Thread: Ouachita

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Ouachita

Well, that filled up fast! 13 minutes?

Who's in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Darn! I thought it was 8 a.m. Central time registration.

I would like to buy a spot if anyone decides that they cannot make it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well, there's a price for everything j/k I'm excited to get a shot at it.

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm in!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

BBW
    mtbr member
    In again! woot!!!!!!!!!!!
    BBW. MS, RD

Church of the Bike
    In for the race. I wasn't planning to do it but the wife snagged me a spot while I was sleeping in on my day off. Training started this afternoon since I'm massively out of shape.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinistry View Post
    In for the race. I wasn't planning to do it but the wife snagged me a spot while I was sleeping in on my day off. Training started this afternoon since I'm massively out of shape.
    LMAO!!!! what an intelligent wife; way better than telling you "get your a$$ in shape you lazy"
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinistry View Post
    That's cool! I guess she took care of your New Years resolution!

I'm in for the SS class.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll be in SS as well. Signed up for geared on accident... in the rush to get two people signed up before the close. But, they are switching me over.

Wondering what I've gotten myself into

Lots of friends who have done it though... some who have won it. So I've at least heard some stories

mtbr member
    Im in.. I think its one of (if not the) BEST race of the year.. Those people know how to put on a race down there.. CANT WAIT!!!

So what climb do think is the toughest?? I think its the one right after descending Blowout mountain.. But maybe its the one at the finish line...

Dirty South Underdog
    I've always thought the toughest was the one on the Womble. It's where I've seen (and been part of) the walking dead w/cramps, heat exhaustion, & the like
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Heat exhaustion in early April is a foreign notion. (As I look outside to the current blizzard that is blowing through )

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    I've always thought the toughest was the one on the Womble. It's where I've seen (and been part of) the walking dead w/cramps, heat exhaustion, & the like
    Is that the one with a sharp turn to the right at the end that you ride on the edge of the cliff or mountain? That one takes a while; I always ask myself if I should stop pedaling because people walking are going almost the same speed but my pride doesn't let me stop lol
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Is that the one with a sharp turn to the right at the end that you ride on the edge of the cliff or mountain? That one takes a while; I always ask myself if I should stop pedaling because people walking are going almost the same speed but my pride doesn't let me stop lol
    I remember riding along side a cliff or mountain but for the life of me couldn't say where that was at.. everything is a little hazy from that day LOL..........

aim high
    Aug 2012
    This one snuck up on me, but my alarm is set for Syllamo pre-reg. Also, if anyone finds an open spot I'll take it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For those of you that SS, especially those that have ridden the OT on SS, what gearing did you decide was the best? As you know, there is a good bit of climbing and road...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've had friends do 32x18 for the 60 and 32x20 for the old 80mile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just a couple days away. Who's getting excited? Still fussing over that gear I'm going to put on the SS. It's a hard course to SS on it seems, with the hard climbs and then lots of road. I'm thinking 32x18 and calling it good. I know I'm going to be pushing (along with everyone else) in the really rocky hike a bike stuff and the very steep climbs.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Weather is looking decent.... Certainly better than lat year which I thought it was unexpectedly hot, for me at least
    I'm in for Sunday. If you see a guy with a raw turner b1tching along say hi
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Get ready for wet feet! The weather is looking good for the tour and race but we've had a lot of rain this week. Excited for sure! I run 32x20 on most everything Ouachita related. If you ride similar terrain on 32x18 regularly, my hats off to you, sir!
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think there will be plenty of terrain there that I couldn't ride on my geared bike I'll bring a 19 and reevaluate after some preride action. I couldn't imagine riding 20 miles of road on a 32x20. I think I'm in for a rough time

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes, no doubt the road sections will be tough for ss. This will be my first time for the race but Ive ridden the route a few times. The first 9 miles on road is overall a good climb once off pavement. Ive ridden this section with geared riders and ss was definately not a disadvantage. The section of road between the oauchita and womble is flatter and will be big ring time for geared riders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sweet, I appreciate any comments. I haven't been there before, but have lots of friends whom have done the race over the years. Most of them told me to stay away from the SS But, the geared bike has a couple nagging problems that I haven't had time to sort out... so this is what I've got.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had considered switching to geared, that is until I rode it with SS, then decided SS was the way to go for me.

spin spin spin.....coast....spin spin spin....coast.....