Thread: Saddle Sore

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Saddle Sore

I hate bringing this up but I want to make sure I am not doing something wrong. Not to get too graphic but on the middle to outer part of my ass cheek I am having some kind of chafing going on. I will admit that I do not wipe the cream that far out on my ass cheek so this could be my issue.

Chamois cream.... check
    padded shorts... check
    Saddle... Selle SLR

Not sure if the saddle not being wide enough is the issue. My next step should be to go to the LBS and get fitted. Any ideas?

AZ
    banned
    Knowing your correct saddle width would be an excellent start , eliminates a lot of guess work .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Knowing your correct saddle width would be an excellent start , eliminates a lot of guess work .
    Yeah I second guess why I was going to waste your time till i went out and got fitted. Sorry to waste your time.

AZ
    banned
    Its not a waste of time , an exchange of information . FWIW , I have never been fitted , did it the hard way and suffered endlessly because of it .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Its not a waste of time , an exchange of information . FWIW , I have never been fitted , did it the hard way and suffered endlessly because of it .
    There is a specialized dealer in town so I believe they have a way for me to get fitted. I have also heard good things about their saddles so I may just go with the appropriate one from them.

AZ
    banned
    Specialized does have a very good fit system , I believe that Competitive Cyclist also has a saddle trial program . Good luck .

mtbr member
    If this has never been a problem before and the saddle has worked in the past for endurance rides/long rides, you may just have a funky bacteria thing going on (not sure your history with the saddle) I do not use any kind of chamois cream for my endurance efforts, I have been fortunate to have saddles that work really well for me (terry mens or WTB Vigo's), however shorts make the biggest difference for me.

If I feel a saddle sore coming on, I will put some medicated anti-bacteria cream of some sort on it for a couple of days and they go away.

Good luck finding what works.... What a pain in the taint!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    If this has never been a problem before and the saddle has worked in the past for endurance rides/long rides, you may just have a funky bacteria thing going on (not sure your history with the saddle) I do not use any kind of chamois cream for my endurance efforts, I have been fortunate to have saddles that work really well for me (terry mens or WTB Vigo's), however shorts make the biggest difference for me.

If I feel a saddle sore coming on, I will put some medicated anti-bacteria cream of some sort on it for a couple of days and they go away.

Good luck finding what works.... What a pain in the taint!
    I have only raced 24 hour duo races before and yes this was an issue. But since I only did these races 2-3 times a year I thought nothing of it. Well now I am doing 12 hour races and I can not even sit in the saddle after 5 hours. So this is my fault for delaying the process.

likes to ride bikes
    Some people like the SLR. To me the pain and potential back troubles are not worth the weight savings, not for XC and especially not for marathons.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I got fitted last night and went with the Specialized Phenom 143 mm. Commuted in to work today and felt completely different for me. I will put in my first big ride this weekend to get a good guess to see if this is the cause of my issues. Also my a$$ is still recovering but getting better. Thanks for all your help!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    mtnbkr33: I second the shorts point made above. From my research, moisture plays a big role in this. I sweat a lot. This is unavoidable in Austin, TX at this time of year. For rides over 5+ hours, I change to a dry pair of shorts and went from Chamois Butter to Dzs Nuts. It isn't completely gone, but has made a big difference. I was riding Pearl Izumi Pro shorts and for my 5+ hour rides, went with Sugoi RS Flex shorts. They are really nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0