Grip it and rip it.

New question here. Recommend me a triple chain-set for endurance racing.

Wanting to go back to a triple front after spending this season racing on a 2x10 and never being fully happy with it. I know a lot of people might think I'm mad/crazy, but I've made the decision. Just never really liked the double very much! I thought it would grow on me as i used it more but it never really did.
    So, I'd like some suggestions for a lightweight race triple please! Preferably 22/32/42, but I could flex a bit on that. Is it just a question of Shimano XTR versus Sram XO? Or is there better options for the price?

Thanks.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have Shimano SLX on mine, and it has been bulletproof for years now. I just replaced the chain rings after years of use. I thought about the e-13 cranks for weight purposes, but couldnt bring myself to second guess Shimanos reliability. especially during hundred mile endurance races.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Shimano XTR, easy to install, or should something go awry in a long race, easy to remove with just a 5mm. The SRAM's needing a larger hex and a much higher torque you won't be able to reach with a multi-tool.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i found an old XT crankset with the octalink BB and it feels way better than any of my XTR ones

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

New style better?

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Shimano XTR, easy to install, or should something go awry in a long race, easy to remove with just a 5mm. The SRAM's needing a larger hex and a much higher torque you won't be able to reach with a multi-tool.
    I have the 970 XTR and you have to have special tools. It sucks. I would go straight XT or SLX because they are so easy to take off and put on...
    Last edited by Jaybo; 12-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    If you can afford XTR buy it. Done.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I have the 970 XTR and you have to have special tools. It sucks. I would go straight XT or SLX because they are so easy to take off and put on...
    The new 980's are back to the same as the rest of the Shimano range. I also have some 970's and dislike their installation/removal method. I probably wouldn't have bought them had I realised. Given the OP's question of XTR or X.0, I'd go XTR. But there's nothing wrong with saving some cash with the XT's.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What didn't you like about the 2x10?

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    What didn't you like about the 2x10?
    There just seems to be a fair few situations where I can't find the gear that I'd like, or when I end up forced into a lower cadence than what I'm comfortable with. The one 24 hour race I did this season, I could have well used the granny for the one really long climb in it. I feel I got worn out quicker from not having a low enough gear.
    Also there's times where I feel I don't have a high enough gear for downhills, where I spin out my highest gear. I see 2x10 has some positives but I don't think it's for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Triple XT ... I didnt know they made other cranksets, I have heard of the mythical XTR, performance of the XT has been so reliable I have kept their.

Seriously though what is the rest of your drivetrain the crankset is going with? Why not match to that.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Grip it and rip it.
    My current drivetrain is all SRAM but I don't mind if my chainset doesn't match.