mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Post 12 hr effort - Struggling to replace calories spent

I'm heading for my first 24 hour solo in 2 months. I've done many as a member of a 4-person team over the past 15 years.

I've been building my endurance base over the last 9 months with this in mind and my strength and recovery is good for my weekly training load: 1x easy effort long ride around 6-7hrs, 1x 2hr easy effort, 1x 2hr hard effort climbing, 1x turbo 25min hard efforts.

Yesterday I went out on the first of my monthly long efforts at 10 hours, and it extended to 12 hours due to bad weather. Physically today I'm very tired and slow, and very hungry.

What foods can I eat to help replace the calories I used up over the 12 hours?

mtbr member
    Pizza with ranch...

I didnt ride for 12 hours but I rode for 3 and I've been eating everything in sight.

If youre not racing the next day, Grab some controled high calorie junk food.

Pizza
    Beer
    Cheese bread
    French Fries
    Ice cream
    Chocolate milk

Basically you want foods high in sugars and fats.
    because of this even if you dont replace all the calories you burnt, youll at least have some energy and feel satiated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Maybe getting sick? I unknowingly, wore myself down and after three days in a row of three hour rides, caught a cold and now totally feel like crap.. I felt bad the last day, but just figured I'd work it out, but I was wrong..

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Don't go crazy eating a bunch of low quality calories. If you were going through 400 calories an hour you burned approximately 5000 calories. How many did you consume on the bike? That should be a gauge on how much you need to replace. MyFitnessPal app can help you figure out caloric replacement. What is your weight now compared to before the ride? Typically when I feel like what you describe I find I am down 3-5 pounds. After I hydrate well the feeling goes away. That is likely your main problem and not caloric deficit. It is true if you did not eat enough on the bike or right after your ride you probably depleted glycogen stores in your muscles. That can also make you feel tired and weak. Best to eat while on the bike and right after the ride and use carbs/mostly carbs. Post rides I tend to eat fruits and greens with lots of antioxidants to help prevent free-radical damage from all the metabolic by products produced during long efforts. I have protein drinks to replace protein and eat nuts/peanut butter as a source of more protein/fats and antioxidants. But back to my main point, check your weight and hydration as that is likely your big issue after getting caught out on a long ride. Oh yea and a high carb IPA is not bad either unless your under 21. Solves calorie and hydration problems :-)

BBW
    mtbr member
    you should have eaten for the effort/activity WHILE you are doing it. Replace the calories you spent? you need to replace the glycogen stores not the "calories"... also replace fluids
    BBW. MS, RD