Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Saddle sores in the butt-hole from Ergon saddle?

Anybody here experienced saddle-sores on the butt-hole from Ergon saddles? I just finished my first 25 hour solo mtb race this weekend, and experienced pain where I've never experienced it before. The Ergon saddle has been amazingly comfortable for the most part. However, I'm wondering if the saddle drops down two much for the sitt-bones, leaving the potential for things to rub in the center?

I'm new to ultra-distance, so perhaps this is just something to get used to. Didn't even thing of putting chamois cream there. Should I consider changing saddles, or is thing just something that can happen on a 20+ hour race?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Why did I read this while eating lunch

Dirty South Underdog
    Are you sure it's not a hemorrhoid?
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

AZ
    banned
    Correct saddle width? AFAIK the Ergon is available in several widths.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Are you sure it's not a hemorrhoid?
    Hmm... good point. Never had one so I don't know. I had no such issue riding my road bike for over 20 hours straight a month ago, but perhaps the rough mtb course did it. Seems like a friction problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Why did I read this while eating lunch
    Sorry dude. I know it's not a plesant topic, but if you start racing such distances, it's a serious issue. Don't know too many people personally do races like this....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Correct saddle width? AFAIK the Ergon is available in several widths.
    I have the widest width. The Ergon saddle has a unique molded shape with ridges in the middle. It makes it feel very comfortable for sane rides (less than 6 hours say), but perhaps not the best for true ultra-endurance?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow, 24 hours, must be nice. I'm ready to get off after 3-1/2

mtbr member
    never had issues with mine after countless hours and a few 24 hr races. i wish you and your b-hole a speedy recovery

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Everyones nether regions are different so I think it's just a matter of finding a saddle that works for you. A saddle that = happy taint for you might = very angry butt hole for another.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict View Post
    Anybody here experienced saddle-sores on the butt-hole from Ergon saddles? I just finished my first 25 hour solo mtb race this weekend, and experienced pain where I've never experienced it before. The Ergon saddle has been amazingly comfortable for the most part. However, I'm wondering if the saddle drops down two much for the sitt-bones, leaving the potential for things to rub in the center? ...
    Do you remember every bit of that 25 hours? No roofies? No alien abduction? You don't have the saddle mounted vertically nose up do you?

Sorry. I know, absolutely no useful information.

All I can possible offer as a suggestion: perhaps the saddle top is too sloping for you. Could be ass-hatchet syndrome; the saddle actually spreads the buttcrack. My Specialized saddles have a nice flat that your sit bones are actually on.
    Last edited by TomP; 11-06-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I think it would be odd not to have a sore butt after sitting for 25 hours rubbing your balloon knot on top of a little sliver of leather....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    True enough! Things are pretty much fine today, so I'm sure it was friction and not a hemroid. I've had no such problem with my road saddle on a 21 hour ride. My Prologo road saddle is flat on top, while the Ergon has that ridge. Of course, I was taking hundreds of impact to the rear on the MTB, esp as I got more tired and just took the hits rather than standing up. Sounds like nobody else has had this exact issue...

The wife noticed this thread this morning and was giving me a bad time. Real mature dear...

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    I think it would be odd not to have a sore butt after sitting for 25 hours rubbing your balloon knot on top of a little sliver of leather....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    All I can possible offer as a suggestion: perhaps the saddle top is too sloping for you. Could be ass-hatchet syndrome; the saddle actually spreads the buttcrack. My Specialized saddles have a nice flat that your sit bones are actually on. Those Ergon ones look like they aren't really flat on top?
    No, the Ergon saddles aren't flat at all. They are super comfortable initially, even for 4 hour rides. But, 25 hour rides tend to expose new weakness. The fact that it takes a 20+ hour ride to notice the issue is why I'm reaching out to the interweb experts. It's not easy to do multiple cycles of "try different saddle, ride 20+ hours, and repeat until you figure out the problem." Never heard of ass-hatchet syndrome, but that sounds about right. Will probably try a flatter saddle next time. Too bad all of Prologo's high-end saddles only come in the super-skinny 135mm variety. Seems like a lot of Italian saddle companies are stuck in the last century.... BTW, I did try some Specialized Toupes. The 155mm was the perfect width, but it didn't taper enough in the front and my inner thighs were killing me after an hour.

Team Velveeta™
    No, the Ergon saddles aren't flat at all. They are super comfortable initially, even for 4 hour rides. But, 25 hour rides tend to expose new weakness. The fact that it takes a 20+ hour ride to notice the issue is why I'm reaching out to the interweb experts. It's not easy to do multiple cycles of "try different saddle, ride 20+ hours, and repeat until you figure out the problem." Never heard of ass-hatchet syndrome, but that sounds about right. Will probably try a flatter saddle next time. Too bad all of Prologo's high-end saddles only come in the super-skinny 135mm variety. Seems like a lot of Italian saddle companies are stuck in the last century.... BTW, I did try some Specialized Toupes. The 155mm was the perfect width, but it didn't taper enough in the front and my inner thighs were killing me after an hour.
    It really is a personal thing.

I have been riding Specialized BG saddles exclusively since I started doing the long stuff. I've done I think 10 24 solos on them. I've gotten tired and my butt has gotten chafed, but never any pee pee numbness or sore sit bones. I have powerful ass calluses though...

I am a 143. I worked at a shop where we put the specialized ass-ometer to work and saw kind of a bell curve thing. At least among men, I saw probably 15% 130, 70% 143, and 15% 155. Maybe slightly more on the 155...

Also, it didn't really have much to do with build. Lots of the thin dudes with thinner bones actually had the wider sit bones and fit on the 155. I am your basic square-butted fire plug, and I'm on a 143.

So did you actually take a measurement, when you say 155 was the perfect width? Because if it was chafing your inner thighs, I'd guess it was too wide. Of course, like everyone says, it's personal. Even if you are sitting on the Body Geometry saddle that's perfect for your physiology it still may not work for you.

I'm a big fan of Ergon stuff.
    Last edited by TomP; 11-06-2013 at 07:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So did you actually take a measurement, when you say 155 was the perfect width?
    Yes, I've been measured in a Specialized shop more than once and I'm fully at the 155 mm mark. I tried over ten saddles over a period of months and consistently, the wider the saddle the better, so I think the 155 mm is about right. The Ergon is not quite that wide, and I do think I would like it a bit wider. Despite how the Ergon saddle looks, it is very comfortable right away. Normally I'm best with a flat top saddle (no center channel cut-outs), but the Ergon is an exception. However, my guess is that there is almost no market for people who regularly ride 20+ hours at once. I've heard nothing but praise from people who ride the Ergon saddle, but I wonder how many are using it on true ultra-distance rides.

Some things can be fixed with chamois cream, but I think there are certain spots (women have a MUCH bigger problem with this), that no amount of chamois cream is going to fix---you simple can't have any friction there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You are saying you didn't use Chamois Cream? That's insane and more than likely your problem.

With that being said, invest in a proper fit and you will know if your saddle is correct for you. I've done more than a few ultra-endurance races and this has never been a problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoOutside View Post
    You are saying you didn't use Chamois Cream? That's insane and more than likely your problem.

With that being said, invest in a proper fit and you will know if your saddle is correct for you. I've done more than a few ultra-endurance races and this has never been a problem.
    I used a pile of chamois cream. I reapplied three times. I just didn't put it right in the center since normally just the sit bones are and inner thighs are where it's needed. I've had a Retul fit, and I also average around 8,000 miles of riding a year without a problem normally. 10 hour or so rides have never been an issue, but this 25 hour was. Am curious to know of others who use the Ergon saddles on 20+ continuous hour rides?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoOutside View Post

Disagree about the Chamois Cream. There's actually a thing with butt creams that can be kind of like people who get addicted to lip balm. At one time I pretty much applied the ass lube before any ride I expected to last more than an hour. Then I was talking to somebody who told me about that addiction. Since I was seeing a girl who was a BAD lip balm addict, it made sense. I got off the crack, and was uncomfortable a few times then OK.

Now. I do use Chamois Buttr on occasion. At the 24HITOP where I solo'd in February, at midnight I got the pain. I lubed up and finished the ride. It was a wonderful relief. Really nice to have it, and probably a lot more effective since I don't use it very often.

In August I did an ITT of the Vapor Trail 125. I was out there almost 24 hours. Same bike, same saddle as 24HITOP. I had a little stash of chamois buttr with me. I never needed it, though I might have enjoyed a little relief if I had wanted to stop for that. I did not. I wanted to be done and get a burger and beer.

When I use chamois buttr I take pains not to get it up into the badhole. I find that to be, uh, well, not my thing I guess. If you have discomfort up the poop portal I really doubt it was because it wasn't lubed up.

Unless that alien abduction thing was to blame. In that case it might have helped.

Ergon Bike
    Hearing the issue you described above is a first for us since this saddle made it to market, and it never came up in the 2 year testing process......and in testing we had folks XC racing on it, race the Tour Divide the last 2 years, multiple Colorado Trail Race efforts, multiple solo 24 Hr efforts in Europe, and countless marathons and stage races.

As others have mentioned, saddles are a different subject for each rider. So while the saddle is good for you for 4 hours, it may not be for 20 hours. I wish I could explain that, but I can't.

As an endurance racer myself, the body changes when in the saddle that long; swelling, inflammations, etc. I typically ride the SM3-S for all racing; marathons, 100-milers, etc. When I used the SM3 for my CTR attempt a few years back, in training the saddle began to feel narrow after 10+ hour training days. I ended up jumping up to the SM3-M and it made a huge difference in comfort and pain over the days I was on trail. To this day, I now ride the SM3-M. In the Ergon saddle measurement tool I measure up on the high end of the S and low end of the M. When riders or retailers come to me saying they are in between sizes, I always suggest they aim towards the larger size.

As far as sizing, note that our saddles are measured off the the sit bone spots in the saddle shell, not the overall width of the saddle shell. For example, if your sitbones are spaced at 155mm that would put you on our SM3-Large, which is for sitbones spaced 130mm-150+mm

The sitbone/rear area of the SM3 saddle is "relatively" flat. You should not feel any ridges while riding the saddle. I have had some riders mention this to me as I have traveled to events and shops across the USA. A simple fore/aft adjust cured it. In general, our saddles when installed are further forward on the saddle rails that what most are used to with other brands.

Shoot over any questions. Will pop back onto MTBR as time allows.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    True enough! Things are pretty much fine today, so I'm sure it was friction and not a hemroid. I've had no such problem with my road saddle on a 21 hour ride. My Prologo road saddle is flat on top, while the Ergon has that ridge. Of course, I was taking hundreds of impact to the rear on the MTB, esp as I got more tired and just took the hits rather than standing up. Sounds like nobody else has had this exact issue...

The wife noticed this thread this morning and was giving me a bad time. Real mature dear...
    You just answered your own question, the logic defies why people use different saddles on different bikes. If the Prologo worked, why buy an Ergon saddle? Also makes it harder to set up the bikes to be relatively close to each other fitwise.

mtbr member
    At one time I pretty much applied the ass lube before any ride I expected to last more than an hour.
    Tell more Tom.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Tell more Tom.
    You stop hassling me Pete! I'll report you for INTERNET BULLYING!

I mean it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So I am glad I stumbled on this thread.

I rode all year long with no issues, then all of a sudden I started getting the boils only on my left side where the backside of my thigh rolls up into the buttocks. That line gets boils all the way into the taint area.

The only thing I know I did wrong is to stay in my bibs too long after riding. Now I only put them on right before the race/ride and then take them off right after.

I have skipped the creams even though I have some since it is not a chaffing issue, but a pimple/boil issue.

Any other suggestions to try and eliminate the boils once they form and get on the road to healing/recovery?

I like mtn biking, too

Saddle sores in the butt-hole from Ergon saddle?

Applying 100% pure tea tree oil before and after rides has worked surprisingly well for me. It seems to kill the bacteria that cause pimples/boils. That and riding for less hours.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    As you point out always get out of the shorts right after the ride and don't ride them again without a wash. I know that's difficult on multi-day rides, but I try to never ride a pair of shorts twice if there is any distance involved. I even apply a topical antibiotic every night on long multi-day or week-long rides. If you can't wash try a heavily laden alcohol wet wipe. Ergon and the saddle manufacturers need to come up with a better disclaimer on use- WARNING use may subject user to uncomfortable circumstances including, but not limited to, chaffing, rubbing skin raw, taint discomfort, and all manner of alien abduction consequences real or imagined.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast