Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Harmonius Wrench

Official T.I.V6 Thread

fastski guy: We need an official TI V 6 thread....
    Okay, so you want an official T.I.V6 thread?

Here's the deal so far:

Grinnell Iowa will be the start/stop point. The city is pumped about this, we have a local bike shop on board already (Bikes To You), and big plans with a well known sponsor that have led to some ideas for a great finish line spot, a possible end of race hang out venue that would be appropo to the event, and more.

The route is semi-planned out pending recon. There will be surprises there as well.

Registration will be announced around Thanksgiving time. The way we have done it for the past two T.I. events will be used again. (Post card/ no entry fee)

d.p. and I are stoked about this one. We hope you are too.

There.

That's the beginning of "The Official T.I.V6 Thread". Now it's up to you guys.............
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Really I am that slow
    Oh boy i can be the first poster! Stoked to get my iowa gravel in! 2010 is the year for fixie dave!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Bike Junky
    Jan 2004
    Well, fingers crossed that all things will come together and I will step up to the starting line again. Doubts about being dumb enough to do it fixed again, once was enough. Waiting for word from a local builder on the completion of my next wonder-bike. Hope to share with compatriots as things unfold going into late April.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm in. Many memories from last year. A hang out venue would be cool.

Corn Fed Iowan in Arkansa
    Ever have anyone come up from Arkansas to do the T.I?

Also thoughts on using a Surly Cross Check frame? Have seen a few past T.I. photos with a Surly CC in them. Wonder how the frame fared after 300 plus miles.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by FuegoFuego
    Ever have anyone come up from Arkansas to do the T.I?

Also thoughts on using a Surly Cross Check frame? Have seen a few past T.I. photos with a Surly CC in them. Wonder how the frame fared after 300 plus miles.
    Lots of Cross Checks have competed in Trans Iowa's past. It is a great rig for "gravel grindin'". It'll hold up just fine.

To my knowledge I don't think we've had an Arkansas competitor.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Surly Cross Check

A Surly Cross Check is THE perfect bike for Trans Iowa!

Don't believe the hype of needing a fat tire bike. A cross bike, or at least cross tires on a 29er, are the way to go!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've been dreaming of a sub-24hr finish since Eki, Pramann, and I missed a turn early in the morning and called GT. I'm looking forward to toeing the line with everyone, even with a target on my back. Who knows, maybe I will have an actual target on my back...

mtbr member
    What a great race
    What great friends
    What Great Hills
    What an incredible long wait

Ari

mtbr member
    I love this event and the atmosphere it has. This event singlehandedly gets me off of my butt and training over the long, cold winter. For all the talk of Obama's health plan, I know the number one thing keeping me healthy is Trans Iowa.

Thanks G-Ted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

... and if we just ...

Looking forward to springtime in Iowa and another TI adventure with old and new friends.

mtbr member
    Giggles,
    Too bad you missed todays ride. It was a meatgrinder of a ride all the way to Wisconsin. I really think I had a headwind all day.

mtbr member
    I forgot!
    Anyone have experience with Dinotte lights?? I picked up a helmet model and am waiting for the batteries to charge.
    thanks
    Ari

Irritating.
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisitidis
    I forgot!
    Anyone have experience with Dinotte lights?? I picked up a helmet model and am waiting for the batteries to charge.
    I have a 200L that I like a lot. I'm thinking about trading it in for a 400L as I want more lumens. My lumens, let me show you them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thinking about making a return visit...
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd love the opportunity to help you suffer... If you make the trip I've got space in MPLS for basecamp. That offer goes for anyone traveling to through the cities for TI.

just riding along
    I can't tell if watching the race this year gave me more or less incentive to attempt it again.

Corn Fed Iowan in Arkansa

Host City Grinnell

I was in Grinnell this summer.

Took my son there to visit Grinnell College.

Their basketball team averages in triple digits, sub five in at a time, even got a game on ESPN several years back.

Grinnell will be a great host.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Cannot wait to get back out to Iowa for attempt #2. At least I think I am excited about it - the pain, the tears, the hills, the dogs - hmmm - are we crazy or what? See you last weekend of April
    The Only Thing Stopping You is Pain - And Pain Is BullSh*t! Christopher Purnell

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Paul ! You signing up for 2010 ?

mtbr member

No good

Did Nebraska really get pounded with snow already?
    ari

Harmonius Wrench
    Did Nebraska really get pounded with snow already?
    ari
    Ah.......yes, yes it did! 14 inches on the site of the Big Wheeled Ballyhoo, to be about exact.

Anyway, we'll have an Indian Summer. Don't worry about that.

I am currently working on some exciting stuff with d.p. and an as yet undisclosed sponsor/supporter that should make ya'all pretty happy in terms of the social factor of the event. I'm pretty excited about it, but I will not be able to make an announcement until mid-November at the earliest.

Recon will start here in about ten days and I hope to have it wrapped up by the time December rolls around. (Fingers crossed!)

Look for the announcement on Registration to be posted here about mid-November too.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Did you get a beer sponsor? Pizza at the checkpoints?

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    GT, if you need a hand with some central iowa recon or a place to crash or a shop to raid for support, get a hold of me in ankeny.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm Grinell is closer this year. I'm thinking about a reunion. I might have to hit the weight room to push a monster gear this time? 40x18 (26er) probably wasn't big enough for me in V3, though that's hard to imagine even now. I can't hang at 30mph with that gear!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Harmonius Wrench
    JMKM: Did you get a beer sponsor? Pizza at the checkpoints?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Ha! We usually don't have a problem with beer, but I'll have to work on that pizza for ya. Pepperoni or sausage?

markf: GT, if you need a hand with some central iowa recon or a place to crash or a shop to raid for support, get a hold of me in ankeny.
    Hey thanks! Might have to take ya up on that one!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    GT,

Joe also likes those weird soft sort of sugar cookies with that funky icing. I know cause I saw him eat a whole bag in a couple hours. Well I might of had a few too...

Haha the best part about this race, for real, is the people. That's part of the reason I'd like to come back. Well plus the fact that not being from Iowa I have ZERO idea where I am and just following the cues. That's a cool adventure.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    GT,

Joe also likes those weird soft sort of sugar cookies with that funky icing. I know cause I saw him eat a whole bag in a couple hours. Well I might of had a few too...

Haha the best part about this race, for real, is the people. That's part of the reason I'd like to come back. Well plus the fact that not being from Iowa I have ZERO idea where I am and just following the cues. That's a cool adventure.
    Pivvay - you nailed it all right there - great people to suffer along with. So many memories and I just made it halfway. Would love to see the finish line!
    The Only Thing Stopping You is Pain - And Pain Is BullSh*t! Christopher Purnell

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'll stick with the gas station special pizza! Delicious... Yeah, I do like those sugar cookies. We ate some of those after we each ate our own large pizza's on the way out of Butte.

mtbr member
    I built up a surly 1x1 with 29er wheels for training. Anybody have any comments on this idea. The bike rides well and I like the feel of the larget wheels.
    ari

Harmonius Wrench
    Check out the Saturday, October 17th post for some Trans Iowa thoughts.
    http://www.g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/

Leave a comment if something trips your trigger.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Check out the Saturday, October 17th post for some Trans Iowa thoughts.
    I got call into the NORAD boys to see if we can't get an AWAC overflight to get those GPS tracks to resemble something like that fancy stitching on a western shirt.

d.p.

(sheesh, I'm gone for a bit and there's already 30 post,and still 6 mo. out

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bd.sahib
    (sheesh, I'm gone for a bit and there's already 30 post,and still 6 mo. out
    Hey, we're doing better than last year when the thread started by JMKM came to life in August, a full eight months before the event!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Early checkpoint

Hey Ted,

Any chance of having another early checkpoint again this year? It was sure nice to roll into the first checkpoint after 40 miles. Gave us a chance to make any adjustments/changes to the bikes and adjust nutrition as necessary before we set in for the long haul.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by NXSVIE
    Hey Ted,

Any chance of having another early checkpoint again this year? It was sure nice to roll into the first checkpoint after 40 miles. Gave us a chance to make any adjustments/changes to the bikes and adjust nutrition as necessary before we set in for the long haul.
    Yes, the early check point is going to be there again this year. I have it penciled in at about mile 45-ish. After I recon the area I will have a harder figure on that mileage with a report on any amenities that might be available there as well.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Bike Junky
    Jan 2004
    I built up a surly 1x1 with 29er wheels for training. Anybody have any comments on this idea. The bike rides well and I like the feel of the larget wheels.
    ari
    That's exactly what Cale (aka The Locust) was riding to the finish in TI 3. He shaved off the brake mounts, went the disk only route, and had the frame re-powdered for a nice clean look.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think Matt Braun (recently won the SS at the Heck of the North) rode a pink 1x1 last year.

Harmonius Wrench
    Hey all that are into Trans Iowa- I am taking an informal poll on the site( http://www.transiowa.blogspot.com ) concerning Spot Tracker devices. If you are seriously considering T.I.V6, would you pop over, read the 10/20/09 entry, and consider giving me your 2 cents?

Essentially, the deal is that there may be Spot Tracking available for Trans Iowa V6. I am working on the details of this, but need a question answered.

Thanks!!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Dr. Frost
    Hey all that are into Trans Iowa- I am taking an informal poll on the site( http://www.transiowa.blogspot.com ) concerning Spot Tracker devices. If you are seriously considering T.I.V6, would you pop over, read the 10/20/09 entry, and consider giving me your 2 cents?

Essentially, the deal is that there may be Spot Tracking available for Trans Iowa V6. I am working on the details of this, but need a question answered.

Thanks!!
    Is it this?

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

It is to take along for an emergency, right?

Really I am that slow
    Gted i have a unit and if i'm there i'll be using it...
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    Is it this?
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/
    It is to take along for an emergency, right?
    That's the one. It can also send out a signal every ~10 minutes (though sometimes it doesn't get through) and online spectators can watch the race from afar.

Track leaders pool Gted?
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    G-Ted,

The spot tracker is primarily used for remote locations where cell phones are useless. Trans Iowa doesn't technically fit the bill for being the kind of "remoteness" which I think the Spot tracker was designed for. That being said, if any of us crash on a dowhill in the middle of the night away from any farm house (I'm not sure I'd want to wake a farmer up at 3am if a house was close anyway!) with a serious injury, the Spot would direct help to us. You can also program several personal messages into as well I think. If I had one, I'd use it. Are you trying to get a deal from Spot in which all riders could benefit from?

The most appealing part of it for me would be to let friends and family know where I am throughout the race.

Yeah, I'm interested

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by NXSVIE
    G-Ted,

The most appealing part of it for me would be to let friends and family know where I am throughout the race.

Yeah, I'm interested
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    Track leaders pool Gted?
    The reason for the question has to do with these reasons and also (and most pointedly) the desire expressed by support folks and family about my inability to inform them of competitors whereabouts at any time during the event.

I really wouldn't be pursuing this at all if it weren't for that one main reason, but yeah- there are other benefits to d.p. and I as the co-directors of the event.

I'm not in a position to divulge exactly how, or even if we are going to do this. I am in the research mode right now. No decision has been made for or against Spot Tracking as of this point in time.

So hang on folks and wait for a bit until I can work through the details. I'll be more forthcoming when I can speak more clearly on the situation.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Dr. Frost
    The reason for the question has to do with these reasons and also (and most pointedly) the desire expressed by support folks and family about my inability to inform them of competitors whereabouts at any time during the event.
    I'd bet there are only 5 or possibly 10 guys "racing against other riders", maybe we just need a guy on an enduro bike with a chalkboard....

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    I'd bet there are only 5 or possibly 10 guys "racing against other riders", maybe we just need a guy on an enduro bike with a chalkboard....
    No, no, no...........you'll just have to wait and see.

And basically, d.p. and I in the car are already the "enduro bike with a chalkboard" for all intents and purposes.

It has also come to my attention that some are reading into this that I will be requiring Spot Trackers for T.I.V6 and that folks will have to purchase them. Nothing could be further from the truth. No purchase necessary.

I am just trying to find out who has one and who might want one. That's all.
    Last edited by Guitar Ted; 10-20-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've never really looked into it. I suppose it would be a good thing to have. It works whenever I have it on, correct? When I am out training at night? Are you always able to track it online? I'm thinking when my kids get older it would be good to put in their car...

Bike Junky
    Jan 2004
    Planning on toeing the line come April. I have no interest in anyone really knowing anything about where I am, how I am doing or feeling. Just so long as I don't have to make the call of shame to Mark to say that I am DNF!

My wonderful wife gave me the most clear instructions with a look of disgust when I departed for my attendance at TI 3, she simply said: "don't call!" That wasn't just a request to not keep her informed, it was a clear declarative that she thought what I was doing was stupid and irresponsible. I say: "so what else is new?!"

Being able to point to some bit of technology to update the status of "where's dad?" to the kids might only encourage their mocking my strange desire for self-inflicted torture in the form of bicycle adventure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a Spot tracker that I use when I'm out of town and can't/don't want to use the cell phone. It sends my wife and immediate family an email saying, "Everything is going well and I'll check back later." Their email also includes a link to GoogleMaps with my location. I'm still on the fence about sending in a postcard next month, but if I were doing the race in April, I'd definitely bring along the Spot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I need a link to results from last year. For some reason I cannot find them. Any ideas?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by J-No
    I need a link to results from last year. For some reason I cannot find them. Any ideas?
    Look here: http://guitarted1961.wordpress.com/t...r/the-results/
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast