Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pins n needles in feet 10 days after a 24?!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Damitletsride! 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I did my 6th 24 solo last weekend May 11th, and I still have the sensation of pins n needles in my feet, the right one being a lot worse than the left. I don't think this is normal as it's never happened to me before, it hasn't got much better in the last five days or so. Anyone else ever experience this? I just find it very strange.

Thanks,

Michael.

#2 ·
I had pins and needles for a few days and then numbness that lasted long enough I started to think it might be permanent. Really the outside of my left little toe was numb for more than a month.

After that episode I went from a 43.5 Sidi to a 44 and have kept the buckles looser and I have been "fine". Feet still a bit sore but not numb.

#4 ·
To start with I am new on here and probably a bit older than most at 48. I still treat my body like an amusement park and ride like it's my last day. problem in feet if you are older is the neuroma problem at the ball of your big toe. I started having numb foot after 5 days off the bike and went to my doc. If you have pain in the ball you may have damaged the nerves and they need to heal. Inflammation is a main cause. My doc gave me prednisone. Ya prednisone for like poison ivy or tic bites but its an awesome inflammation med and it worked great. that may be a problem if you are young but being older the main cause is the bottom of your feet as you get older loose the thickness of filler/fatty tissue and nerves get hit with pressure alt more. go to your reg. Doctor and get it looked at if it's not going away. Our bodies can heal a lot on their own but you gotta realize a 24 is really putting so much on the body and with adrenaline in a race you get hurt and just don't feel it to later. Good luck

#5 ·
The first few 24s that I did resulted in a numbness in my lower back that lasted for months. No pain, just numb. It went away. I also had a couple of 24s that resulted in a numb little finger on one hand (don't remember which). That also got better on it's own.
The last few races have been issueless.
If it makes any difference, I'm 48 ish too.

Having said that, if you have any doubts, it might be wise to consult a doctor or medical professional. At the very least they will give you more peace of mind than us 'tards on the web.

#6 ·
I would see a doctor. Persistent numbness/pins and needles is nerve damage. Nerve damage can be permanent if not taken care of early on. Stuff like this seems minor and it's easy to just ignore it, but that's taking a gamble. It may just get better with time, but you don't get any do-overs with nerves and there's no rehab to fix it if you get it wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.