Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    64

    Pisgah 111k/55.5k

    Just wondering who did either of these events last year? A buddy and I are planning on the 55.5 this year but I haven't talked to anyone who had raced these. I've never ridden pisgah before, heard a bunch about the trails there but would like to hear feedback on the route and race organizers if anyone has any.
    Thanks

    Pisgah Productions

  2. #2
    Category Winner
    Reputation: teamdicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Just wondering who did either of these events last year? A buddy and I are planning on the 55.5 this year but I haven't talked to anyone who had raced these. I've never ridden pisgah before, heard a bunch about the trails there but would like to hear feedback on the route and race organizers if anyone has any.
    Thanks

    Pisgah Productions
    There was only the 111K last year.

    Pisgah Productions is a top notch promoter, been in the game since 2003.

    I helped design the route.

    What do you wanna know?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

    I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    64
    That's funny, I was just reading a blog post of yours about the route. I guess I wanted to hear if it was a well run event (didn't realize first year of 55.5).
    Also approx difficulty/tech of the route and amount of climbing... Really just any info you felt like giving. a preride is pretty unlikely for us, so going into it sorta blind...
    Comparison to snake creek gap tt maybe?
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Category Winner
    Reputation: teamdicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    That's funny, I was just reading a blog post of yours about the route. I guess I wanted to hear if it was a well run event (didn't realize first year of 55.5).
    Also approx difficulty/tech of the route and amount of climbing... Really just any info you felt like giving. a preride is pretty unlikely for us, so going into it sorta blind...
    Comparison to snake creek gap tt maybe?
    Thanks
    Well, I've never done Snake Creek, but I know of it. The route will be extrememly challenging for only 55.5K. Getting up to Turkey Pen on Black is no joke, and the descent down TP is awesome. There's a bit of up and down on Bradley before a long climb out on 5015 which just gets you to the bottom of the climb up Laurel. The descent down Pilot is one of my favorites in Pisgah, with everything from high speed chutes, big moves, and the Humvee rock garden. Then it's a gradual climb to Buckhorn Gap and over to the hike-a-bike up the back of Black Mountain. From there, it's the rutted, rocky, rooty, ploppy, droppy, flowy, sketchy, loooooooong descent down Black to the finish.

    There will be a lot of climbing. You can't get anywhere in Pisgah without climbing.

    Well run? Hell yeah. Pisgah Productions has there game dialed in.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

    I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    64
    Thanks, that's all good info. Looking forward to it...

  6. #6
    there's no bread
    Reputation: byrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    280
    I am really looking forward to this. It will be my first time riding in Pisgah.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Orthoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    273
    My girlfriend and I are doing the 55k as well. Could you tell me what is going to be supplied at the check points? I'm sure there will be water but will there be some kind of fuel as well? How long is the hike a bike section? While we have done the mileage in races (Dupont/ Tsali / Tanasi) this will be our first serious ride in Pisgah as well. Our mindset is to learn, have fun, and survive, not necessarily in that order. Super looking forward to it!

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Orthoguy; 04-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,553
    Which hike a bike section are you talking about? There is the HAB going up Black the hard way, the HAB getting up some of the hills on Turkey Pen, the HAB getting across all the little creek crossings on Bradley, the million little HABs and one big one on Laurel, the HAB getting down parts of Pilot unless you are supremely skilled at downhill riding, and then the HAB getting back up Black from the other side. You might just think of this as a hiking race with a bit of riding thrown in for fun.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthoguy View Post
    My girlfriend and I are doing the 55k as well. Could you tell me what is going to be supplied at the check points? I'm sure there will be water but will there be some kind of fuel as well? How long is the hike a bike section? While we have done the mileage in races (Dupont/ Tsali / Tanasi) this will be our first serious ride in Pisgah as well. Our mindset is to learn, have fun, and survive, not necessarily in that order. Super looking forward to it!

    Thanks!
    Like Mike said there will be many sections that require hike a bikes. Laurel and black have some of the longest and will require you to lift the bike up and over large rocks. Expect a few creek crossings that could be up to you waist as well. Aid stations are well stocked with pb&j bannas, granola bars, oranges, and water Other items are available. One aid station at the 111K had cola and watermelon.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54
    I'm doing the one eleven. How does it compare to ORAMM and the Swank? Ive heard it's more difficult but in what way? More hike a bike? Climbing? Oh- ill be on a SS too...
    Thanks!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Orthoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    273

    Re: Pisgah 111k/55.5k

    Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's going to be a good time!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtroadie View Post
    I'm doing the one eleven. How does it compare to ORAMM and the Swank? Ive heard it's more difficult but in what way? More hike a bike? Climbing? Oh- ill be on a SS too...
    Thanks!
    More climbing and the trails are more technical. More time is spent on single track. None of the trails are as narly as Farlow gap though. Took me about 9 hours to finish the 111k where I can finish Oramm under 6 hours. I've done the Shenandoah 100 twice and the 111k was much harder.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    More climbing and the trails are more technical. More time is spent on single track. None of the trails are as narly as Farlow gap though. Took me about 9 hours to finish the 111k where I can finish Oramm under 6 hours. I've done the Shenandoah 100 twice and the 111k was much harder.
    Do you mean that P111 was more technical or that the 70 miles of Pisgah was harder than 100 miles at SM100?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    427
    Yes and yes.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54

    Pisgah 111k/55.5k

    Sounds like its gonna be an ass whippin!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    IoC
    IoC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    More climbing and the trails are more technical. More time is spent on single track. None of the trails are as narly as Farlow gap though. Took me about 9 hours to finish the 111k where I can finish Oramm under 6 hours. I've done the Shenandoah 100 twice and the 111k was much harder.
    Aw, man, this is gonna hurt so good.

    Any chance you have a .gpx/Garmin or anything from last year that has the total climbing number? I know this year's route is different, but was looking for some approximation...

Similar Threads

  1. Pisgah 111k - Smack!
    By Logover in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM
  2. PAID SPAM: pisgah 111k entry for sale pisgah productions
    By garthpro in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 01:16 PM
  3. Pisgah 111k Spot Available
    By bbike in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
  4. Pisgah 111k SS gearing
    By asmallsol in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 07:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •