Church of the Bike

The Northshore Race 8/14 (TX 100 miles)

http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=11157 for online registration and details.

The Northshore Trail in the heart of Fort Worth/Dallas is a classic (some say iconic) trail which has finally been looped (mostly) and it allows us to finally put on the type of race the trail deserves. People have been wanting a race at Northshore for years and we're bringing it...

It's races within a race with enough variety of challenges to measure any rider's abilities. A unique endurance format with the ultimate race being 100 miles but we've thrown a 12 hour cutoff into the mix as well. Individual and team challenges for fastest lap/laps and quickest to the halfway mark. We have have an SS open challenge. The date is firm, the venue is great and the field is limited. Our primary focus is to deliver the day of riding that the first race at the Northshore loop should be.

Hope to see you out there.

K

PS: Special thanks to Trail LED, Mad Duck Cyclery and the Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association for all of their help in putting this together

BBW
    mtbr member
    I'll be there in pain but with a smile for 100 miles (solo)

Church of the Bike
    A bit of an update on the race format. Mileage for the loop looks to be closer to 13 miles than 12.5. Total distance to complete will be 104 miles (plus whatever we work out to thin the field at the start). I want to remind everyone that this is a distance race with a cutoff time of 12 hours not a 12 hour race. You must start your final lap with a reasonable expectation to complete within the 12 hours. Actual last lap cutoff will be the 11 hour mark most likely. The race will be over at 11pmish and then the focus will be post race celebrations and honors.

Pulling off the full distance in that time frame in August will be quite an accomplishment. All solo riders who complete the full distance will be awarded with a special memento unique to this event.

Keep in mind that there will be other special awards as well:

Fastest single lap (male/female)

Fastest team back to back laps

52 mile "sprint" winners

and few more that may get thrown into the mix.

http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=11157

Online registration ONLY. There will not be any day of registration and the field is limited. We will most likely limit to 200 total participants (1 team = 2 participants) unless that is filled by 8/1. We will increase the field to 250 if it fills by that point since that will give us time to make arrangements for a larger field. Staging location will be the Heritage primitive camping area between Murrell and Rockledge (the concrete picnic tables) and parking in that area will only be available to racers and volunteers. Feel free to post or PM if you have questions.

K

Church of the Bike
    Preride notes from Brian B.:

26.25 mi in 02:28:48 hours at 10.58 mi/h on eDoz Steel 29er. [Cycling] Two "Kevin" laps at Northshore at 'sustainable' pace for the 100 miler. Each lap is ~13.125 miles. First lap: 1:11, 11.1mph average. Second lap: 1:18, 10.1mph average. Finishing 7 laps (92 miles) in 11 hours requires an 8.35mph average. If I can maintain 9.5 mph all day, I can budget over 1 hour for stops if necessary. That's 13 minutes per stop. I plan to take <3 minutes per stop. Gravy

http://www.mycyclinglog.com/ride_det...509&lid=475115

Everyone be sure to thank him for sharing. Knucks to K-man.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Holy hell heat. 100 miles in mid Tx August? That's insanity!

Bicycle Addict
    Mens Open Relay: Team "Frijoles a la Gringo" see y'all out there.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Church of the Bike
    Announcing a new addition to the sponsor group!

Sun and Ski Sports has graciously offered a nice swag stash and mechanical support during the event. FYI, swag is awarded on a random basis. All entries are eligible to win the goodies not just the fast folks. Don't forget that Trail LED will be giving away a light setup that day/night as well.

As always, thank to each of our sponsors Mad Duck Cyclery, Trail LED and now Sun and Ski Sports.

Here's one for the fence straddlers out there...IF we get 10 entries between today and Saturday morning (8/7) we'll be giving away a brand new Salsa 29er frame. IF we get 20 entries between today and Saturday morning we'll be giving away a complete bike of some sort.. Also, I'll be placing the first shirt order Friday night so entries by then will have their shirts and Spinistry swag before the event.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinistry
    Preride notes from Brian B.:

If I can maintain 9.5 mph all day, I can budget over 1 hour for stops if necessary. That's 13 minutes per stop. I plan to take <3 minutes per stop. Gravy

http://www.mycyclinglog.com/ride_det...509&lid=475115

Everyone be sure to thank him for sharing. Knucks to K-man.
    Actually, if you maintain 9.5 Avg. you do the 104 miles in 11 hours and that leave you with 60 minutes for stops. If you stop each lap (minus the first and last that don't count, that leaves you 10 minutes per pit stop)

Church of the Bike
    Lining up some nice swag* Thanks to our sponsors: Mad Duck Cyclery, Trail LED and Sun & Ski Sports

Checked it out at Mad Duck today and it's a pretty snazzy stand.

*Must be present to win

Church of the Bike

Bicycle Addict
    ^^^ Very cool! ^^^ Too bad i'm on a team
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB
    ^^^ Very cool! ^^^ Too bad i'm on a team
    There are team awards too. Fast lap, Winners' Trophies, Team Fast laps. You can also switch to solo if you wanna go for the finisher flask. Doing the whole 105 will be a notable accomplishment imo.

Church of the Bike

Church of the Bike
    Only two entries away from goal! Bring plenty of fluids. The MADD shelter water fountain is not working and there's no way we can bring in enough water to the staging area. The fountain by the entry gate at Murrell Park is working fine though.

Church of the Bike
    Results with lap times:

http://www.spinistry.com/

I had a great time and it was a tremendous group of racers out there. I really, really liked this format and I want to tweak it a bit from what we've learned. Thanks to our sponsors: Mad Duck Cyclery, Trail LED, and Sun and Ski Sports for their TREMENDOUS support and contributions. Rich, Mike, Luke, Grady. Ric, Steph, Michelle, Davis, Mary Ann, Vic, David and forgive me at the moment if I left you out...WOW, you guys are awesome! I owe all y'all many beers and so much more. We couldn't have pulled it off without the support of my family. Jess, Becca and the wife of my dreams, Jan...Thank You.

A big shout out to DORBA and the Northshore volunteer crew. That trail is fantastic for endurance events. We truly have a showcase trail.

Church of the Bike
    Wow, what an event! The temps never topped 105 though. Several relay teams finished the whole deal and we even had one solo finisher.

Results, vids, pics @ www.Spinistry.com

Hats off to all of the competitors. This one was brutal and they seemed to actually enjoy themselves. Gonna do it again next year.

Members who have read this thread: 0