Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    199

    NoTubes Iron Cross XI - PA

    Not sure this is the right palce to post, but from the pics I have seen, there are quite a few mountain bikes in the event.

    Anyone have experience with it? What's the story with aid stations?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    367
    Probably about 30-40% mountainbikes.This year they replaced a singletrack section with fireroad making it more cx friendly.Great event...excellent aid stations.Figure 8 loop format.
    I'm going with a 29er for the 2nd year in a row.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton47 View Post
    Probably about 30-40% mountainbikes.This year they replaced a singletrack section with fireroad making it more cx friendly.Great event...excellent aid stations.Figure 8 loop format.
    I'm going with a 29er for the 2nd year in a row.
    Thanks. I've got a lower end CX bike and a 29er that is a bit nicer. Kind of torn between which would be better.....I know my salsa spearfish will have me feeling a lot better at the end of the day!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,553
    I rode it 2 years ago on a cross bike that I had owned for less than a week at the time. Was geared way too high and the downhills killed me with the crappy cantilever brakes I had on that bike. Definitely will take the EMD if I ever make the 500 mile drive to do it again.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    261
    I have a choice between my Full suspension 29'r or a cross bike that I borrowed from a friend, what would you guys recommend?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I rode it 2 years ago on a cross bike that I had owned for less than a week at the time. Was geared way too high and the downhills killed me with the crappy cantilever brakes I had on that bike. Definitely will take the EMD if I ever make the 500 mile drive to do it again.
    2 years ago I did it with a crossbike with lower end cant's and thought I was going to die.Disc is the way to go.IMO go with the suspension that way you'l enjoy the race and judge it for next year instead of having a miserable time.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    367

    pThe one long fast descent...Cold Springs rd...is a new addition...very rough chewed up road.Picture alot of flats on that descent.A 29er will be an advantage...that road may intimidate some riders on cross bikes.Speeds descending would easily exceed 30+ mph.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    261
    Yeah if I had a HT 29'r for sure that would be the way to go, only reason I am doubting is that with the heavy dual suspension I am worried that I won't be able to keep up on the dirt road sections (which from what I understand is the majority of the race).

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    367
    If you go with the crossbike...stating the obvious...but go with the largest tires you can.Agreed on some road sections a heavier DS bike would probably frustrate the hell out of you as everybody flies by.In case your wondering I do most of my training/riding there.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    261
    I ended up using my MTB with the cross tires and I believe that I made the right choice, while it sucked some serious a-----s on that crazy walk/crawl up it was totally awesome
    bombing down the descents at almost 50mph, I would have been scared to death doing that with small canty breaks that don't really have any stopping power.

  11. #11
    "They Call Me Bone'z"
    Reputation: facelessfools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,609
    i gps'd at 48.6 mph on my 26'' hardtail. was brutal in all the later climbs but i drafted off the cross bikes on the roads so i really didn't loose out there.
    RAH!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    I ended up using my MTB with the cross tires and I believe that I made the right choice, while it sucked some serious a-----s on that crazy walk/crawl up it was totally awesome
    bombing down the descents at almost 50mph, I would have been scared to death doing that with small canty breaks that don't really have any stopping power.
    Were you the guy I was talking to briefly the 2ng part of the race , red bike, and I mentioned you were in front of me on the runup?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    261
    I was indeed on a red bike, not sure about the conversation.

Similar Threads

  1. Question about the Iron Cross race
    By trener1 in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM
  2. Iron Cross ULTRA cross Michaux State Forest PA
    By Diamond06 in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2013, 08:30 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM
  4. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 10:51 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •