I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Restless sleep after hard ride?

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask this.

After a hard ride, especially if I was at a high heart rate over a long period of time, say an hour or 2 on a climb, I will have difficult sleep that night. My heart rate will stay a bit elevated and dreams will be similar to the kind you have when you are sick...kinda repetetive and odd.

No sweats or fevers, etc. like on the Fevered Out thread.

This has been my way for years and it happens less as I age, but some of that is less hard days in the saddle, I suppose. I figure it is my body still running at a high metabolisim trying to get things all repaired and restored.

This is more on an annoyance than a concern, but I was wondering if anyone shares the issue and has found good solutions?
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I dont have the high heart rate or dreams but do have a hard time sleeping after a really long hard ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Restless Legs Syndrome

No elevated heart rate problems, but my legs and body in general are often restless after a hard workout, be it from mountain biking, skiing or running. Sometimes Vitamin I helps.

Personally, if my heart rate stayed elevated for more than a half hour after a work out, I'd ask my doctor about it.

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy

After a hard ride, especially if I was at a high heart rate over a long period of time, say an hour or 2 on a climb, I will have difficult sleep that night. My heart rate will stay a bit elevated and dreams will be similar to the kind you have when you are sick...kinda repetetive and odd.

This has been my way for years and it happens less as I age, but some of that is less hard days in the saddle, I suppose. I figure it is my body still running at a high metabolisim trying to get things all repaired and restored.

This is more on an annoyance than a concern, but I was wondering if anyone shares the issue and has found good solutions?
    yup, same thing happens to me. feel wired the night after a hard race or massive training effort...

nathan bay
    Apr 2007
    I've noticed better sleep if I give my body a couple of hours to digest the 15lbs of food I eat after a long ride. That may be really obvious but it took me a while to dial it in.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetty
    No elevated heart rate problems, but my legs and body in general are often restless after a hard workout, be it from mountain biking, skiing or running. Sometimes Vitamin I helps.

Personally, if my heart rate stayed elevated for more than a half hour after a work out, I'd ask my doctor about it.

Well, elevated is relative. I am not saying 120bpm or anything. The beat is not so much faster as harder. Perhaps that better descibes it.

It does not happen on any ride that does not include a serious, extended effort. Just a long ride is not enough.

True about the 15lbs of food. SImply amazing how one can eat after a long ride and not feel totally bloated.

Stokin' the fire.
    Blog Ramblings

Grizzly
    I have this happen to me. I have always figured it was because I had spent most of the day with an elevated heart rate. Adrenalin, nerves and mass consumption of caffeine may have something to do with it as well.

Generally the next night I sleep like a rock.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    I have this happen to me. I have always figured it was because I had spent most of the day with an elevated heart rate. Adrenalin, nerves and mass consumption of caffeine may have something to do with it as well.

Generally the next night I sleep like a rock.

Yeah, sounds right.

Like your blog BTW. Yours and others like it inspire me to ride more and ride farther.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've experienced this as well. It happens less as fitness increases, but races like 12s and 24s will usually do it. I usually sleep, but I don't usually feel very rested afterward. That takes a night or three. A melatonin, a six pack or both usually helps.

Eddie O
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

Grizzly
    Yeah, sounds right.

Like your blog BTW. Yours and others like it inspire me to ride more and ride farther.
    Thanks!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Me too. I have been wanting to ask this same question.

I really suffer following 12-hour races but never on hard training rides.

Also, the insomnia is a bit different then the restlessness you get when you are overtrained and get crappy sleep.

For me, its like a super elevated heart rate throughout the night mixed with crazy dreams. Kinda like when you are feverish or have done a bit too much crank and car bombs with your white trash neighbors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have the same thing. Have had for years. Don't have any good solution; except suck it up and drive on!

--
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

restless lege syndrome

RLS has been linked to deficiencies in Iron, Vit E, Calicium and Magnesium. A lot of recovery drinks and supplements contain these nutrients. I would avoid B vitamins prior to sleep as their function is to regulate metabolism.
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

Tucson, AZ
    After a hard ride, especially if I was at a high heart rate over a long period of time, say an hour or 2 on a climb, I will have difficult sleep that night. My heart rate will stay a bit elevated and dreams will be similar to the kind you have when you are sick...
    I have the dream problem after a long ride, but generally after 8+ hours on the bike, I sleep like a baby that night. It helps if the race/ride is on Saturday and I know I can sleep in on Sunday.

Side note: I have been taking wicked fast recovery tablets and have noticed an extreme decrease in the amount of sore legs and I def recovery faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Cherries

PS. Cherries have a high amount of melontonin in them. Melontonin can help you sleep without waking and feeling drowze all day. 1 mg tablets work also, but cherries taste better
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

Smile and think light!
    REM Caps from hammer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This hit me in November. I did a 12 hour Adventure Race and figured I would sleep like a baby after the awards dinner (which I was a happy looker oner not recepient!). So I go and crash at 8:30pm with nowhere to be until I check out at 9 or 9:30am. So 3:00am rolls around I go to the rr and I am wide awake for the rest of the day!

I was like are you kidding me. I wanted to sleep forever to recover. I was so wide awake that if I didn't already pack my bike stuff away I would have gone for a ride.

Has not happened again, but I haven't done any 12 hour races either. Should be interesting in April with TI V4 to see how I react after 30+ hours awake!

mtbr member
    It sometimes happens to me after long rides lasting over 5 hours or more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    nine and half hours of saddle time on Saturday. Slept like a baby that night, but I slept like absolute crap Sunday night. Not necessarily my legs, but I just slept very very light.