Grip it and rip it.

Wink Race Across the Alps

Considering entering Race Across the Alps this year for summer 2013. Anyone here ever done it? What things should I know/consider before entering? I have two friends that have offered to be my support crew and I haven't even entered it yet.

From what I know it will be at least 24 hours on the bike, with a ridiculous amount of climbing, but I think it might be no harder than a 24 hour mtb race because its all on road so your body won't be getting beaten up?

Well if anyone knows anything about it even if you haven't done it, I'd like to hear from you too!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Haha, no harder than a 24hr mtb race. Funny.

Unless you're a crazy talented climber, you're not going finish 45000 of climbing in a day.

Grip it and rip it.
    I'm not trying g to underestimate it at all, but the way I look at it, at least its just pedaling so your upper body won't be getting beaten up at all like in a mtb 24.
    Hopefully someone can provide some helpful comments to say .
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    I'm not trying g to underestimate it at all, but the way I look at it, at least its just pedaling so your upper body won't be getting beaten up at all like in a mtb 24.
    Hopefully someone can provide some helpful comments to say .
    I was trying to be helpful.

I had a chance to ride some of the tougher climbs in the French Alps last summer, the climbs are not like anything I've experienced in CO. Longer and in most cases much steeper. Much steeper. Not sure where you live, but imagine trying to ride the Tour of the California Alps ride 4 times in a day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It doesn't show the course route but the area map has paseo del stelvio centered so hopefully you get to ride this one. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7ElPlxiQwl...00/stelvio.jpg I think this is about the top third of the climb up to the pass. If this is a road ride, have you thought about the MTB stage race instead - the Transalp runs from Germany to Italy but takes more time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I finished RATA 2 years in a row - 2011 (30hrs) and 2011 (28hrs). Even finishing RAAM 2times coming in first place for 4-person mixed (check it out under FB AllWheels4Fibro and become a fan!) is not comparable.
    RATA is so much harder - truly ultralongendurance. Bet you will suffer but go for it and register! Happy to support.