Dreaming of single-track.

Power-based training for ultra-mtb events, advice from a pro.

Greetings, everyone.

My coach is a two-time Iron Man winner and he was one of the first pioneers to employ wattage based training back in the day. His name is Michael McCormack and he has a studio here in San Francisco. He was kind enough to sit down with me for a few minutes and answer a few questions about his experiences with wattage based training and how it applies to long-distance mountain biking. I put the 'interview' on my little 'ole blog so if you're interested in getting some insight from a real pro - here it is.

http://24mtb.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/interview-with-michael-mccormack/
    Michael.
    blog
    fb

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    so how does one of these 1h indoor workouts look like?

Dreaming of single-track.
    They're different every week, depending on the time of year. We do a lot of interval work at various power levels. We do lots of 'ladders' where we slowly up the intensity with short breaks - for example: a 10 minute interval starting at 80% and working our way up to well over 100% by the end. Of course the perceived effort changes as we break up that 10 minute interval into smaller chunks. I wish I could tell you that it's one type of work out but it's not.
    Michael.
    blog
    fb

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for sharing.

I own a real indoor bike myself, however, with these type of hard workouts I really have a problem to push myself. It's easier outside on the trail.