mathlete
    Nov 2007

quandary - 29HT or 4" FS xc for endurance racing???

For endruance racing, cat 2 distance xc races, offroad tri/xterra events what "platform" would you purchase a 29er hardtail or 4" FS xc rig?
    Last edited by cycleologist; 04-30-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: more detail in title

mtbr member
    No doubt about it. As long as you've got decent handling skills go with the 29'er HT. Lighter, climbs better, and you won't have any rear suspension woes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Had two (mountain) bikes... 29er SS (Cannondale) and a Yeti ASR. Just sold Yeti to buy a geared 29er Hardtail for 24hr racing. I did a couple of 8 hour races and 100km races on the 29er SS and was convinced that that same thing with gears would be the go for me in 24hr racing. Main questions to answer would be whether your back / core muscles are strong enough - I think the hardtail doesn't allow you to 'relax' in the same way as a dual suspension bike does. The 29inch wheels help (I wouldn't be looking at a 26inch hardtail for solo endurance racing for instance) but its still a hardtail.

For distance races... no question... 29er hardtail is the ideal platform. Great pedalling efficiency and you can get those big hoops wound up and fly along any jeep trails...

mutaullyassuredsuffering

I have both. There are some times that the HT still kills me even with it's 29" wheels and fat tires. I also still think that light 26" hoops get me up the monster 3000' climbs faster. It's terrain and saddle time dependent for me. After 12 hours, I definitely like a rear shock.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

eschewing obfuscation
    Main questions to answer would be whether your back / core muscles are strong enough - I think the hardtail doesn't allow you to 'relax' in the same way as a dual suspension bike does. The 29inch wheels help (I wouldn't be looking at a 26inch hardtail for solo endurance racing for instance) but its still a hardtail. -quote from pizzaz (see above)

this is consistent with my experience too. my 29er hardtail is way faster - for me - than anything else (26inch squish or 26inch hardtail). however, after roughly 60-70miles, depending on terrain, my back starts to long for some squish. if i thought i could podium, i would just focus on core strength to overcome this issue. because i'm a top half to top fifth kind of guy (i.e. ain't never gonna win, no matter what the steed), and prefer hoisting beers over sit-ups, i think full suspension is wise for anything over 100k. if you are doing a super long race primarily on fire roads and/or groomed trails - such as cohutta - the 29hardtail may be fine though. good luck!
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    29er HT for XC. 29er Soft tail for endurance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    this was about the same question I was going to ask. Im looking for a bike to use for a few adventure races and singletrack riding mostly. My budget is 1500.... looking at the Giant Trance x4 then just tried GF X-cal 29er HT. Any one have any opinions? Both about the same price point, but obviously very different bikes. Thanks!!

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    dill- I've got a Trance X2. I can say the Trance is a VERY VERY capable bike for the adventure race and single track riding as you mentioned. It is an awesome do almost everything bike. I have raced the Trance and I did not feel it was slowing me down but I'm not podium material. If I could only have one bike I'd go with the Trance (IMO). I like the rear suspension and it is very forgiving especially on those epic rides.

I posted because I'm looking fo something lighter and faster up the hills on race days. I *may* do one solo endurance race a year. For the most part I'll partake in team 12 and 24 hour race and my recent personal fav - the offroad tri. That said, my racing time in the saddle is no more than 2 or 3 hours EXCLUDING the solo endruance event. The offroad tri courses I have ridden are not very techical so I feel the Trance's plushness is overkill and that is what got me thinking about a shorter travel bike or a HT 29er.

mtbr member
    Stripped my Trance 1 recently to built up my on one 29er HT...might be biased, but the 29er feels faster in almost everything than the Trance during a race. But still need to do some serious distance on the 29er in one go.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Really

Quote Originally Posted by _daemon_
    Stripped my Trance 1 recently to built up my on one 29er HT...might be biased, but the 29er feels faster in almost everything than the Trance during a race. But still need to do some serious distance on the 29er in one go.
    I just don't find my 29er to be faster then my 26er. The 29er wheels are heavier and I can feel it on climbs. Also, you have a problem with climbing on a 29er due to a roughly 10% higher grear then a 26er. But, as always, each to their own. I ride a 29er because I find them fun.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love how these threads asking which single bike someone should look into devolve into a discussion of the multiple bikes one would need in order to compete.

Seems like either platform has its compromises. Ironically, weight seems to be a knock against both. In the case of the 4" 26er, the weight can at least be assumed to belong to the frame and not the wheelset.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC