mtbr member

Optygen vs. Cordygen5?

I was looking at these two products and they seem, somewhat, similar but the Cordygen5 is half the price of the Optygen... Anyone have any experience w/ both these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I have...

not tried either, but next season I am going to give Optygen HP a try. Anything that seems to help O2 uptake and utilization is worth a try. The stuff is expensive, I'll probably use it for my most intense training block, and the month of my most important races. It is always hard to tell if something like this helping, as fitness levels always fluctuate and one cannot always know what accounts for the increase in performance, but I have tried something that else that seemed to work for me: Eleuthero Sentococcus (spelling could be wrong). This is an herb related to or a type of ginseng. I learned about it in alpinist Mark Twight's book "Extreme Alpinism". Apparently it helps O2 utilization/uptake for high altitude climbers. I loaded with it one year leading up to a high priority race, and it really seemed to help.

Grip it and rip it.
    interesting... i'd like to hear from some1 thats tried them.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I won't even mention Alberto Contador and his endorsement but I got the word from a friend on the BMC Pro team and he says he won't train without Optygen. So I have been a faithful user starting when I began my build/peak for fall 2009. There is no way to measure the difference I felt, but I can say that at $50/month it will certainly be a part of my training from now on.

mtbr member
    Ive heard good things about the Optygen but I was more curious about the Cordygen5 since its half the price, lol. Im not rich so I like best bang for the buck... If it is inferior then I wont even mess w/ it and Ill go w/ the Optygen HP.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have used Optygen HP and the new prototype HP. They are awesome! After about 2 weeks, I noticed about a 20% increase in endurance. Most noticeably in my cardio. I am willing to try cordygen5 and see what happens. I am about to start another round of Optygen for some races I am doing this winter. I will let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I hear a lot more people love the Cordygen5 but I know a lot of cyclists (specifically) use the Optygen, I guess b/c they sponsor cycling teams so they see the name more often...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmurv
    I I noticed about a 20% increase in endurance. Most noticeably in my cardio.
    How did you notice this 20% increase in endurance? Im just curious.
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    KonaEnduroJC: I noticed the increase in the effort required to cover a distance. My average time to cover one of the time trial routes (44 miles) goes down by about 15 to 20%. Also, in the gym, I notice about the same. I usually do 30 rep sets of my circuits. I normally start to feel it at about 20 reps. After about a week on Optygen HP, I can push right through to 30 reps.

I have been on Cordygen 5 for just over a week now. I started on Optygen HP for the week before while C5 was being shipped. After 1 week, I started to feel and see the boost from Optygen HP. After 1 week on C5, I feel like I have regressed. My gym workouts have gone back to the way they were before I started on Optygen HP. I have noticed not enhancement to my performance on the bike with C5.

I hope this is enough for everyone. I have a race on 11/21 and want to get back on Optygen HP. If there is any other questions, please feel free to ask.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What about EPO BOOST has any one tried it and can compare it to Optygen?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Can anyone tell a real difference between Optygen original and Optygen HP?