mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Which Pack to use (or not)

Good Day Racers,
    I have been bouncing around ideas for hydration during 3-6 hour races and am looking for your comments.
    The races I do are mostly in BC so pretty technical trails. Test of Metal series, furious3 in Fernie and TR3 in Fernie.
    Last season I used a Deuter pack that was very comfortable but a bit on the big side. The main problem was I could not reach my jersey pockets while riding so I had a bugger of a time reaching for gels and whatever.

The guy i ride with used a camelbak Rogue that is short enough to ride above the jersey pockets and does not have a waist belt. He likes it a lot but he is a shorter guy and I am 6'4, so I am not sure how the pack will fit and feel on the longer rides. I am also sceptical about the pack not biffing me in the back of the head on the technical stuff. Any big riders out there tried this pack?

Anybody tried the Osprey Viper pack without the waist belt on or tried the Osprey Raptor for racing? I am worried it might be a bit heavy but the waist belt pockets would solve the jersey pocket issue. Again any big guys tried the fit of say the Raptor 6 or Viper 5?

I thought about no pack at all but my FS bike only has 1 bottle cage and with the technical trails I would be worried about losing bottles anyway.

Anybody tried just a waistbelt bottle holder?

Looking forward to your help.

mtbr member
    Try one of the Camelbak Charge 10 LR or if you can find one, an older Octane LR (LR as in Low Rider) packs. octane lr - Bing
    The Rogue is a horrible pack, IMO, and would be a disaster for a taller rider. The weight will be between your shoulder blades where it will mess up your balance and more importantly put a lot of strain on your traps. The LR packs or similar packs keep the weight down low, no pain, no strain.

Livin' the Dream
    I'm 6'3" and use a Wingnut Hyper pack. Sits low so no issues with hitting the back of your head , plus it wraps around to allow you to reach side pockets. Very choice.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    I've used a camelbak Rogue in the past like you said it is small enough to let you use jersey pockets. It does move around a little bit since it has no waist belt. Last season I bought a Octane LR and like it a lot better. The weight of the water sits so low that you don't notice it and its lighter then the Rogue. You won't be able to use your jersey pockets with it due to the side wings but they have little pockets in them which work great for gels/blocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Which Pack to use (or not)

I just ordered an Osprey viper 9. It's a tad bigger than the viper 5 but outwards. No difference in length iirc. I haven't recieved it yet so I have no thoughts, but I did demo the viper 5 and it was the best feeling pack ice ever used. I have a 20l lafuma with a 2l Osprey reservoir but the Dang pack is so cumbersome. I'm happy to replace it. I like having a little extra space and noticed the difference from 5-9 is only a few ounces plus a 3l reservoir. I'll just fill it half way for races.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts when I get a ride with it.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Try one of the Camelbak Charge 10 LR or if you can find one, an older Octane LR (LR as in Low Rider) packs. octane lr - Bing
    The Rogue is a horrible pack, IMO, and would be a disaster for a taller rider. The weight will be between your shoulder blades where it will mess up your balance and more importantly put a lot of strain on your traps. The LR packs or similar packs keep the weight down low, no pain, no strain.
    I've got this pack, it is great for 3-4 hour rides.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexington View Post
    ...Anybody tried the Osprey Viper pack without the waist belt on or tried the Osprey Raptor for racing? I am worried it might be a bit heavy but the waist belt pockets would solve the jersey pocket issue...
    I'm a big fan of Osprey packs. I have a Raptor 18, which was the biggest Raptor they made. And they apparently have dropped that size from the line now. I really like it, but it's a chunker. Don't know how heavy the smaller Raptor packs are or whether the redesign was meant to reduce weight, but I can tell you that the 18 is heavier than any similar sized pack I've hefted.

My Raptor is very nice to live with, so I use it even though it is heavy. I like the waist belt pockets and configuration. I use it lots, but if I'm racing and actually wearing a pack I'll take an old (like 7 year old) Deuter Race X Air that's super lightweight. I keep it around mainly for that, a light pack that will take a three liter bladder but isn't good for carrying much else.

The Raptor 18 is my long ride pack, and the venerable Talon 22 is my REALLY long ride pack. The empty Talon 22 is way lighter than the empty Raptor 18, but it's more or less a big rucksack.
    Last edited by TomP; 03-04-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyon93108 View Post
    I've got this pack, it is great for 3-4 hour rides.
    which one do you have, the Charge or the Octane?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Which Pack to use (or not)

I've been using a camelback lobo. Works great as you can take the waist belt off and taking the waist belt off, I can access my jersey pockets. It works good as a smaller 'race' pack but I find it too small if your needing to carry much in terms of extra clothes etc. I find it quite light and even without waist belt it doesn't move around very much

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For me, if it's race time, the only pack is the small, nearly storage-free Camelbak that allows me to access jersey pockets.

I really don't give a darn if it bumps me in the helmet once every couple of miles. I'm racing. I'm focussed. Plus, that mostly happens as the pack nears empty, so it's kind of like being bumped by a tissue.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexington View Post
    which one do you have, the Charge or the Octane?
    Sorry, the Octane.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    the wingnut looks cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    CB MULE NV - normal mtb rides that are an hour+
    CB Classic - Racing
    Bottles - road riding or on the beater mtb that goes on really short double track rides.

mtbr member
    I got a Viper7 for my 3+ hour races. I have ridden with it a few times but I havn't raced with it yet.