Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riser bar (big rise) instead of flat bar for 24hr. Good idea?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bbense 
#1 ·
I've currently got a flat 600mm Scott pilot bar on my 26" Scott Scale which is great and gives a lovely climbing position. However I'm doing a 24hr in May and worrying about neck/shoulder pain in the second half of the race.
I'm thinking that if I put a riser bar with a riser stem on then it'd give me a more comfortable 'sit up and beg' position.
I'm not going for glory as I prefer xc racing, but just want to do a 24hr for the experience. Therefore all out speed is not that important, however finishing is!
Any suggestions as to the amount of rise to add? I'll add a bit of width too (to approx 680mm) as that'll take some of the steering forces away.

#4 ·
I would not tweak your position w/o a lot of time in the saddle before the event. There's no free lunch when it comes to bike position. Every change has a consequence.

I think your basic idea is solid, that you should probably have a slightly different position for 24hr vs XC , but if you have to spend as much time tweaking the 24hr position has you've spent on the XC position. If you don't want to invest that time, I'd just stick with your XC position unless it's obviously painful on longer training rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.