Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Noob - List of Best XC Endurance Races

Hey all, been riding a little more serious the last couple years, upgraded my bike etc a good amount over the last year...and now I want to acually push myself a bit more and enter some races, not to be the best, but just for the sake of competition and encomplishment. I have heard of (and would love to do the Leadville 100) but what else is out there? What are the best races to try and tackle.

I live in the midwest FWIW.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Laramie Enduro - 111K
    Last edited by EricD4; 10-06-2013 at 07:13 PM.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Whiskey 50

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Tatanka 100- SD
    Mohican 100- OH
    Breck 100- CO

AZ
    banned
    Anything in the Arizona Endurance Series.

mtbr member
    And why are these the "best" races?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Appreciate the responses. My thought about "best" means "a lot of fun and challenging." Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks.

mtbr member

mtbr member extraordinair
    Here is a fairly comprehensive list of endurance races:
    2013 Race Calendar | XXC Magazine
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Butte 100 in Montana and the Capitol Forest 100 in Washington.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    +1 No entry fee, good people, friendly competition. Some of the events had aid stations where we each donated food items, while others had us filtering water & stopping at gas stations. Self-supported, with cuesheets/GPX files provided. Not for everyone, but it is certainly my cup of tea.

The Laramie Enduro has a reasonable entry fee, fast course, excellent aid station support, and the best after party of any event I have ever attended. The LE organization also puts on the Stone Temple 8-hour every September at Curt Gowdy State Park. Although the weather wasn't the best this year, the 14-15 mile lap offers excellent single track riding.

mtbr member
    The Steamboat Stinger is great, 2x 25 mile loops, with only 2mi of dirt road. Singletrack heaven on Emerald Mt, plus all the Honey Stinger product you can eat.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    And why are these the "best" races?
    scenery

terrain

field size

entry fee

avg weather = good

awards

1 large loop vs multiple laps

positive vibe...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There are a lot of good ones out there. It's pretty hard to beat the Breck 100 though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dirty Kanza 200, if you can roll 200 miles in 16 hours or less you get a prize.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you live in the mid west you should try the Lutsen 99er.

mtbr member
    Breck Epic was the best race experience of my life!!!!
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Check out the NUE series. All the races are chosen based on how good they are. All are hard, all are fun.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Mohican and Shenandoah are two of my favourites. Great course, long climbs, single lap. Amazing vibe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
    Breck Epic was the best race experience of my life!!!!
    ok so I keep hearing this is a great race. I live Nebraska. So I ride terrain that is way below altitude, is the Breck 100 doable for a flatlander like me? Not looking to place or anything remotely close to that, for me it is all about the challenge and finishing. And I know about the B30 and the B50 (or whatever they are called). I want to do the "real one", ya know. I guess this question goes for any true mountain race. I appreciate challenges. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    AGREE!

I've done both as well, and they both have their unique vibe. Each has their own memorable parts/aspects too.

IMO...

Mohican (I did it in 2009)- Amazing rolling terrain with some deceivingly tough climbs, and INCREDIBLE singletrack. The Mongolian BBQ they had at the finish was THE BEST post-race meal ever! Also: of note: The great Lakes brew they served was beyond good!

Shenandoah (did it in 08 and 11) - The GWNF is simply stunning. The support and volunteers were nothing short of AMAZING. They make you feel like a NASCAR driver at every aid station, as they literally attack you to see what you, your bike, and your kit may need. They Rock. The gong at the end is a nice touch too. My fiancee' volunteered at checkpint #5, and she was blown away (never been to one of these) with the whole experiece.

just my .02
    Last edited by RSW42; 10-19-2013 at 03:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beltron2000 View Post
    ok so I keep hearing this is a great race. I live Nebraska. So I ride terrain that is way below altitude, is the Breck 100 doable for a flatlander like me? Not looking to place or anything remotely close to that, for me it is all about the challenge and finishing. And I know about the B30 and the B50 (or whatever they are called). I want to do the "real one", ya know. I guess this question goes for any true mountain race. I appreciate challenges. Thanks again!
    The B68 and Breck 100 are really tough races even for guys that ride altitude. They are great races and not much out there like them. There are a lot of flatlanders that come out to do them so train hard and come on out.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    I have never done the Breck 100, I'm pretty new to racing. But I would suggest trying something with less hype. That is what I have done, and it has been great. The Gunnison Growler is a great race.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    I have never done the Breck 100, I'm pretty new to racing. But I would suggest trying something with less hype. That is what I have done, and it has been great. The Gunnison Growler is a great race.
    Is it "hype" if it's true?

The Breck 100 is one of my favorite races. It's stunning really. And it is pretty damn hard. Maybe not the best choice for a first time 100-miler but really depends on what you're looking for.

The Growler is really, really awesome too. It's actually a lot easier to get a spot in the Breck 100 than the Growler though...

Park City Point-to-Point is another stellar race, and another hard one to get a spot for.

Low elevation option- Fool's Gold was fun- though really late season.

Tatanka 100 was also fun.

I like big loops/point-to-points better than laps of any sort. Breck 100 is a nice clover leaf which helps with support options.

Pick one, any one, that is at the time of year you want to race big, looks like it has good terrain, and is in a great place with a good reputation for support and after race atmosphere (Breck 100, Growler, Point-to-point excel here) and sign up.

e

mtbr member
    Awesome, I am getting pumped already reading about this stuff. I am primarily a Cat 1 XC racer but I am preparing to devote myself to the NUE series next year. Perhaps I'll have the guts to register for the Breck 100.

I'll just throw in the El Paso Puzzler, arguably the hardest 50 miler out there. This race is nutty.
    El Paso Puzzler Endurance Mountain Bike Race | Leaving You In Pieces

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast