years old). A pump is attached at the water bottle bosses.
    Seat Pack-crank4rohloff2.jpg
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why not just carry a 26" tube? I ride a 29er and thats what I do just sayin...

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by inteq9 View Post
    Why not just carry a 26" tube?
    What's a 26" tube?
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

slow
    Seat Pack-2013-04-04_18-50-34_261.jpg
    Jandd Mountain Wedge
    Contains 29" tube, levers, multi tool, patch kit, Instaflate w/ co2 cartridge, 2 spare co2 cartridges, spare chain quick links, car keys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    29 tube, 2 levers, mutitool all held to bottom of seat with a toe clip strap. Nothing moves and is KISS simple.. Big air strapped to seat post..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jarwes View Post
    29 tube, 2 levers, mutitool all held to bottom of seat with a toe clip strap. Nothing moves and is KISS simple.. Big air strapped to seat post..
    God help you if race day is a mud-fest and you get a flat. A lightweight bag would be worth it's weight in gold then. Personally, I just go with the jersey pockets and lightweight 26er tubes.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've been going through this same search, and I have been VERY frustrated with durability.

SO FAR SO GOOD Current: Timbuk2 Medium Seat Pack XT, 55 cu in. Fits: 29er tube, Alien tool, levers, CO2 inflator + 2 extra CO2 canisters, survival blanket. Does NOT rub my legs at all. I picked this one because of the substantial piece that attaches the straps to the bag. There is no velcro to catch shorts or the bag itself.

FAIL Last one: Topeak Medium Aero Wedge Pack, 60 - 80 cu in. Fits: all of the above plus a mini 1st aid kit with room to spare.

The stitching attaching the straps to the bag has ripped out so that is just hangs on the seatpost. The long velcro strap connecting the bag to the seatpost was causing pilling on the bag where it rubs, and it has snagged my shorts.

FAIL One before that: Specialized Mini Wedgie. Does NOT fit 29er tube. Does fit everything else that the Timbuk2 fits. The Wedgie should, but it's more than 2x larger than the Mini.

The zipper failed when dirt got caught in it. I dumped my multi-tool, levers, etc. on the trail. I still like this one for my road bike, but the zipper is not dirt friendly. I have read about zipper failures by other owners, too.

So... my ideal bag size is just under 60 cu in. No velcro. Sturdy stitching.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    God help you if race day is a mud-fest and you get a flat. A lightweight bag would be worth it's weight in gold then. Personally, I just go with the jersey pockets and lightweight 26er tubes.
    I know what you mean.. But thankfully, were I live that hasn't been an issue yet... Yet... LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    SO FAR SO GOOD Current: Timbuk2 Medium Seat Pack XT, 55 cu in. Fits: 29er tube, Alien tool, levers, CO2 inflator + 2 extra CO2 canisters, survival blanket. Does NOT rub my legs at all. I picked this one because of the substantial piece that attaches the straps to the bag. There is no velcro to catch shorts or the bag itself.
    While I don't use a bag at the moment, I have looked at this bag in particular.. I like Timbuk 2 products a lot.. How do you like the rubber band that attaches to the seat post? I know its not really a rubber band but its the best way I can describe it.. Do you think that its going to be an issue with durability?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Do you guys make a pack for each bike or do you just change tubes in one kit to make it work for each bike? My three bikes take different tubes.
    Another question-- do you buy a little bike pump for each bike or do you get extra pump mounts and use same pump for all bikes. Second question is a little dumb but I wonder how others do it.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Actually they're legitimate questions. I tried the "one movable kit and one pump" for my three bike rotation, but I was caught out more than once having forgotten something. So...one bag and one pump for each bike. I refuse to wear a pack, so it needs to either get in the seat bag or go in my jersey pockets (save the pockets for food and clothes -- they're softer to land on when I crash). It costs more to set up, but it's sooo much easier and now I don't flat 10 miles from the trail head without supplies. And despite my making fun of 26" tubes earlier (they are harder to mount in a 29er tire than a 700c road or cross tube), you can use a 26" tube in a bigger hoop. I gave a guy a cross tube to put in a 26" tire once, and it sort of worked but was far from ideal.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Do you guys make a pack for each bike or do you just change tubes in one kit to make it work for each bike? My three bikes take different tubes.
    Another question-- do you buy a little bike pump for each bike or do you get extra pump mounts and use same pump for all bikes. Second question is a little dumb but I wonder how others do it.
    I tried moving the seat pack between bikes, but found it a pain. Now I have a pack for each bike with a multi-tool, levers, Instaflate, spare cartridges, patch kit, etc on each. Makes life a lot easier. I used to have a pump for each bike and they were the same, so interchangeable on the mount, but both have since broken and I have found that Instaflates with cheap Daisy co2 cartridges work well for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jarwes View Post
    How do you like the rubber band that attaches to the seat post? I know its not really a rubber band but its the best way I can describe it.. Do you think that its going to be an issue with durability?
    So far so good. I have maybe 3 rides and 50 miles with it. It has not loosened up at all including one minor crash. As far as durability, it's similar to the cords you find on the Camelbaks and some other backpacks to hold a jacket on the outside.

Not dumb at all. When I was commuting during the week, I kept my tubes and tools in the backpack that I carried my clothes in. I went on a weekend ride - and left the backpack at home. Nothing like being stuck 15 miles from home with only a frame pump. I flagged another rider down and used his tube. I've fortunately been able to pay it forward several times since.

I don't commute anymore, and I finally bought two seat bags with duplicate sets of equipment (mini-tool, tire levers, tube) for each. The set up costs $60-ish or $70-ish. Most of the cost is the tool and the seat bag, both of which should last for many years. The $ per use is low.

mtbr member

Seat Pack

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Here's what I use: Topeak« Cycling Accessories ? Products - Aero Wedge Pack, micro (Strap Mount)

It holds a 29er tube, CO2 Big Air can (with nozzle), Topeak tool, lever, spare PowerLink, patches, tire boots, and small tube of butt butter without an issue!
    I use this bag, as well. When I swap it to my CX bike I can fit 3 tubes, levers, multi-tool. Very nice bag.