mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Ouachita 2014, who's in?

Who's going to sign up this year? Last year was my first foray and I had a blast! I will however, be riding a geared bike this time

Anyone know the time that reg opens? I thought I had seen it listed as 3am (eastern) on the 16th of December... but I can't seem to find that on Bike Reg now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Who's going to sign up this year? Last year was my first foray and I had a blast! I will however, be riding a geared bike this time

Anyone know the time that reg opens? I thought I had seen it listed as 3am (eastern) on the 16th of December... but I can't seem to find that on Bike Reg now.
    Pretty sure that time is correct. I got an email notice earlier this week.

Great event, fills up immediately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    DH signed us up for the 65-mile tour (gulp!); all race categories are closed on Bike Reg but the tour option for Saturday is still open and we took the plunge, so we need to start planning today for accommodations.
    Best info on accommodations and what have the camping/cabin/motel experiences been for those who have participated previously? Likely we'll camp in our van, but if not, what are other close by options? Best to query in Arkansas forum, here or where? Thanks.
    Last edited by June Bug; 12-16-2013 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Mountain Harbor Resort is really nice, if you want to rent a cabin for a few days. They have small ones, up to houses to rent.

They also have a small hotel that is very affordable and is clean and nice (for the money).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    DH signed us up for the 65-mile tour (gulp!); all race categories are closed on Bike Reg but the tour option for Saturday is still open and we took the plunge, so we need to start planning today for accommodations.
    Where is the best info on accommodations and what have the camping/cabin/motel experiences been for those who have participated previously? Likely we'll camp in our van, but if not, what are other close by options? Best to query in Arkansas forum, here or where? Thanks.
    If you're camping in your van, you can stay just across the road from the school. Registration, pre-ride breakfast, staging area, showers in the gym, all right there at your fingertips.

Dirty South Underdog
    After several years of racing the OC, I decided to take a year off from it and give Warrior Creek a try.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    In. Bringing a crew of 4, all OC virgins. 3 SS'rs and 1 geared. How much of it is gravel/road?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Last year was my first. I did it on a SS. There is a LOT of gravel/road. But, if there were any less... it would be over the top brutal. The start is tough on the SS, mostly because it's easy to get behind too many geared riders going ingot he single track. Then they all drop into their granny and totally screw you, like 20rpm territory... then you blow up

The middle section road can be rough if you're by yourself and it's windy. It's a long drag to get over to the Womble.

I didn't sign up this year. My wife has a week of vacation leading up to the race and I think we're gonna go to Moab/Grand Junction and ride for a week instead.

You'll love it though. I wish I were going again... and will in the future. The people that put the race on and volunteers are the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks. We all did the BT Epic this year w/ 15ish miles of road/gravel. Basically same thing happened there. Had a decent position going into the ST, but a quick flat put me 60+ places back...was a struggle to get around people until the first SAG...the gravel/road in the middle was a nice break!