Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official T.I.V6 Thread

39K views 404 replies 49 participants last post by  Arisitidis 
#1 ·
fastski guy: We need an official TI V 6 thread....
Okay, so you want an official T.I.V6 thread? :)

Here's the deal so far:

Grinnell Iowa will be the start/stop point. The city is pumped about this, we have a local bike shop on board already (Bikes To You), and big plans with a well known sponsor that have led to some ideas for a great finish line spot, a possible end of race hang out venue that would be appropo to the event, and more.

The route is semi-planned out pending recon. There will be surprises there as well. ;)

Registration will be announced around Thanksgiving time. The way we have done it for the past two T.I. events will be used again. (Post card/ no entry fee)

d.p. and I are stoked about this one. We hope you are too.

There.

That's the beginning of "The Official T.I.V6 Thread". Now it's up to you guys.............:D

#82 ·
funky-funky-chicken said:
Mark, do you ever sleep? Good thing I wake up early... Guess I'll be dreaming of the sound of rolling tires on gravel.
I don't sleep enough, that's for sure!!.................................

So- You Wanna A Peice Of This?: Or- Trans Iowa Registration Announcement:

It is time! If you have a hankerin' for a heapin' helpin' of Iowa limestone goodness, here's how you get some. Pay attention! The specifics are important if you want to get your name on the roster.

Veterans First! For anyone that wants to toe the line at T.I.V6 that has been in a previous Trans Iowa, you get first dibs on a roster spot. You can start sending your post cards today and Veterans Of Trans Iowa Past (VOTIP's) can be assured they will have the first rights until November 21st!! No new entrants will be accepted at this time. This is to honor those who have supported Trans Iowa with blood, sweat, and tears in the past. You new folks have to wait until after the 21st.

Leftover Spots: Whatever doesn't get scooped up from the 75 available spots after the 21st is open game for all who want to get a post card in. In the past, it hasn't taken very long to fill in the empty roster spots available, but I will entertain all comers until November 30th if spots still remain. Once I reach 75 entrants though, the Roster is filled. However, I will fill in a Waiting List with overflow post cards received up until November 30th.

T.I.V5 Volunteers: If you were a volunteer on T.I.V5 and want in, you have automatic guranteed entry, but you still need to send in a post card.

Now for the pertinent details........................

Post Cards: Post cards must be received with legible writing (judged by me) and include the following information:
  • Name
  • Class (Choose one: Open Men's, Open Women's, or Single Speed/Fixed)
  • e-mail address (make sure it is valid and working!)
  • Phone # (preferably the one you will be reachable at during the event)
  • Past Trans Iowa events you have raced in (if applicable)
  • How many support people will be with you. (This is for pre-race planning)
Again, there is no "official post card", but you must have the information listed above in legible form. I reserve the right to refuse unreadable entries or entries missing information I asked for above.
Send post cards here:
Europa Cycle and Ski
c/o Guitar Ted
4302 University Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA 50613

For further details go to the blog. (post dated 11/13/09)

#85 ·
Jay P said:
Does sending multiple, creative postcards increase a newbie's chances? I think I would like to try this.
I am also curious why I did'nt see a tandem category??
-JayP
I"m pretty sure you just need one postcard JP. And you'll be the first in the tandem category! If the gravel is hard this one will be right up the tandem's alley. Please pack the tow rope for me ;)

P.S. If your travel has you coming thru Denver I can drive or we can carpool.

EDIT: Even though I'd love to see you guys on the Love Shack, TI has *never* had a woman finisher. T-race would rock this thing. Just food for thought.

#86 ·
Thanks Chris.

I guess I will be sending in postcards for both of us. I am not going to even mention it to "T" till the registration is done and I see the results. If we both get in I will wrap it up and give it to her for a gift and let her decide, of course letting her know a female has never finished.

Wow, another level of creativity to get the "hall pass" to do another race...

-JayP

#91 ·
Sent the card out today. I will bring your gratitude gift with me direct from Buffalo.

Many good options - La Nova Pizza & Wings??? Some Genny Pale Ale beer??? Canadian Beer??? Hmmmm decisions decisions. Guess it will give me something to contemplate while I am out on the bike all winter long!

See you in April!

BTW - The kids are off that week does anyone know the name of the water park at the hotel at the exit before Williamsburg from last year. Maybe I can sneak some gravel training rides in a couple of days early while they play at the water park!

Thanks again G.T. & D.P. Your efforts to kill us do not go unappreciated!

#93 ·
so close yet so far

Well my card went off today. All I can say is that I hope the other Winnipeg locals get in because it would be a lonely drive without them . Plus it's always more fun in a group.

As for the tandem couple, I hope you kids get in . Finishing transiowa on a tandem would definitely add to it's storied history.

Dallas " I'm dreaming of a gravel Christmas." Sigurdur

#96 ·
I sure hope my wife didn't follow me out to the mailbox to remove my entry!? I sent one in last year and it seemed to never make it either. Perhaps there is some strong force at work here as I don't see my name anywhere on the roster yet? Cannot take that long for something to get from MN to IA can it?

I guess post card number two is going to have to get dropped in the mail tomorrow.

#97 ·
funky-funky-chicken said:
I sure hope my wife didn't follow me out to the mailbox to remove my entry!? I sent one in last year and it seemed to never make it either. Perhaps there is some strong force at work here as I don't see my name anywhere on the roster yet? Cannot take that long for something to get from MN to IA can it?

I guess post card number two is going to have to get dropped in the mail tomorrow.
With that luck you might want to send #2 and #3...just to be sure.

'Course you could always reframe this....."It is the will of the gods! And only a fool would go against them!"

#98 ·
The postcard is in transit .
Time to start planning only 158 days of training left .
minus two days off per week :110 days left
minus the non productive hang over days :98 days left
minus the usual cold or flu days:91 days left
minus too crappy to ride outside :69 days left
minus but I told you about this weeks ago and you said you would go days:55 days left
minus the Holidays :49 days left
minus the I got a flat and don't feel like changing it today :48 days left
minus the out of town trips with no bike :41 days left
minus the got to work late because the end of the year is near :35 days left
Minus the tapering days before the event :30 days left
So looks like one month of hard riding ahead of me .
Should be enough
See ya there

Attachments

#99 ·
It's funny because it's true-you're probably looking at less than 30 important workouts to whip yourself into shape. Heck, you might be looking at only 15 key workouts, hard to say.

Great picture, I can't wait!

woodbike said:
The postcard is in transit .
Time to start planning only 158 days of training left .
minus two days off per week :110 days left
minus the non productive hang over days :98 days left
minus the usual cold or flu days:91 days left
minus too crappy to ride outside :69 days left
minus but I told you about this weeks ago and you said you would go days:55 days left
minus the Holidays :49 days left
minus the I got a flat and don't feel like changing it today :48 days left
minus the out of town trips with no bike :41 days left
minus the got to work late because the end of the year is near :35 days left
Minus the tapering days before the event :30 days left
So looks like one month of hard riding ahead of me .
Should be enough
See ya there

#101 ·
Fastskiguy said:
It's funny because it's true-you're probably looking at less than 30 important workouts to whip yourself into shape. Heck, you might be looking at only 15 key workouts, hard to say.

Great picture, I can't wait!
Funny those exact words were not anywhere close to coming out of my mouth - more like - Oh Crap I signed up for that again :madman:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.