mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Perpetuem not working for me, alternatives?

I've been using Hammer Perpetuem in training and racing, but for some reason i cannot tolerate it anymore. my stomach rebels after about 5 hours, and I am really gassy afterwards.

i like the idea of drink mixes for the convenience (i don't like to pit often or long in 8 hour races), what are my alternatives? anyone else have similar experiences?
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    Lots of posts on this, search the site.

I had similar experience and have had good success with Infinit products since. I like that you can customize the mix and it tastes fine after hours in the heat. I'm on my 2nd "recipe" and am getting pretty close to perfect. I have used it consistently on 4-6 hrs rides but nothing long yet.

mtbr member
    Infinit Nutrition
    CyclingCentralVa.org

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    hate to be redundant... but...

Infinit Nutrition ( infinitnutrition.com )

(I had bloating issues with Perpetuem ... and concerns when doing endurance racing in hot conditions since it doesn't last long when not refrigerated. )

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Infinit for me also

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    same here,great stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

another Infinit convert.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Perp is too odd-tasting for me too. I just mix it with Heed and/or Gatorade, and I am golden.

I assume that Hammer knows more about nutrition than I do. I've always figured that I'd screw things up by customizing my own Infinit blends!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Dreaming of single-track.
    To be fair. I use both. I've found that trying to consume straight Perpetuem for 8 or 12 hours is indeed too hard for me to take, but I've also found that I generally mix it too rich... Backing off the directions a little helped me a lot. I also mix it up a bit. I throw in a Heed lap about every 3rd or 4th hour. That helps a lot too.

But I also use infinit. I've found that Perpetuem works best on cooler days and I go with Infinit or something similar on warmer days. Just the way it works for me...
    Michael.
    blog
    fb

mtbr member
    I will take HEED on the bike while racing, and will stop at camp between laps and sip on a bottle of Perpetuem that is kept on ice. Once the Perp gets warm it makes me sick. This seems to work for me.
    in the longer races I try to mix in straight water between bottles of HEED.

Your Best Friend
    If you don't feel brave enough to mix your own stuff, try Carbo Rocket 333. It tastes much better that Perpetuem and is designed for long distance rides.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Another +1 for Infinit. Creating your first mix is not hard, just go through the questionnaire. I started there and lowered the flavor and upped the electrolytes to meet MY needs, YRMV. I am on my second or third batch and think I've nailed it. In reading the Hammer vs Infinit thread people had me a bit worried about my first batch not working well but I did not find that to be the case. Even though I have modified my formula it has been more of perfecting rather than a rework. By customizing my formula I don't need to mix multiple products to get the nutrition I need. I've used Perpetuem since trying Nutrition and it really his hard to go to, especially on 8+ hour events.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Infinit for me. I put a 3-hr mix (4 scoops) into a 70oz. camel back . Just did LV100 and flipped out camel backs when needed. To supplement this, I also use EFS quickshot (gel) in my jersey pocket for addtional cals and electrolytes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the same problem with Perpetuem... very gassy from both ends, but Hammer's Sustained works fine for me.

Perpetuem has some fat in it which is supposed to help you body utilize it's fat stores. Lean riders and racers who ride at a high percentage of their max heart rate may have issues with Perpetuem. This is why Hammer keeps the old standby Sustained.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, ordered some infinit, seems to be the strong favorite. thanks everyone.

You down with entropy?
    another Infinit convert here too. 3 seasons on it so far.
    I had used sustained energy previously but during my first hundo it did not go well, my stomach cramped up and lead to the dnf.

for trying out Infinit or any other new product make sure you use in during the longer training rides. I also suggest trying to goose it a bit on a training ride to simulate race day. Even with trying to keep an eye on HR and effort race day, i always seem to reach a bit more.

I think this is what did me in with the sustained energy, while I am fine up to a certain HR range pushing over that did me in. When i switched to Infinit I went as far as to try and cause issues to see what happens, for example with my protein endurance formula and going out for high effort hard rides.

Waiting for Godot
    this is an easy one and you answered your own question.

works until hour 5. what is happening your effort is going up every hour. by hour 5 at the same effort your heartrate and effort is in a xc race mode instead of endurance rate.

perpeteum is great for lower effort, but not so good if you push it. sustain is the product for longer, higher effort. mixing in heed would work. but not as good.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Infinit FTW, literally. I took a chance (dumb, I know) and used Infinit without any testing in training first in an 8 hour event this weekend. I won overall. on my next batch i'll dial down the flavor a little bit, but i was very happy with the results. water and infinit is all i took took in for the day. thank again for the recommendation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You can call and get a phone consult for your infinit mix. I'm on my third tweek and will be running two seperate mixes in my upcoming 24 solo. I use my normal mix and after 4-5 hours, I switch to my light mix with caffine. The protien is cut back in this mix. Then back to my normal mix. Do an internet search for a 10% off coupon too.

Some things you will want to know for your custom mix are:
    Sex, age, wieght, body fat %, normal or heavy sweater, any issues you have had in the past, and length of event.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    everyone I know who's used Perp. eventually can't stomach it anymore and has to use something else.

my wife uses power bar endurance formula and gels. much lighter on the stomach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds ridiculous, but I've had good luck mixing two parts strawberry Quick, one part instant coffee, and one EmergenC. I'm sure people will shoot this to pieces, but works for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottytheoneandonly View Post
    everyone I know who's used Perp. eventually can't stomach it anymore and has to use something else.

my wife uses power bar endurance formula and gels. much lighter on the stomach.
    Well, you don't know me, so your statement still holds, but I've been using Perp for ages, and still swear by it, especially when mixed 50/50 with Heed or Gatorade. My wife really swears by the stuff.

Regarding Yosarian's comment below, whatever works for you is great, regardless of how it sounds. It's just a question of easily digested calories, electrolytes, and maybe or maybe not a bit of protein on the long efforts.

I suspect that Infinite would work great for me, also, but the "preachy" attitude about it gets a bit old. I've used Perp in every 100 miler I've entered, and I've won every time (Old Guy age group, admittedly).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Throw something I heard about yesterday...that is interesting

I was chatting with a couple ultra runners yesterday who mentioned this product they had been using on their ultra's this year.

Seems interesting, it's more of compliment to the digestion of fuels than a fuel itself.

How VESPA Works
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    Forget all of those high $ endurance drinks! Seriously... keep it simple. I've done over 30 endurance races (100mile, 24 hr, etc) and after puking, diarrhea, gas, bloating... here is what i have settled on:

hydration: water + electrolyte tabs (mostly just salts- 3/hr or more)
    nutrition: bagel chunks, banana chunks, a cookie or two, a bit of pepsi... simple non-process stuff.

no: clif/power bars, gels, goos, electrolyte drinks (gatoraid, heed, perpetuem, nuun, endurolux, etc).

your results may vary!! best thing is to test out your eating/hydrating/nutrition scheme if you can.

(Note, for cross racing, i slam down a bottle of heed and several gels an hour out... so i'm not against the stuff, but it just doesn't sit well when going for longer than about 5 hrs)

[i'm not a fly-by-night rider. I'm cat 3 road and cat 1 mtn- i take my cycling and training seriously]