mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Recovery from a 50 mile/6 hour race?

Did a 6 hour solo race this past Saturday. Ride time of 5:56, which was the longest and hardest effort I've done on a bike. Did a couple of 5 hour rides last year, including a 75 mile race, but that one had a lot of road/fsr, where this was all single track. Ended up with a race distance of right at 48 miles. I've read online about people "taking a week" to recover from a 100 mile race. What do you do for a 50 miler?

I went on a recovery ride today where we did a very light spin around the greenway for ~15 miles.

Should I take a few days off this week? Should I just ride/train as normal? My quads are sore, but everything else feels ok

-Tom

mtbr member
    May 2006
    many factors involved here, age, base mileage, recovery rate, etc. everyone is different.

In peak form I factor in 2 days plus 1 day per hour I raced, "recovery" means Z1, lower Z2 work until I feel good again.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    31, first year racing, 2nd year bike riding, so I'm nowhere near "peak form" or anything near that.

So you're saying take a couple of days off and then ride like normal for the rest of the week, but just ~ Zone 1/2. Sounds like a good plan so far

-Tom

SSOD
    Hey Tom did you do the race at Heritage Park? If so congrats on 6 laps and your time. I was only able to get in 5 in ss cat but had a great time. I went for a recovery ride yesterday on my road bike in low Z2 avg hr. Planning on taking today off the bike and doing alot of strectching, and then getting back into my training plan on Tuesday-Friday, then taking Saturday off and going easy next Sunday. That should get me back by next Monday. I'm 29, ride week is from Monday- Sunday, and in my 3rd year of racing and in week 10 of my program FWIW. Good luck man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yup, was the Heritage race. 5 laps in SS is hard man. That was a tough course, and I dunno how I would have gotten through some of those section without full suspension and gears. Nice job!

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do something similar to where I'll take today completely off, then do a couple of hour mtb night ride tomorrow at ~Z2, take Wed off, do a decent training ride Thursday at ~Z3, Friday off, and then do a big, fairly easy group ride on Saturday ~Z2-4. Then back to full training next week.

-Tom

Bike Snob
    To quote my Dad, "it will feel better when it stops hurting so quit your crying"

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    At least 3 days totally off is standard after a big race, then spin short and easy for the rest of the week.

Here is an article I wrote last year on recovery rates for endurance races. Lots of variables. Some you can control and some you can't.

Congrats on a great race!