Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saddle sores in the butt-hole from Ergon saddle?

16K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  JMac47 
#1 ·
Anybody here experienced saddle-sores on the butt-hole from Ergon saddles? I just finished my first 25 hour solo mtb race this weekend, and experienced pain where I've never experienced it before. The Ergon saddle has been amazingly comfortable for the most part. However, I'm wondering if the saddle drops down two much for the sitt-bones, leaving the potential for things to rub in the center?

I'm new to ultra-distance, so perhaps this is just something to get used to. Didn't even thing of putting chamois cream there. Should I consider changing saddles, or is thing just something that can happen on a 20+ hour race?

#5 ·
Hmm... good point. Never had one so I don't know. I had no such issue riding my road bike for over 20 hours straight a month ago, but perhaps the rough mtb course did it. Seems like a friction problem though.

Why did I read this while eating lunch
Sorry dude. I know it's not a plesant topic, but if you start racing such distances, it's a serious issue. Don't know too many people personally do races like this....

#10 · (Edited)
Anybody here experienced saddle-sores on the butt-hole from Ergon saddles? I just finished my first 25 hour solo mtb race this weekend, and experienced pain where I've never experienced it before. The Ergon saddle has been amazingly comfortable for the most part. However, I'm wondering if the saddle drops down two much for the sitt-bones, leaving the potential for things to rub in the center? ...
Do you remember every bit of that 25 hours? No roofies? No alien abduction? You don't have the saddle mounted vertically nose up do you?

Sorry. I know, absolutely no useful information.

All I can possible offer as a suggestion: perhaps the saddle top is too sloping for you. Could be ass-hatchet syndrome; the saddle actually spreads the buttcrack. My Specialized saddles have a nice flat that your sit bones are actually on.

#13 ·
All I can possible offer as a suggestion: perhaps the saddle top is too sloping for you. Could be ass-hatchet syndrome; the saddle actually spreads the buttcrack. My Specialized saddles have a nice flat that your sit bones are actually on. Those Ergon ones look like they aren't really flat on top?
No, the Ergon saddles aren't flat at all. They are super comfortable initially, even for 4 hour rides. But, 25 hour rides tend to expose new weakness. The fact that it takes a 20+ hour ride to notice the issue is why I'm reaching out to the interweb experts. It's not easy to do multiple cycles of "try different saddle, ride 20+ hours, and repeat until you figure out the problem." Never heard of ass-hatchet syndrome, but that sounds about right. Will probably try a flatter saddle next time. Too bad all of Prologo's high-end saddles only come in the super-skinny 135mm variety. Seems like a lot of Italian saddle companies are stuck in the last century.... BTW, I did try some Specialized Toupes. The 155mm was the perfect width, but it didn't taper enough in the front and my inner thighs were killing me after an hour.

#12 ·
True enough! Things are pretty much fine today, so I'm sure it was friction and not a hemroid. I've had no such problem with my road saddle on a 21 hour ride. My Prologo road saddle is flat on top, while the Ergon has that ridge. Of course, I was taking hundreds of impact to the rear on the MTB, esp as I got more tired and just took the hits rather than standing up. Sounds like nobody else has had this exact issue...

The wife noticed this thread this morning and was giving me a bad time. Real mature dear...

#17 ·
I used a pile of chamois cream. I reapplied three times. I just didn't put it right in the center since normally just the sit bones are and inner thighs are where it's needed. I've had a Retul fit, and I also average around 8,000 miles of riding a year without a problem normally. 10 hour or so rides have never been an issue, but this 25 hour was. Am curious to know of others who use the Ergon saddles on 20+ continuous hour rides?

#19 ·
Hearing the issue you described above is a first for us since this saddle made it to market, and it never came up in the 2 year testing process......and in testing we had folks XC racing on it, race the Tour Divide the last 2 years, multiple Colorado Trail Race efforts, multiple solo 24 Hr efforts in Europe, and countless marathons and stage races.

As others have mentioned, saddles are a different subject for each rider. So while the saddle is good for you for 4 hours, it may not be for 20 hours. I wish I could explain that, but I can't.

As an endurance racer myself, the body changes when in the saddle that long; swelling, inflammations, etc. I typically ride the SM3-S for all racing; marathons, 100-milers, etc. When I used the SM3 for my CTR attempt a few years back, in training the saddle began to feel narrow after 10+ hour training days. I ended up jumping up to the SM3-M and it made a huge difference in comfort and pain over the days I was on trail. To this day, I now ride the SM3-M. In the Ergon saddle measurement tool I measure up on the high end of the S and low end of the M. When riders or retailers come to me saying they are in between sizes, I always suggest they aim towards the larger size.

As far as sizing, note that our saddles are measured off the the sit bone spots in the saddle shell, not the overall width of the saddle shell. For example, if your sitbones are spaced at 155mm that would put you on our SM3-Large, which is for sitbones spaced 130mm-150+mm

The sitbone/rear area of the SM3 saddle is "relatively" flat. You should not feel any ridges while riding the saddle. I have had some riders mention this to me as I have traveled to events and shops across the USA. A simple fore/aft adjust cured it. In general, our saddles when installed are further forward on the saddle rails that what most are used to with other brands.

Shoot over any questions. Will pop back onto MTBR as time allows.

Jeff K
Ergon USA

#23 ·
So I am glad I stumbled on this thread.

I rode all year long with no issues, then all of a sudden I started getting the boils only on my left side where the backside of my thigh rolls up into the buttocks. That line gets boils all the way into the taint area.

The only thing I know I did wrong is to stay in my bibs too long after riding. Now I only put them on right before the race/ride and then take them off right after.

I have skipped the creams even though I have some since it is not a chaffing issue, but a pimple/boil issue.

Any other suggestions to try and eliminate the boils once they form and get on the road to healing/recovery?

#25 ·
As you point out always get out of the shorts right after the ride and don't ride them again without a wash. I know that's difficult on multi-day rides, but I try to never ride a pair of shorts twice if there is any distance involved. I even apply a topical antibiotic every night on long multi-day or week-long rides. If you can't wash try a heavily laden alcohol wet wipe. Ergon and the saddle manufacturers need to come up with a better disclaimer on use- WARNING use may subject user to uncomfortable circumstances including, but not limited to, chaffing, rubbing skin raw, taint discomfort, and all manner of alien abduction consequences real or imagined.

#27 ·
For me it's keeping sweaty damp liner shorts on too long, especially when really sweaty "down there. During long 4-6 hour rides I actually change my liner shorts half-way through. If I do this I have no problems at all. If I sit around with a "wet diaper" on for too long, discomfort is sure to follow. A few buddies of mine, instead of changing liner short, bring a ziplock filled with talc and dump in down front and back.

I use the Ergon SME3 saddle. I really like it.

#28 ·
FWIW, my experiences with the SM3 have not been as good as those of other people I know. As Jeff said, saddle choice is very personal, and everyone's body does different things over different periods of time. For me, the SM3 has been a good saddle for up to about 4 hours, but beyond that, I have issues (although not as extreme as the OP's), mainly with chafing. Beyond that, I need something that has a bit more give.

Ergon has their SMC3 saddle scheduled for release in Feb of 2015, which is supposed to be an SM3 with more padding. I'm planning on giving that one a try when it is released.

#30 ·
Tom,
I have been using Butt cream for 2-3 years and always have a rough feeling rash in my butt. I keep using the cream. I have never heard, nor thought about being addicted to it.
I rode today without it with no problems; but it was a 2+ hour road ride.
Thanks for the information.
Wayne

#31 ·
Not sure I have anything of use to add here but I really hope you and your 'in the butthole' feel better.

Friction is one thing that causes discomfort over time but that can usually be solved with some sort of lube/butter etc.. This sounds more like what you had.

Saddle sores are exactly that - very painful pimply looking sores - much like a cold sore 'in the butthole'. I have gotten them twice and both times I narrowed down the cause to dirty chamois + endurance rides. Saddle sores need to run the course as any additional friction or messing with them will prolong their presence. I just stayed off the bike for a few days and kept the area clean and dry.

#32 ·
I really wanted to like the SM3-L I had about 1 yr ago, but I kept getting chafing between my butt cheeks and thighs. I think the saddle shape doesn't quite match up to my anatomy. Maybe I should try the M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.