mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Pedal advice needed

I’m running harder this year along with higher mileage than in the past and have started having some pedal problems. I’d like to know what pedals most XC endurance riders are using these days. I’m thinking of trying XTR 980’s next. I like the Time pedals but they just don’t hold up. The last carbon set wore out at the inboard bearing in exactly 2 months. The set before that was carbon 8’s. They lasted 3 rides before the adjustment screw broke!
    I have a 100-mile event coming up in less than a week and need another set of pedals.

Thanks…

mtbr member
    Speedplay Frogs. Simple, durable and really nothing to break.

Happy Trails

Pedal advice needed

XTR 980. Low profile and durable, and cleats are good for the occasional HAB. It seems like there were some bearing problems some people ran into when the current version was initially released (including my riding bro' but his were warrantied) but I've had good experience with mine, albeit only for a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    Speedplay Frogs. Simple, durable and really nothing to break.
    +1 on the Frogs. I tried them sort of as a last chance attempt at dealing with a knee problem. No other pedal comes close to them, float-wise. I have been super pleased with every aspect, smooth bearings, easy entry and release, solid cleat/pedal connection, light weight...

AZ
    banned
    XT's, newest pair are 4 years old and just keep on going.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've been happily riding my Time ATAC Aliums for ages. I dunno, maybe they go too small and light for the fancy ones?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    At a much lower cost, just a touch more weight, and greater durability than XTR pedals, XTs are probably the best value.

I personally prefer eggbeaters, as they have never given me any trouble in many thousands of miles riding them. Others' experiences with their durability have not been the same.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Another vote for xt pedals, I have been using 2 sets for 3 years and a few thousand miles on each without any problems. As a reference I weight 260 without great and ride fairly aggressive rocky terrain with quite a few rick strikes per ride. They look pretty beat but still work very well. Might replace them next year, but we will see.

Btw I have used time atac alums ans frogs in the past as well. I like them both a lot for different, both for different reasons but neither are as reliable. i could be temped to use both again when i better access to parts again
    27.2 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Appreciate all the recommendations!

Someone mentioned the Alumi ATACs. I’ve had pretty good luck with those older Aluminums myself. That was a pretty good pedal. But not the new stuff… I’m guessing Just under 1,000 miles was put on the failed Carbon 8’s in 2 months. The 250 last week finished them off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    XT, Eggbeaters, and Frogs seem to make up the majority of pedals at any given endurance race.

I love just about everything about Eggbeaters, but switched to XT a year ago, and they seem to take rock hits a bit better (but can still be broken!).

Isn't there a new Frog replacement coming soon (or maybe available already)?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Times come in two basic varieties. Those with drawn wire clips and those with some sort of cast metal clips. At the cost of slightly greater weight, the drawn wire clip design is more durable and the clips on each side of the pedal are independent of each other so a rock strike doesn't unclip you. The drawn wire varieties are less expensive too. Look for ATAC XC 2 or XC 4. I have the predecessor of those and they've been very durable.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post

Isn't there a new Frog replacement coming soon (or maybe available already)?

Speedplay has been promising a new pedal for years.....

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Speedplay has been promising a new pedal for years.....
    My problem with Frogs has always been this:

Yes, the pedal itself is totally simple. However, the retention and release mechanism is up in the shoe. So the pedal is like a cleat, and the brains are in the shoe.

Jam mud, sand, very small stones up into that thing while on HAB duty.

If you want and need to have the most durable AND robust pedal I just don't see an alternative other than shimano.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

It ain't easy being Green
    Eggbeaters. I like their #2 variant; reasonably light and tough and super easy to clip in & out. The key is to rebuild them every season (bearings and springs) and toss them if you bend the wings with rock strikes. I had my share of failures (broken springs and/or failed bearings) back in the day when I didn't maintain them but at $80/pair they cost less than a decent pair of race tires...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Whoops, got that backwards. It was the carbon XC's that lasted 1k in 2mo. The Carbon 8's were worse. They held up for like 3 short rides. They were packaged in a fancy tin container though!

Great info! I was initially interested in the XTR's because I wanted some seriously tough race pedals. Based on comments and reviews I reconsidered and placed an order for XT's instead. To be exact: Shimano Deore XT PD-M780

I've used Time for years. Should I expect any issues switching from Time to SPD? Have to run a 100+ mile event this weekend...

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    ...I was initially interested in the XTR's because I wanted some seriously tough race pedals. Based on comments and reviews I reconsidered and placed an order for XT's instead. To be exact: Shimano Deore XT PD-M780...
    The subject of Shimano mountain pedals came up a few months back. I was running a pair of XTR PD-M970s that I got in probably 2007, maybe even '06 that had been perfect other than a worn plate that I was able to get replacement part for. Squirted new grease in there maybe in 2010. Lots and lots and lots of miles and lots of beatings against rocks. I had them on my 2010 StumpJumper for a season and they hit rocks on every damn ride with that stupid bike. I have weighed between 180 and 210 during those years, so I'm no lightweight. Tough-ass pedals.

When I heard the anecdotes about the 980s I immediately went looking for a NOS pair of 970s because I just felt like it was time even though my old pair still work perfectly. They may have worked out the problems with the 980s, but those 970s were one of the single best purchases for bikes I have ever made, so I wanted a chance to get another 7 years out of a new pair. (my old pair are on the shelf and I would be totally confident using them again, probably put them on a second bike at some point)

Shimano has had a tradition of basically taking the previous year's XTR and making it the current year's XT. So your 780s may be the best current model shimano pedals for durability. I'm going to take a pair out of the box at my LBS next chance I get to see how similar they look to my 970s...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    TomP,
    Way to go man, I’m jealous for sure! Salida is one of my all time favorite camping spots! I’ve traveled by motorcycle to just a few miles north of the town and camped on the Arkansas River.

You’re probably on to something with the XT/XTR comparison. It’ll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Thanks to everyone for the all for the advice. Looking forward to trying out the new XT’s when they arrive.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    You’re probably on to something with the XT/XTR comparison. It’ll be interesting to see what you come up with...
    Yeah, I didn't make that clear. I came up with a brand new pair of XTR PD-M970s. After reading about the 980s here I found a NOS pair on eBay.

So I have a super worn pair of 970 XTRs in my spare parts that are still perfectly functional, and a new pair of 970s with just this season's miles on them on my primary bike. I assume I'll still be riding on XTR PD-M970s in 2020 if I'm still riding at all.

I also have two sets of PD-M540s on my secondary bikes. Very good robust pedals and a good value, but lots heavier than the XTRs.