mtbr member

Same plan as last year?

Last year was my first year racing with my main goal being the Shenandoah 100 so I followed the Chris Eatough training plan to prepare. It seemed to work pretty well for me getting me a time of 10hr 41mins with tons of rain and mud. This year I'm planning to do it again and looking to come in under 10hrs. Right now I've been riding up to 16.5hrs a week but without any structure. Next week will be 12 weeks to SM100 which is the first week of the Eatough training plan which calls for only 10hrs of riding. So the question is which will be more likely to get me under the best time more structured training but less hours or the ride lots plan? If I do the same training as last year will I really see enough gains to knock off 41mins?

Feral Roadie
    You can only get so far with lot's of unstructured riding. And you can only get so far with structured intensity, unless you've already got a good base from lot's of unstructured saddle time.

I think for most of us, getting the time to put in enough base to make the most of intensity is the hard part. Sounds like you've got that covered already. You will see great improvement with a structured training plan w/intensity IF YOU'VE GOT THE BASE FITNESS TO RECOVER BETWEEN HARD EFFORTS.

To me it sounds like you're in an ideal spot, a year of solid training with good efforts, 12 weeks out which is about as long as you can maintain intense training w/o a recovery period and time to train.